Student Section Moved Back?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
Was it quieter because the students moved or that we weren't that good? Some of it was the latter but all the games were fairly close in 4th quarter so I think its about 2:1 ratio it was quieter because of student section location.

I think 2-1 may even be strong. We had mostly decent weather and didn't know we were "not very good" (using your term) until the year progressed, but the quieter atmosphere started from day one.

• Agree
Reactions: Raiders70

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Was it quieter because the students moved or that we weren't that good? Some of it was the latter but all the games were fairly close in 4th quarter so I think its about 2:1 ratio it was quieter because of student section location.

I think 2-1 may even be strong. We had mostly decent weather and didn't know we were "not very good" (using your term) until the year progressed, but the quieter atmosphere started from day one.

Eh, I'm not so sure. By time we hosted Kansas State, a ton of air had been let out of the balloon thanks to Baylor and a pretty horrific loss at Kansas. And our penchant for making killer mistakes - the kind that kill crowds trying to get into the game - was already pretty obvious.

I'm not playing the contrarian here and saying that moving the students made no difference. But I don't know how people can be so sure that it did, based on a sample size of one season in which we fielded a mediocre team.

Reactions: Kurttr

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Eh, I'm not so sure. By time we hosted Kansas State, a ton of air had been let out of the balloon thanks to Baylor and a pretty horrific loss at Kansas. And our penchant for making killer mistakes - the kind that kill crowds trying to get into the game - was already pretty obvious.

I'm not playing the contrarian here and saying that moving the students made no difference. But I don't know how people can be so sure that it did, based on a sample size of one season in which we fielded a mediocre team.
The PA and jumbotron programs need to do more to get the crowd involved too. There were to many times during TOs where the stadium was quiet and the jumbotron was just showing the moving I state logo. Need to figure out something more than just a periodic cyclone power chant.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Crowds tend to get bonkers when there's 'Wow' plays and there wasn't a lot of 'wow' last season.

cyclonez7

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
We should just replace the northeast hillside with bleachers and make that the student section

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Has anyone else not gotten an email notification about renewing their season tickets, or am I the only one?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
The PA and jumbotron programs need to do more to get the crowd involved too. There were to many times during TOs where the stadium was quiet and the jumbotron was just showing the moving I state logo. Need to figure out something more than just a periodic cyclone power chant.

I may be wrong but I think they added at least 30 seconds to most TV timeouts this past year. I don't envy athletic department staff who have to figure out how to keep people engaged during longer, more frequent TV timeouts. Being in the stands and watching that guy carry the sign out on the field during TV timeouts that says 3:30 is a major energy killer.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I may be wrong but I think they added at least 30 seconds to most TV timeouts this past year. I don't envy athletic department staff who have to figure out how to keep people engaged during longer, more frequent TV timeouts. Being in the stands and watching that guy carry the sign out on the field during TV timeouts that says 3:30 is a major energy killer.
Screw it. Juicy wiggle every time.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Remember when the new lighting was killing the atmosphere in Hilton? Winning cures all.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012

I still don’t understand football timeouts. Basketball timeouts I know when they will happen and for how long. Is there a time situation for football timeouts like there is for basketball (under 16, 12 etc…)?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I still don’t understand football timeouts. Basketball timeouts I know when they will happen and for how long. Is there a time situation for football timeouts like there is for basketball (under 16, 12 etc…)?

No. They don't have to schedule them because there are enough natural breaks, like after touchdowns, field goals, changes of possession, quarter breaks, or down time during reviews or injuries.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

They have to hit a certain number per quarter (usually 4).

It's why, after a 6-7 minute possession, you occasionally get the PAT-TO-KO-TO sequence.

The bigger problem is not taking advantage of the longer stoppages (review, injury) right away and effectively doubling up on dead time. For example, you get a 3-minute review on 2nd down, then a punt two plays later and take another 3:30 break. Those two breaks could have occurred simultaneously, during the review.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
They have to hit a certain number per quarter (usually 4).

It's why, after a 6-7 minute possession, you occasionally get the PAT-TO-KO-TO sequence.

The bigger problem is not taking advantage of the longer stoppages (review, injury) right away and effectively doubling up on dead time. For example, you get a 3-minute review on 2nd down, then a punt two plays later and take another 3:30 break. Those two breaks could have occurred simultaneously, during the review.
Definitely, they could also say any injury is an immediate 1 minute or 90 second TO if the trainer takes the field. Make reviews immediate full TOS and you could handle a lot of the TV issues and probably shorten the full TV TOs.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
If conferences want to keep getting paid they're not giving up commercial inventory because the networks aren't going to allow it. If anything the commercials will stay the same length and then they'll start adding in layovers during the game between plays.

They won't seem as bad once 5G gets more widespread and can support phone usage during timeouts in the stadium.