Student Fans

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I tried to find some numbers for our past November games. But if I remember correctly, we barely ever crack 45,000 in November...even if its for the North title. :realmad:

DBQ Clone

Oct 4, 2007
Dubuque, IA
If they bowl in the endzone the jumbo-tron MUST go over on the Jacobson building ... my neak was sore turning around to watch all the replays.

Interesting proposal. They'd have to put the scoreboard pretty high though. They wouldn't want to obstruct those nice windows they have in the Jacobson bldg. Something tells me those will retain a clear view of the field.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Unfortunately, I already know a bunch of people who say they "can't make it". As far as I am concerned none of their excuses are worth a darn. With nice weather we may pull a few more fans overall for this game compared with CU, but there will be wayyyyy less CU fans vs KSU fans so the net effect will be lower attendance IMO. I would be shocked if we have any more than 45K there.

Prediction:
Tickets Sold and announced attendance = 47000
Actual butts in seats = 42000

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I would doubt there was 42,000 butts in the seats, I would bet it was closer to 39,000.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Interesting proposal. They'd have to put the scoreboard pretty high though. They wouldn't want to obstruct those nice windows they have in the Jacobson bldg. Something tells me those will retain a clear view of the field.

Yeah, it may not work out - it's the cheap seats verses the big bucks on that one. It's gonna be a problem though, Jamie oughta attend a game in the endzone to see for himself. You need to watch the jumbotron for part of the game to see what happened - and it is crazy to have all those fans spin a 180 fifty times a game.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Yeah, it may not work out - it's the cheap seats verses the big bucks on that one. It's gonna be a problem though, Jamie oughta attend a game in the endzone to see for himself. You need to watch the jumbotron for part of the game to see what happened - and it is crazy to have all those fans spin a 180 fifty times a game.

You could put a jumbotron off to the side on top of the hill...

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Let's just go ahead and buy one of those billion inch high definition screens like everyone else has and use some strategically placed supports to put it ABOVE the Jacobsen building.

Get Pioneer, Sony, Samsung, etc. to put a massive logo of themselves on it. That should more than cover the cost.

This way all 50,000+ in attendence will get a good look at every call that goes against us. And maybe our replay guy will learn not to replay plays that do go our way.

Last edited:

drum1306

Sep 17, 2007
How about we give every fan a headset with built in screens so they can watch the replays....sounds like covering everyone eyes is a safe idea.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Where were the students at saturday? I thought that they have been the best at the Jack in years, and the student section was half full. Please come back for the Colorado game, we need you!!!!:yes:

Where was I? In the front row, where I've been all year and the last 5 years, getting on the jumbotron (again, multiple time), like I have for the last 5 years, stealing the cheerleaders signs to start a Cyclone Power chant before the game, yelling myself hoarse, and face painting a friends sister who is in high school (we smuggled her in)

As for the rest of the student section? Heck if I know, most of the people on this board were in the front row with me

nickwc

Mar 27, 2007
Denver, CO
we were 1-8 and we were having a discussion about ave 50,000. now i wouldn't be blaming too many people let alone the students

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Gotta love this, it's a never ending battle. I'm critical of the students sometimes because when I was in school I hardly ever missed a game unless it was for something I could not get out of like an exam or family obligation. I hate it when any fans, students or public, cherry pick the games they go to bases on winning/losing or the weather. If you want to be a good fan of the team you be a fan that shows up regardless if it's cold or we are not good. If you want to be a fan when they are winning you should be a fan when they are losing!

I just wish for once when the students hear some of these things when people say the student section looked thin that they take offense to it by showing up in strong numbers the next week/game. The students want to hear all the praise they can get when they are loud and do show up, well in my book if you want that you do it EVERY game not just for the big games. If you want the praise you have to take the criticism too when you have a poor showing. I love our student section and I think you guys set the tone and example when you show up well and are loud and that is why people are disappointed when you don't have the numbers show that we were proud to see.

nickwc

Mar 27, 2007
Denver, CO
sorry trav but i don't think talking about it on message boards is going to do much specially since the way i see it, the students that are on these boards are the fanatics and will be at the games.

Dormeezy

Nov 2, 2006
Cedar Rapids
yes, it is disappointing when there are large empty spots in the stadium, but honestly, if people want to spend hundreds of dollars on season tickets and then not go to the games, that's their own choice. It would be great if we had a packed house every game, but that's just not the case. All you can worry about it whether or not you're at the game, so just worry about yourself and enjoy the game.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
Where was I? In the front row, where I've been all year and the last 5 years, getting on the jumbotron (again, multiple time), like I have for the last 5 years, stealing the cheerleaders signs to start a Cyclone Power chant before the game, yelling myself hoarse, and face painting a friends sister who is in high school (we smuggled her in)

As for the rest of the student section? Heck if I know, most of the people on this board were in the front row with me

Man, you are so sweet.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Man, you are so sweet.

How many times can 3 people state they were in the front row in one week? I know someone is keeping track...seriously, good for you, you sit in the front row. Where is that cookie that keeps getting passed around?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I will add, I'd take our students over many around the nation - even though we're struggling to fill that section right now.

We could have a group like Penn State, the mob that attacked a Buckeye fan in a rather cruel manner.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Here's another reason why I get frustrated at the fans that only show up when we are winning. Back when I was a student (98-02) we had some of the best basketball ever at ISU. The first year we went 15-15 and you could get good seats all the time (well sort of, the lower level was rotational reserved at first so you were fighting for better balcony seats usually.) Well then we go 32-5 the next year and people came out of the woodwork and all the sudden by the end of the season you couldn't get a decent seat unless you waited in line outside of Hilton hours before the doors openend. Well where were these same people in the non-conference games when I could show up 15 minutes before tipoff and still get a pretty good seat? And I'll bet you right now you will see this same thing happen when we start getting good again. Right now you'll see half empty Cyclone Alley for most of the season but as they start getting better all the sudden I bet you that the wait outside before games returns again.

Take advantage of the great seats you get now as students because it's a lot different when you are paying more for seats a lot farther away and have to sit around people that want to sit the whole game and you'll regret you didn't make those games more often if you were just a casual fan.

I know I'm probably speaking to the wrong crowd here and most of these students here probably make nearly every gam. But I also bet you they all know someone that cherry picks games they go to as well so I don't think it's a complete waste to try and add a little extra motivation to try and get these people to games by voicing my thoughts here. We used to always get on people's a$$es on our dorm floor or friends we knew that did this until we finally got them to cave in and get off their butt and go to the game.

drum1306

Sep 17, 2007
Pretty sure the student basketball season tickets sold out in September. And you also seem to be forgetting the 36,000 football season tickets. Now, those were both before the games even started for both teams, yet you say they only show up when we are winning?

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Buying tickets and actually showing up are 2 different things. I think Cyclone Alley sold out last year too right? But at times even on the weekends it was half empty. I'm sure some of those ticket holders just showed up to the big games. Again, why would anyone here be talking about it if there weren't empty seats?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron