Student Fans

sel4cy

Dec 11, 2006
SCHLESWIG, IOWA
Where were the students at saturday? I thought that they have been the best at the Jack in years, and the student section was half full. Please come back for the Colorado game, we need you!!!!:yes:

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Student turnout was lacking, I agree, but so was the rest of the fans. The big donor sections were pretty empty, and the corners were bare.

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I've never seen so many empty seats on the 50 yd line as what I saw against K-State. Brianhos is right, the both big donors and the students need to do better against CO. Although, in my mind there is no excuse for a student not to show up. You know darn well they are there tailgating and they have a ticket so why not go in for the game??

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
I've never seen so many empty seats on the 50 yd line as what I saw against K-State. Brianhos is right, the both big donors and the students need to do better against CO. Although, in my mind there is no excuse for a student not to show up. You know darn well they are there tailgating and they have a ticket so why not go in for the game??

This is such and OLD topic, and people need to get over themselves about it. The stadium wasn't full, students and non-students. It always looks bad on the part of the students because we condense ourselves, instead of spreading out over the entire section. If you took everyone in every section and moved them down to the front, you'd see the same thing all around the stadium.

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
Talking about it on a message board is not going to get people in their seats. Start calling your friends and family and get them to go.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
and the non-student seats that were empty? those people werent tailgating or what? no youre right, the big donors you speak of were probably at home listening on the radio. lay off the students. you cant single them out..there is no reason for the old people who have tickets to not come either.

DBQ Clone

Oct 4, 2007
Dubuque, IA
Keep in mind too that as the year goes forward, there tends to be fewer students in the stands due to the swiftly approaching break and the end of the year. During the break, forget it.

I remember going to a game as a student in Nov. and they were shoveling snow off one end of the astroturf while they played on the other. The stadium wasn't even half full and since the nosebleed student section sucked, we went down to the lower level. Keep in mind this was the Walden era.

Now since ISU beat KSU and looked much improved doing it, I think we have a good chance of topping 50K for Senior Day. I also think you'll see more students there too, along with the big donors.

To be honest, I've been impressed with the overall attendance this year, given our record.

I sense some excitement about this program. And it all started back on Sept. 15th.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
and the non-student seats that were empty? those people werent tailgating or what? no youre right, the big donors you speak of were probably at home listening on the radio. lay off the students. you cant single them out..there is no reason for the old people who have tickets to not come either.

Even the "attended" areas of the stadium were sparse - in the endzone there were a lot of open seats, though people kinda moved around to open areas so it may have looked fuller later in the game.

is fuller a word? sounds funny...

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Even the 50 yard line seats were sprinkled with purple shirts. Take those out, and those sections look even more sparse. What's up with that?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
BeatDeadHorse.gif

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
Student turnout was lacking, I agree, but so was the rest of the fans. The big donor sections were pretty empty, and the corners were bare.

I had vendor wristbands for this game (that let you sit in any empty spot) and will have them for Colorado as well. My plea is for the big donors to stay home so I can take their cherry seats! (just a little reverse psychology)

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Even the "attended" areas of the stadium were sparse - in the endzone there were a lot of open seats, though people kinda moved around to open areas so it may have looked fuller later in the game.

is fuller a word? sounds funny...

If I had those endzone seats, I would move around too.. those things are horrible to try and actually watch a game. It will be fun when ISU builds even more of those.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Should be, "more full."

Sorry, Journalism major.

Believe me, I need all the help I can get ...

(I think that's a sentence fragment AND a poor use of "...", I must be stopped!)

What is the "..." called? I use the heck out of 'em. :spinny::v_SPIN:

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Those 50 yd line seats are often corporate seats too that are given away if you know the right people.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
If I had those endzone seats, I would move around too.. those things are horrible to try and actually watch a game. It will be fun when ISU builds even more of those.

It was kinda wild - first time I've had them. You're pretty close to the action when its on your side of the field, but the perspective is WAY off. You could see the holes opening and closing which was neat, but sometimes you'd have no idea if they gained 1 yard or 10.

If they bowl in the endzone the jumbo-tron MUST go over on the Jacobson building ... my neak was sore turning around to watch all the replays.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
It was kinda wild - first time I've had them. You're pretty close to the action when its on your side of the field, but the perspective is WAY off. You could see the holes opening and closing which was neat, but sometimes you'd have no idea if they gained 1 yard or 10.

If they bowl in the endzone the jumbo-tron MUST go over on the Jacobson building ... my neak was sore turning around to watch all the replays.

Yes, I agree with that. Once you get a little higher in the end zone it is ok to see.