Star Wars Expanded Universe Thread

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Finished Bad Batch and am starting Tales of the Empire.

The Bad Batch finale was ok but not satisfying imo. At the end of the series, what change did it actually have it besides just a side story about the clones. Would have like the ending to have a bigger impact to the overall story line.

I have enjoyed the first few episodes of Tales of the Empire. Even though its animated, I feel the overall quality of the animated series are far superior than the live action.

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
The Acolyte premiers tonight. Hopefully it is good.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I’m pumped about the Acolyte. This is the one I’ve been looking forward to.

I've seen a lot of criticism that all of the newish movies and series are basically fan fiction. Sometimes that's a fair criticism and other times it isn't, but this series seems the least likely for that to be possible. Maybe Andor is the other thing where that's not even in play.

The other way would be a series or movies set well after the sequel trilogy where they don't shoehorn in R2, C3PO and a bunch of returning players.

Mando probably strikes a balance of some fan service but enough totally new ideas to please every type of fan.

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
I enjoyed the first two episodes. The use of more martial arts techniques was pretty fun. Excellent choreography. Also being in the past there is a certain retro feel to it where they don’t have exactly all the same technology

• Agree
Reactions: bos

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
What in the hell was that third episode? I went into this series hoping for another Andor. This series just completely threw "Star Wars" out of the window on this third episode.

• Agree
Reactions: flander1649

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
What in the hell was that third episode? I went into this series hoping for another Andor. This series just completely threw "Star Wars" out of the window on this third episode.
Can you explain what problems you had with this third episode of The Acolyte?

I rather enjoyed it.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Andor was crazy how the episodes just built up like 5, 4, 6, 7, 9, 9, 9, 10, 9.

Started out like OK I'll watch as a completist and by the end it had my blood pumping. Also really loved the music that was competely new for Star Wars but still made sense. To me it's a good example that something can be pretty different but still be "Star Wars". I will definitely rewatch it some day and I have already rewatched Mandalorian, not sure if/when I'll ever rewatch other shows and movies of the past decade or so. Like will I ever rewatch "Solo"? I didn't hate it but I can't see myself watching it again.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Can you explain what problems you had with this third episode of The Acolyte?

I rather enjoyed it.

Completely changing the lore around "the force" for starters. We also learn things that seem to retcon plot points from Episode 1.

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
Completely changing the lore around "the force" for starters. We also learn things that seem to retcon plot points from Episode 1.
How is it changing lore? Force witches? Those aren't new.
What did we learn that retconned Ep. 1 (do you mean Phantom Menace or ep. 1 of The Acolyte?)?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
There have been some interviews with Leslye saying shes going to make it hers and George Lucas' vision isnt at play here. I know Disney is trying to give fresh takes, but its a bit at the expense of Star Wars lore nerds/purists. Love it or hate it, its where we are at with these properties.

• Agree
Reactions: Gorm

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
There have been some interviews with Leslye saying shes going to make it hers and George Lucas' vision isnt at play here. I know Disney is trying to give fresh takes, but its a bit at the expense of Star Wars lore nerds/purists. Love it or hate it, its where we are at with these properties.

With some franchises it's pretty easy to make your "own" canon. I have an Alien/Predator canon where I like everything by ditching about 1/3 of it.

Star Wars and Star Trek have so much interwoven content it's not really possible. You just have to accept it or walk away imho.

Reactions: bos

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
With some franchises it's pretty easy to make your "own" canon. I have an Alien/Predator canon where I like everything by ditching about 1/3 of it.

Star Wars and Star Trek have so much interwoven content it's not really possible. You just have to accept it or walk away imho.

This is where the fans speak, dont watch and let the numbers fall where they may or watch and give them the boost to make another season. Vote with your presence.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I don't know how anyone can be a "purist" since Star Wars lore has been all over the place for decades.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This is where the fans speak, dont watch and let the numbers fall where they may or watch and give them the boost to make another season. Vote with your presence.

I really think fans had these great 3 movies for nearly 20 years and they just can't cope with the fact that a massive flood of content is going to have quality variance.

I remember when I was reading along with the very few novels and comics in the early to mid 90s. The first few novels just happened to be great. The dark horse comics were OK but not bad. Then some later novels and comics clearly were total garbage and as a teen/young adult I was like "Oh, Star Wars content can be BAD", it probably prepared me for Phantom Menace in a way.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I don't know how anyone can be a "purist" since Star Wars lore has been all over the place for decades.
Books are different than film. As far as film within the last decade there is a stark difference in quality takes when building upon previous works. I mean, its disheartening a bit when you watch interview with cast and directors recently who dont even really understand the material. Theres a bit of a divide growing. Andor was good, takes itself seriously and it was written to back the movies. Ahsoka delved more into the novels and such, but ultimately still ties to the world previously built. This is at the very least semi-pure in nature.

• Winner
Reactions: Gorm

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I really think fans had these great 3 movies for nearly 20 years and they just can't cope with the fact that a massive flood of content is going to have quality variance.

I remember when I was reading along with the very few novels and comics in the early to mid 90s. The first few novels just happened to be great. The dark horse comics were OK but not bad. Then some later novels and comics clearly were total garbage and as a teen/young adult I was like "Oh, Star Wars content can be BAD", it probably prepared me for Phantom Menace in a way.
Or when Ewoks were a pretty terrible idea and then they came out with Ewok movies unrelated to the greater stories. Ha!

HarryClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 28, 2021
I could be misunderstanding your 'lore around the force' point, but I liked hearing another culture's perspective on the same general concept of an energy that binds the universe. Reminded me of mythologies having different gods that get to the same general idea, like Zeus (Greek) vs Jupiter (Roman). It would also add a little to the tragedy of episode 3 if the driving force - pun intended - for the Jedi trying to take Osha and Mae is simply an inability or unwillingness to find common ground with the witches.