Star Wars episode 9: The Rise of Skywalker

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Some of the lines he made a luminary like Natalie Portman read... shudders.

The dialogue in those three prequels were the worst of any movies I ever saw. Kid Anakin was like a marionette on screen. The CGI was so awful it took you out of the story. And even with all that there was more of a story there than what I've watched with these last two sequels.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Just got back. It was for the fans no doubt. Cool moments.

I prefer what Disney is doing with The Mandalorian. Too much CGI in the movies now.

• Agree
Reactions: Gordyo5

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
It was a fun movie, lots of fan service. Lots of moments that don't make much sense if you think too much about it, but that seems par for the course with Star Wars.

My main takeaway was that it seems like there was a story JJ Abrams wanted to tell but stepping away after The Force Awakens really jacked things up with The Last Jedi. I think a lot of this movie would have worked better if they'd have told these concepts across two movies instead of cramming it all in one.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Just got back. I struggled through almost the first 2/3 of the movie due to the breakneck pace and shoddy editing of those parts as they try to shove a ton of exposition down your throat. HOWEVER, I then quickly turned heal and absolutely loved the last 1/3 of the movie to the point that the first 2/3s was worth it. I honestly thought JJ somewhat did the impossible with this thing by providing us a satisfying ending to somewhat a mess of a trilogy. The movie also greatly improved on all the characters from the low points I had with them after The Last Jedi, most notably Poe and Finn. Oh yeah, loved the very very end big time.

Last edited:

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
Overall I enjoyed it. TLJ really made JJ have to cram alot in. But all the fan service made me happy.

Can wait to relisten to all the force voices, was awesome to hear Hayden's Anakin and Ahsoka.

Also shout for my boy Wedge Antilles making his appearance at the end.

I-Statefanin IACity78

Sep 10, 2019
Edit. I am a spoiler baiting ass hole that forgot the movie isnt watched by everybody on premierre night.

I think they may of gone too far in a few places but it was a fan service extravaganza.

Last edited:

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Complete fan service. Cool visually. Excellent music. Story was only there for shuttling the viewer between moments of nostalgia, jokes, and fight scenes. Don't think about anything and you'll be fine.

Would not rewatch, but did somewhat enjoy once they finally got to the action.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Hoggins

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Overall I enjoyed it. TLJ really made JJ have to cram alot in. But all the fan service made me happy.

Can wait to relisten to all the force voices, was awesome to hear Hayden's Anakin and Ahsoka.

Also shout for my boy Wedge Antilles making his appearance at the end.

Ahsoka's voice is in this? I absolutely love Ahsoka, one of my favorite characters.

• Agree
Reactions: harimad

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
If you liked the Last Jedi and were anticipating a plot that follows TLJ fluidly, you will probably be very disappointed.

I was broken by TLJ. I hated it. It was a terrible movie, much less a Star Wars installment. I have a hard time finding ANYTHING that Rian Johnson added to be necessary and interesting. I can go on, but I'll spare you.

I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to anything Star Wars. Show me tie fighters and x-wings flying around and I get excited. I'm a bit younger than most of you, so I grew up with the prequels and enjoyed them when they came out. However after hearing the mixed reviews and judging by the TLJ, I set my bar VERY low going into the theater.

Verdict: I loved it. I checked my boxes of having a good time and giving me all my Star Wars that I need.

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
My overall impression:

I enjoyed watching it and think it's pretty re-watchable. Is it a great movie? No. You can tell it suffered a bit from not having a cohesive plan set in place from the onset of the trilogy. But I think it's a good one and I think it was much more "Star Wars" than The Last Jedi.

What I liked and disliked:

What I liked:

- I thought they handled Carrie/Leia well given the circumstances. You could tell she was probably supposed to be the one talking to Kylo/Ben instead of Han Solo on the Death Star wreckage, but her way of going out as the way to finally break through and start Kylo's turning back to the light was a nice send-off.

- Speaking of Han Solo... "I know." Loved it.

- The lightsaber fights in this movie were light-years ahead of Force Awakens and TLJ. Yes, even in front of the Snoke throne room scene IMO.

- Personally I was fine with them bringing back Palpatine as the big-bad. Though in hindsight, he probably should have been teased or hinted at in some capacity in TLJ.

- Poe's character was especially good this movie.

- Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver acted their roles very well.

- I was worried a bit heading in about how Lando would seem since you can tell Billy Dee has slowed down a bit with age, but thought he brought back that classic Lando charm quite well.

- The voices of the Jedi in the climax. Really cool to hear those. Was secretly hoping for some more Jedi force ghosts but just a personal preference.

- CHEWIE GOT A MEDAL!!!! (I'm not bothered by fan service...)

What I disliked:

- This movie seems to put a damper on "The Chosen One" prophecy. They can claim Anakin technically "brought balance" post-ROTJ, but did he realllllllly if Palpatine wasn't actually dead?

- The kiss. It felt out of place to me. Could have had the same impact by resting their foreheads on each other with eyes closed.

- Yes, the first half felt a bit disjointed with all of the exposition they had to do. Pacing was weird at times.

- Getting force lightning'd to death by himself was a "meh" way to kill off Palps once and for all. Apparently turning off the force lightning faucet is pretty hard once it's gotten going?

- I didn't get quite the same level of satisfaction/resolution as I felt watching the end of Return of the Jedi. So while I feel like this movie wrapped up THIS trilogy pretty well overall, I feel like when you look at the saga as a whole, it wasn't necessarily the best end for the entire thing.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
My overall impression:

I enjoyed watching it and think it's pretty re-watchable. Is it a great movie? No. You can tell it suffered a bit from not having a cohesive plan set in place from the onset of the trilogy. But I think it's a good one and I think it was much more "Star Wars" than The Last Jedi.

What I liked and disliked:

Endings are extremely tough. We've seen a lot of beloved series' end extremely poorly. Honestly as long as the ending makes sense and you walk out not pissed, I think that's a successful end.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Fan service is undoubtedly going to be a term thrown around in bunches over the next year or so as everyone hashes out this movie in both good ways and bad ways. I get it, as it has to some extent hit some levels we've never seen before lately. However, with that said, I'd caution everyone to maybe not use the term as loose as people in general have used it over the past couple years, as I think it has somewhat gone too far and turned into a lazy, loose and easy word to throw out. Its been pervasively and will be pervasively used a lot with both this movie and Avengers: Endgame most notably, which both happen to be the capstone or conclusions to a long saga of movies. One needs to maybe ask themselves first, what are we truly wanting out of these movies really? If we are wanting a true conclusion/capstone to a series, isn't part of that intrinsically to hearken back a decent amount to its predecessors in order to pay off story lines and pull everything together into a satisfying conclusive manner? Shoot, isn't that what we SHOULD want from a great conclusion, because I'm seeing a decent amount of this stuff also getting lumped in as unneeded fan service? On the flip side, I get it that writers/directors can go a little too hot and heavy sometimes, which then gets into the true fan service category and nobody is going to deny that there is at least some of this in "The Rise of Skywalker". How much is somewhat debatable. There is definitely somewhat of a sliding scale to this whole thing. Anyway, I'm not trying to call anybody wrong or anything, but I do think that fan service has turned into too loose and wide of a derogatory word when a healthy level of fan service is actually a really good thing to have.

With all that said, I do leave a big counterargument question hanging out there for sure after all those word I just threw out, which is what was this new trilogy truly supposed to be? Great question, and it is honestly maybe one of my biggest criticisms of Lucasfilm throughout this entire trilogy. Is this supposed to be a brand new trilogy in and of itself, meant to take us into a new territory of Star Wars? Was this trilogy truly supposed to be a continuation of its predecessors/the Skywalker story, and meant to be a conclusion to a 9-film arc? Or, was it meant to be something in the middle somewhere? Well, beings how there seemingly was no story-arc planned from the get-go to this thing, it kind of seems like it ultimately attempted being all 3 of those things at once, but just at different times in the trilogy. Therefore, the inevitable result was a bunch of wonkiness to the whole thing that inevitably didn't satisfy anyone entirely throughout.

Last edited:

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Overall, my thoughts echo alot of what has already been said here. Definitely fan service, and a few moments I was very confused by, but I'm fine with suspending belief in these types of movies. I thought they landed the ship about as well as they could have.

I lol'd at the kiss

Reactions: Fitzy and Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
As more and more fan reviews filter in, the Rotten Tomatoes fan score is still remaining at 86%, right there with both The Force Awakens and Rogue One, which is pretty high. Obviously, this movie will only further the critic vs fan debate of all this, which was really pervasive through all of TLJ, but in the opposite way. Obviously, there is intrinsically going to be a difference between how critics, many times non-fans look at a particular movie and a fan, or the general movie going audience is going to look at things. This has always been there and is a good perspective to have as we analyze movies. However, one thing people also need to consider is how many of those critics all live in Los Angeles (its kind of crazy), all go to the same critic screenings of the movie, and all somewhat know each other to some extent in a community type of way. Therefore, there is inevitably going to be some level of bubbled group-think going on between all of them whether they realize it or want to admit it or not. We've all been there. In those scenarios, its not exactly cool to be too different than your peers, especially when any community you are in has a tendency to jump down your throat about a differing opinion. It just is what it is. Surely in our current political environment, we might at least know a little bit what group think looks like right? Keep in mind, there is such thing as fan group-think as well, so maybe we shouldn't get too high on our horses either. Regardless, when looking at numbers such as Rotten Tomatoes for these types of things, people do need to recognize all facets that can feed into those figures.

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Wow. It was confusing. It felt like the movie was 4 hours. Palpatine parts were ok. Leia dies. Kylo dies. C 3P0 gets rewiredd so they can find out where Palpatine and his fleet is. Ghost Luke makes an appearance. Kylo has an imaginary conversation with Han Solo. They have a horse army. True too this trilogy Finn flirts with death again.

I think they may of gone too far in a few places but it was a fan service extravaganza.
The movie has been out for a matter of hours and you posting spoilers without so much as a spoiler tag? Don't be that guy.