STANZ: They've got to throw it in there

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Watching the game live i couldn't understand why we weren't fouling azebueke. He's the worst free throw shooter i have ever seen, we couldnt stop him in the post and we trailed the entire 2nd half. Put in lewis at the under 8 min mark and make the big guy go to the line or force self to take him out. In a game we trailed a 35% shooter went to the line once... wtf?

• Winner
Reactions: usedcarguy

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA

tenor.gif

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
He’s pretty much Antonio McDyess.

Looked up a highlight tape to refresh myself on Antonio McDyess... Great comparison!

I really would not worry about Cam leaving soon. His offensive game is certainly effective at this level right now, but he needs to expand his game more before he becomes a draft pick. I know Jonathan Motley wasn't putting up numbers like Lard is as a freshmen but Cam probably needs that kind of polish and mid range game before he makes the step to the next level. It felt like Motley was pretty solid from 12-15 feet his junior year.

*Pretty crazy to think about - Lard's offensive and defensive ratings are each about 5 points higher than Motley's junior year*

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Watching the game live i couldn't understand why we weren't fouling azebueke. He's the worst free throw shooter i have ever seen, we couldnt stop him in the post and we trailed the entire 2nd half. Put in lewis at the under 8 min mark and make the big guy go to the line or force self to take him out. In a game we trailed a 35% shooter went to the line once... wtf?

We didn't have the fouls to give unless we put someone like Lewis or Long in there to cover him, then he would have had such great position that most fouls would have resulted in an and one.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I’ll take it one step further and say this...I don’t think we have the highest BB IQ in the world. If Prohm is saying stuff like this after the game, he had to have been pleading with the guards to get Lard the ball, and they just didn’t.

Agree. It's not all on Lindell, but I think one of the biggest steps the team will take going into next year will be LW feeding the post. CSP admits scoring in his DNA, but I think additional coaching will help LW know when to turn it off and feed his big guys.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
We didn't have the fouls to give unless we put someone like Lewis or Long in there to cover him, then he would have had such great position that most fouls would have resulted in an and one.
Coaches do make situational substitutions. Also, Talley only had one to finish the game, Young two, and Lard three. We definitely could have fouled.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Good to know Prohm sees it.

Not good to know the players either aren't getting the message, aren't adhering to it, or they're not skilled enough to get it in. I would think someone like NWB would thrive in it with his length.

Youth/inexperience may play a part to an extent but it's a little odd that it's mid-February and it hasn't become a focal point, and there's no excuse for someone like DJ to not go with it instead of taking 3-4 seconds of time to drive in the lane to either turn it over or get his shot blocked.

• Winner
Reactions: FinalFourCy

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
They missed Solo matched up with Graham about 10 times last night. KU played a Jon Heacock defense, instead of daring a team to stay disciplined and run the ball instead and not take chances through the air, KU dared us to stay disciplined and continue to take advantage of the mismatch. I'm not sure what Prohm could have been saying at time outs if he wasn't telling them to feed the post. I mean most of the time, they don't even look.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
They missed Solo matched up with Graham about 10 times last night. KU played a Jon Heacock defense, instead of daring a team to stay disciplined and run the ball instead and not take chances through the air, KU dared us to stay disciplined and continue to take advantage of the mismatch. I'm not sure what Prohm could have been saying at time outs if he wasn't telling them to feed the post. I mean most of the time, they don't even look.
KU won the mismatch game imo, as was predicted. I don’t know if we’re still figuring out how to use our pieces in mid-Feb, the guys aren’t listening to the staff, or we’re just not as good at utilizing mismatches as we once were, but it needs to improve.

Last edited:
Reactions: heitclone

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think feeding the ball of to Lard needs to coincide with Lard become a better post passer. As Crean rightly pointed out a few times last night, Lard is a seal and pin down type player. He struggles a little more when you throw it to him and he has to make a move. I'm no basketball expert, but it seems to me like his best involvement would be getting the ball side to side, and inside and back out from time to time, letting him better establish angles and seal his guy off.

Georges was so gifted in his ability to pass out of the post. Lard just doesn't have that quite yet. If it goes in to him in the post, it probably isn't come back out. Sometimes that will lead to good results, but I think for us to take a step forward he has to become a better passer out of the post.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA

Yes, when Beverly got called for the lane violation I said AZebueke should have been called for a balk as he stopped in mid stroke.

• Agree
Reactions: cyups2323

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I think a lot of it has to do with inability to feed the ball into the post. Namely I can point to Lindell at being horrible throwing the ball into the paint. Probably where half his turnovers came from the past couple games.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron