WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I'm way more comfortable with TJ if he can bring his recruits and keep Hunter, but it also feels a lot like a situational hire instead of finding the absolute best candidate, that can build the program to long term success. Similar to bringing in Prohm because he had a similar demeanor and supposedly similar style as Fred.

Many times success of coachs comes down to opportunities. Prohm didn't take advantage, but maybe TJ can. The other way is coaches that can just flat out coach, and build a winner, no matter what their situation (Beard, Holtman).

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
I'm not using it as an excuse. It's completely different when if we'd be talking about a coach that has been at a program for a while and continuously has gotten worse. I will not, however, judge coaches like Fred or TJ in these two years when they're in their first two years on the job and blew up their rosters in year one.
I'm not either, so we are in agreement. To me, it sounded like you were trying to excuse Prohm for his 2 win season this year. I misunderstood you. Since Otz is in season 2 at UNLV, I really am not going to base how good of a coach he is on year two, because that's not how this works. Remember that Tony Bennett was pretty bad at UVA his first two seasons. Now he's established the Cavs as one of the top programs in the nation every year.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I guess I'll make the case for TJ since that seems how its trending. I know the arguments against TJ and they are valid.

The most important thing is for the next coach to bring in talent. He has proven he can do that in Ames. Sometimes the best name isn't the best fit - see Gene Chizik. Was a terrible fit here, but won* a national championship in the SEC.

I do think TJ would be a good fit for Iowa State, and that is important. He's seen the highs and lows here. If he is the guy, I really hope he brings on Greg Lansing as an assistant who was respected as a head coach.

At the end of the day we all want the same thing, for ISU basketball to be successful. Hopefully whoever we hire wins here.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'm not either, so we are in agreement. To me, it sounded like you were trying to excuse Prohm for his 2 win season this year. I misunderstood you. Since Otz is in season 2 at UNLV, I really am not going to base how good of a coach he is on year two, because that's not how this works. Remember that Tony Bennett was pretty bad at UVA his first two seasons. Now he's established the Cavs as one of the top programs in the nation every year.
Oh we're in complete agreement. I didn't think it's fair to judge Otz really at all yet from UNLV. Which could be a good thing or a bad thing. Prohm though was in year 6 at the same program when he went 2-22... Completely different than what TJ went through.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I'm way more comfortable with TJ if he can bring his recruits and keep Hunter, but it also feels a lot like a situational hire instead of finding the absolute best candidate, that can build the program to long term success. Similar to bringing in Prohm because he had a similar demeanor and supposedly similar style as Fred.

Many times success of coachs comes down to opportunities. Prohm didn't take advantage, but maybe TJ can. The other way is coaches that can just flat out coach, and build a winner, no matter what their situation (Beard, Holtman).
I’d take a bridge hire. All but the big names need short term success to have a chance at long term success anyways.

IF TJ can keep all the important guys currently scheduled to be here, add a couple recruits or players from UNLV, hire an assistant or two that bring a guy, he’s a very good candidate Imo. That’s a big IF though

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The thing is we just don't know for certain if he committed to the school or the coach. Definitely puts Iowa State in better position to hire the coach he committed to. It'd be easier to get him to flip than it would to get a high level transfer stretch 4 to commit to ISU, in my opinion. The relationship is already there versus starting new

UNLV guys usually commit to the school.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club

Nail on the head here. If we hire the hottest name on the block but they don't have the Milwaukee ties like TJ. We likely lose Hunter. He's a much more important piece to the rebuild than people are accounting for. Having a solid PG/primary ball handler is a PROGRAM CHANGER (Monte, DeAndre Kane). TJ is likely the best bet to keep Hunter

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I guess I'll make the case for TJ since that seems how its trending. I know the arguments against TJ and they are valid.

The most important thing is for the next coach to bring in talent. He has proven he can do that in Ames. Sometimes the best name isn't the best fit - see Gene Chizik. Was a terrible fit here, but won* a national championship in the SEC.

I do think TJ would be a good fit for Iowa State, and that is important. He's seen the highs and lows here. If he is the guy, I really hope he brings on Greg Lansing as an assistant who was respected as a head coach.

At the end of the day we all want the same thing, for ISU basketball to be successful. Hopefully whoever we hire wins here.
If TJ could get Greg Lansing on his staff then that would be a homerun for me.