CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
So you are going to use Campbell as your example of the importance of bringing in a guy that loves ISU because the extent of his ISU ties were being impressed bringing Toledo here once? Most coaches that are midwest guys that love college basketball are likely to love Hilton and the passionate fanbase. ISU has only lost coaches because they went to the NBA, got canned, or were on the verge of getting canned when the Creighton lifeline came. The closest reported case of a guy leaving ISU for another college job was the one guy with ISU ties and "love." And not for a blueblood, but the freaking Gophers.
McDermott never had any passion for Iowa State either. When we hired him he was in the hotel at the Valley tournament talking to us and KSU at the same time. He wanted the same thing Prohm did, a check, and he got the benefit of proximity from Iowa State. If it's not Fred it's a crap shoot . TJs ties to this particular university give him a leg up on the competition and that makes complete sense in the hiring of anyone.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Local media and Pollard. I just don't think he would consider him. I think the doing it the right way statement was a shot at him. It wasn't that he left, although I think one year was a bit rough, it was how he left.
Local media are morons that have to act like Drake is a good job and the MVC isn't a complete shell of its former self when it had Creighton and WSU.

Again, based on the situation, if Pollard, or anybody faulted Medved for leaving Drake, then they are an idiot. The current MVC to the MWC is probably as big or bigger step up than the MWC is to the Big 12. So is Pollard going to hold it against TJ for bolting on UNLV after only two years? I doubt it, nor should he.

But who would hold it against TJ for opting out of going into next year on the hot seat in the MWC when he can move up and get a fresh start in what has been the best CBB conference the last decade?

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
If he'd have gone somewhere else he'd have organized the same thing there. It's about making yourself harder to fire. And that's the great thing about the truth, it's "simplistic". We aren't talking about brain surgery or advanced rocketry here. In sports the most important thing you can do to be successful is get the kids to pay attention. From little kid sports all the way to professional the way to win is focus and motivation. Everybody's X&Os work on paper. It's getting kids to understand that when they think they are working hard they usually aren't and getting them to play FOR something. That's where Prohm failed. His recruiting was good enough but he never assembled a TEAM and got them to play for something bigger than themselves.

I feel like I'm reading the CycloneFanatic version of Cliff Claven from "Cheers" the more I read your posts; you're the guy at the bar who goes into long-winded monologues who at first is kind of interesting and maybe even fun to listen to until you realize that they are really just babbling and actually don't have a clue as to what they're talking about.

You're Cliff Claven.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
McDermott never had any passion for Iowa State either. When we hired him he was in the hotel at the Valley tournament talking to us and KSU at the same time. He wanted the same thing Prohm did, a check, and he got the benefit of proximity from Iowa State. If it's not Fred it's a crap shoot . TJs ties to this particular university give him a leg up on the competition and that makes complete sense in the hiring of anyone.
I kind of agree with alot of this. Prohm had the "deer in headlights" look at his initial press conference and I think his only experience with Iowa State was "watching them on Big Mondays".

I just got the "Wow, I got the job, now what?" scared vibe from him right away.

I don't think McDermott had the heart for it either. That's why I'm not sold on Devries either, I don't really see how he has any ties to Iowa State other than being from Iowa. He's a big Iowa fan from what I've heard.

Reactions: clone2003

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Lol, all this talk about the great savior Medved and the guy has still yet to play in an NCAA tournament game.

He's taken three absolute trash programs and made them winners in 1-3 years. I would much rather have Smith, Matta, Altman, etc., but Medved can flat out coach. That's not debatable.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Local media are morons that have to act like Drake is a good job and the MVC isn't a complete shell of its former self when it had Creighton and WSU.

Again, based on the situation, if Pollard, or anybody faulted Medved for leaving Drake, then they are an idiot. The current MVC to the MWC is probably as big or bigger step up than the MWC is to the Big 12. So is Pollard going to hold it against TJ for bolting on UNLV after only two years? I doubt it, nor should he.

But who would hold it against TJ for opting out of going into next year on the hot seat in the MWC when he can move up and get a fresh start in what has been the best CBB conference the last decade?
Again I think it is how he left more than that he left. You can disagree with holding it against him, and I don't think it should be as much as it likely is, but I think you are naïve if you don't think it is going to be held against him. I don't think Pollard would give him an interview. That said I think he should and give Medved a chance to rebuild the bridge.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Lol, all this talk about the great savior Medved and the guy has still yet to play in an NCAA tournament game.

Yeah. I know we've disagreed (quite strongly;)) on certain things, and might do so in the future as well, but I'm with you on this one.

And it doesn't mean he's a crap coach, but count me in as someone who wants a coach with at least a bit of NCAA tournament experience. Same reason why I'm a bit cool on the guy from Toledo as well.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
Four team coaching trade:
Prohm to Minnesota
MacDermott to Nebraska
Richard Pitino to Creighton
Hoiberg to Iowa State

Or some other variation with Hoiberg always ending up at Iowa State....
Bingo!

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
He's taken three absolute trash programs and made them winners in 1-3 years. I would much rather have Smith, Matta, Altman, etc., but Medved can flat out coach. That's not debatable.
You're probably right that he can coach but it still doesn't change the fact he's never even played in and NCAA tourney game in 8 years as a head coach.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Four team coaching trade:
Prohm to Minnesota
MacDermott to Nebraska
Richard Pitino to Creighton
Hoiberg to Iowa State

Or some other variation with Hoiberg always ending up at Iowa State....
Richard Pitino has already been named the New Mexico coach.

• Informative
Reactions: Neptune78

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Hypothetically, if TJ were to finish top 2/3 in the MW in 2021-2022. Would opinions change of him? Would we wish he had taken the job at ISU if whomever we hire can't recruit in this very important COVID transfer year??

He has the #16 class coming in. Could return almost the entire team and turned Caleb Grill into the player we all wished he was at ISU

I'm still in the Craig Smith camp. Mostly becuase I want a great X's and O's coach. But just about all of the other candidates have some really serious questions marks that TJ doesn't.

I think TJ is now my #2 for the job, mostly because of his history to who he brought to Iowa State, he's probably willing to take a lesser salary day 1 (Pollard admitted in the video this morning that this will be the reality for 2021-2022) and he needs NO TIME to aclamate to Iowa State. He'd start recruiting to Ames 10 seconds after signing a contract. He's our best bet at keeping Hunter committed and if he could bring in 1-2 of his UNLV recruits. That's a Top 20 class instantly. Near 5 star PG in Hunter, Kaluma would be the stretch 4 we desperately need.

2021/2022 starters then:

Hunter - Near 5 star PG - TJ get/keep
Bolton - All Big-12 guard, who many agree would thrive when asked to not handle the ball
(Big guard) - Biggest hole on the roster. Could be filled if Hinson stays with the program
Kaluma - Top 50 recruit, KU, OU, USC offers - TJ recruit
Foster

That's 5/5 positions with either Elite talent or prior P5 success

I'm starting to not be upset if TJ were hired. Again, he's not my #1. But he's becoming my #2 of the names mentioned

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Give me some proof that TJ is "definitely better" based on facts and analytics as opposed to you being subjective and I'd be on your side.

But until then there's no way you can say that TJ is better...as you pointed out above, TJ hasn't been at one school long enough to get an accurate reading of his system or it's success. So if you're going to argue it's not a good way to measure career winning percentage, then it also isn't a good way to proclaim that he's far better than another coach.
TJ didn't have a winless in conference season is more than enough proof that he's better than Prohm. TJ didn't lose three times as many games as his guys won over the course of two seasons. TJ didn't get worse every season as a coach. I don't know why this isn't so difficult to understand. At least TJ got a far better recruiting class to UNLV than any close that Prohm has put together. TJ > Prohm, not even close.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Don't get me wrong, TJs ties to ISU are a positive. But I just think it's way down on the list of important factors. I think our bball coaching history shows that coaches with no ties to ISU are likely to develop a love for ISU basketball once they are established here.

If it's TJ, I'll be on board, and I'll be excited for the upcoming season if he can retain Hunter. If not, I will still be interested, but can't say I'll have too much enthusiasm for year 1. I think any coach will have an uphill battle next year, but I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

Help Support Us

Become a patron