Sqwakeyes new alternate football uniforms...thoughts?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I know the majority on here probably won't agree but I actually really like these uniforms.

Just like when ISU wore the all yellows...they look pretty good on most guys, but yellow is NOT a flattering color on big OLs. It really sticks out on anyone that has a gut. You'll see. It isn't pretty.

If I were a fan, what would annoy me is the lack of imagination. It's like they figured that they needed to do one alt uni, so they just took the ones everyone hated 15 (or however many) years ago and reversed the colors. Couple that with a drastically conservative FB program that basically lives off of run, run, throw to the TE and a MBB team that is probably the whitest D1 team in the country. If there's a more conservative and stodgy athletic department out there, I'd like to see it. I'd probably want to get some young blood in a few spots that have some fresh ideas. It's like they know that the fans are going to buy tickets and they know that they will keep cashing Big 10 checks, so why put in a bunch of effort to generate excitement?

• Disagree
Reactions: BLHawk

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Everybody loves the Baylor and Seahawk highlighter unis, right?

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
Yes, they're for Penn St. Assuming we're both ranked in the top-5 it'll likely be a night game. Hopefully they'll look better under the lights.
Safe assumption here. The real question is Penn State, I'm not sure they're top 5 material. ;)

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Yes, they're for Penn St. Assuming we're both ranked in the top-5 it'll likely be a night game. Hopefully they'll look better under the lights.

Top 5 in the Big 10?...Doubt it. Maybe top 5 in each of your individual divisions of the Big 10.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That's insanely optimistic.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
What are the school colors for ISU now?

Trying for the "I know this is going to be a dumb post, but I am a dumb hawk troll trying to act cool on an in state rival thread on our in state rival's board, so let's see if I can get the dumbest troll post of the year"?

You and your friend yeahbuddy sporting Iowa colors!!

upload_2019-7-1_9-43-46.png

Hawkmi

Oct 9, 2013
Trying for the "I know this is going to be a dumb post, but I am a dumb hawk troll trying to act cool on an in state rival thread on our in state rival, so let's see if I can get the worst troll post of the year"?
Trying for the seventh longest run-on sentence in message board history?

• Funny
Reactions: JP4CY

Hawkmi

Oct 9, 2013
What's #1?
giphy.gif

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Iowa's last few alternates have been really solid. These are really bad though.

I know some like the helmet, but I don't even like that. The middle stripe down the center is too wide, and the yellow facemask is ugly too. I wouldn't like a "yellow" facemask with ISU's cardinal helmet either.... but a gold chrome one would look pretty sweet.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Iowa's last few alternates have been really solid. These are really bad though.

I know some like the helmet, but I don't even like that. The middle stripe down the center is too wide, and the yellow facemask is ugly too. I wouldn't like a "yellow" facemask with ISU's cardinal helmet either.... but a gold chrome one would look pretty sweet.

Iowa can't afford chrome helmets I heard

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Top 5 in the Big 10?...Doubt it. Maybe top 5 in each of your individual divisions of the Big 10.

I assume it was a typo and he meant if both are in the top 25, which is a reasonable bet.

As for the uniforms, I kind of like them, at least as a one-off. For better or worse, the original banana peels were unique in their day, and over time have become something of a cult classic with Iowa fans. This is a solid tribute to that look, and I like the gold facemasks. And the players certainly seem pumped about it, which isn't something that could be said for some of Iowa's previous throwback/alternate looks over the years, and is more important than what fans think about it (players are a much better barometer of what recruits might think about it).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron