Spring football season

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Sounds like the Ivy League is going to move to a conference only spring season instead of playing this fall. I would bet if they pull the trigger the rest of college football will as well.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I think there will be spring football, but not because of the Ivy League doing it.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Only one thing that's any different between next spring and this fall and it has nothing to do with sports. Makes no sense.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I talked to a high school athletic official that I work with this past Saturday and he said that the state of Iowa is thinking about flipping the fall and spring sports schedules this year.
Track and golf in the fall, then football and volleyball in the spring.
He said the idea is that there is a greater chance of a vaccine in the spring, and its easier to practice social distancing with track and golf than football and volleyball. We would also have the affect that if a school has to take a 2 week break from the virus, that it would not harm other schools as much. Just fewer teams at a track meet.

Last edited:

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I talked to a high school athletic official that I work with this past Saturday and he said that the state of Iowa is thinking about flipping the fall and spring sports schedules this year.
He said the idea is that there is a greater chance of a vaccine in the spring, and its easier to practice social distancing with track and golf than football and volleyball. We would also have the affect that if a school has to take a 2 week break from the virus, that it would not harm other schools as much. Just fewer teams at a track meet.
Does XC get pushed to spring then also?

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Very well discussed podcast here featuring Steve Deace if you want to hear a good take on the current data. This was posted online earlier today.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Very well discussed podcast here featuring Steve Deace if you want to hear a good take on the current data. This was posted online earlier today.

The guy's one of these that's acting like the rest of the world is functioning totally normally and is pulling the 'well they were gonna die anyway' mantra out. No thanks.

Also Sweden didn't go for herd immunity.

Reactions: Cyclad

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Somewhat true. Everyone followed the Ivy League when they cancelled the conference basketball tourney. Basically saying “the smart people think we should cancel”

Did they follow or just happen to make the decision after them?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

I've heard this as well from a high school administrator.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
over a 99.5% survival rate currently for covid-19..... and likely to go higher once actual numbers are found out, it's probably been around since the beginning of the year any way, pretty sure myself and coworkers all had it late February early March.... I was on board with the caution at first, but more and more you have to ask why??

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
over a 99.5% survival rate currently for covid-19..... and likely to go higher once actual numbers are found out, it's probably been around since the beginning of the year any way, pretty sure myself and coworkers all had it late February early March.... I was on board with the caution at first, but more and more you have to ask why??

You should go get an antibody test and find out.

Where is it concretely confirmed as .5%? I've seen that out there as an estimate along with thinking way more have had it, but I've yet to see a positive antibody result for a community that's very high.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
So play just conf games in March, April, May..bowl game early June?

then go 2 years in a row with no spring development and turn around and start Fall Camp 7-8 weeks after bowl season?

yea no...ain’t happening. Won’t work.

guarantee you there’s going to be a kickoff on Sept 5.. in Jack Trice.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa

Where is it concretely confirmed as .5%? I've seen that out there as an estimate along with thinking way more have had it, but I've yet to see a positive antibody result for a community that's very high.
well currently 2.68 million confirmed cases and less then 130K deaths in the US. 130,000/2,680,000=.00485.......

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa

todays # according to Google... 338 deaths/36,390 new cases = a .9% rate so still a 99% survival rate.. and how many of those deaths had a preexisting condition??? and besides red cross blood drives, most of which are an hr away currently.. who else is performing them with out major cause/reasoning??

Reactions: Pizzapitter

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
So play just conf games in March, April, May..bowl game early June?

then go 2 years in a row with no spring development and turn around and start Fall Camp 7-8 weeks after bowl season?

yea no...ain’t happening. Won’t work.

guarantee you there’s going to be a kickoff on Sept 5.. in Jack Trice.

These are different times so college football might have to make different plans. Maybe games start the last couple weeks of February? Maybe the 2021 season starts a little bit later to give the kids more time off?