Spring football season

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Just heard from an ISU AD staff member that I work with on another project: It’s highly unlikely that fans will be in the stadium(s) this fall, JP just riding the wave until he can’t anymore. 50/50 right now if there is a season at all. Schools/conferences/NCAA are more unified than people/media think they are. If one conference can’t/won’t play, then no one will.

So be it.... But bye-bye colleges as we knew them. I'm willing to take bets we'll still play. Someone get some CyBookie bets going.

Reactions: cyfan21

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Just heard from an ISU AD staff member that I work with on another project: It’s highly unlikely that fans will be in the stadium(s) this fall, JP just riding the wave until he can’t anymore. 50/50 right now if there is a season at all. Schools/conferences/NCAA are more unified than people/media think they are. If one conference can’t/won’t play, then no one will.
Do they think its just going to get pushed to the Spring, or cancelled all together?

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
At this point I can see the rationale behind no fans. I think 50% cap. stadiums is silly. But I'm really struggling to see the data that shows athletes playing is somehow a significant risk to themselves or the community at large.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Do they think its just going to get pushed to the Spring, or cancelled all together?

Said they are just repeating the words used, no info about moving anything to spring. Said that everyone is just getting overwhelmed and tired with the moving parts. Also said that the AD will be fine if there is no football season, lawyers think courts would side with schools on paying out tv/gear contracts at full value or they could negotiate and get a good portion of it without going to court. “All In this together” exact words in text (schools, conferences, tv, Nike/adidas/UA).

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Said they are just repeating the words used, no info about moving anything to spring. Said that everyone is just getting overwhelmed and tired with the moving parts. Also said that the AD will be fine if there is no football season, lawyers think courts would side with schools on paying out tv/gear contracts at full value or they could negotiate and get a good portion of it without going to court. “All In this together” exact words in text (schools, conferences, tv, Nike/adidas/UA).
Thank you for the info

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

If this is ISU's viewpoint than there's plenty of schools that shouldn't be concerned either and people can survive without a football season, correct?

It'd be great if we were in a position to have it but I'll anticipate that announcement in 2-3 weeks.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I've resigned myself to the fact that Section 16 won't have me in the seats this fall, but if I can watch the games on TV, that will do. Hopefully, we can just pass on the cost of the tickets to next year.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The sad thing is it was always up to each of us. But poor leadership all around has basically cost everyone something that brought them joy. It might be too late for football, but the winter sports could be a different story if we all do our part.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
over a 99.5% survival rate currently for covid-19..... and likely to go higher once actual numbers are found out, it's probably been around since the beginning of the year any way, pretty sure myself and coworkers all had it late February early March.... I was on board with the caution at first, but more and more you have to ask why??

Are you just listing all the common assumptions people are making to justify their thoughts that contradict expert opinions, or do you really believe all of this? My favorite is "I've already had it" folks.....I'll give you maybe, but probably not. If you had a co-worker test positive and you didn't get tested, I'd say probably. But 30+ million tests have been negative, the majority of which were performed on samples from people that thought they had it based on symptoms.

And to answer your question....lack of hospital capacity.

well currently 2.68 million confirmed cases and less then 130K deaths in the US. 130,000/2,680,000=.00485.......

Off by a factor of 10....plus most of the recent cases haven't had time to show up as deaths yet.

Reactions: Cyclad

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Sounds to me like the best case scenario right now is football, but no fans, and it’s 50/50 on if there will be football at all?

That’s pretty much in line with what I’ve been predicting for at least a month now.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Sounds to me like the best case scenario right now is football, but no fans, and it’s 50/50 on if there will be football at all?

That’s pretty much in line with what I’ve been predicting for at least a month now.

pretty much what anyone with a brain thought this.

I hope a season happens but I don’t think it will.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

so you’re saying that Iowa State won’t have to stop to d3?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
so you’re saying that Iowa State won’t have to stop to d3?

Amazingly, institutions that have stood for more than a century are able to withstand ONE missed football season when competent leadership is present.

JP is as in tune and engaged with the fan base as any AD in the country, and he’s not going to close any doors that aren’t required to be closed right now, and he will do it with the same enthusiasm as anything he does until the time comes that things change.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
At this point I can see the rationale behind no fans. I think 50% cap. stadiums is silly. But I'm really struggling to see the data that shows athletes playing is somehow a significant risk to themselves or the community at large.
It might be true for players although the opposing team would represent an additional exposure group that would not be present in a normal practice or workout session

The bigger risk of playing games would be to the fans. While some would be content to hunker down at home and watch the game telecast with there immediate family, many would choose to place themselves in higher risk situations. There would be large gatherings at sports bars and large house parties where social distancing would not be feasible.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Harvard announces all online classes this fall, I am sure rest of Ivy League will announce the same shortly.
Rutgers just announced all online classes this fall semester. This is just the start. However, could actually allow football season to happen because less exposure for athletes because they don't have to be on campus. Question will be if States and schools will basically say its not safe for students to be on campus yet we want them to play football because of money? I think the only way there will be a season this fall is no fans, and conference only games. But it is probably going to be the case there are games cancelled during the season if it does go forward.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
So play just conf games in March, April, May..bowl game early June?

then go 2 years in a row with no spring development and turn around and start Fall Camp 7-8 weeks after bowl season?

yea no...ain’t happening. Won’t work.

guarantee you there’s going to be a kickoff on Sept 5.. in Jack Trice.
RemindMe! 60 days

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
And yet, Nebraska High School is full speed ahead with the annual Shriner All Star Football Game this Saturday and the University of Nebraska Kearney Stadium with full teams, staffs, and fans in the stands (Limit 1,000 fans). They have already started practices. Players had to sign a waiver where they can't litigate the game sponsors if they get COVID. There were no pull outs from any of the players because of the waiver.

Help Support Us

Become a patron