Spring Commencement moving to JTS

jhutch1990

Dec 1, 2013
FYI

Dear Iowa State Community:

I am excited to announce Iowa State University’s Spring 2016 Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony on Saturday, May 7, is being moved to Jack Trice Stadium.

New Location for Spring Undergraduate Commencement
The spring 2016 graduating class, approaching 4600 candidates, has set a new record! Traditionally, about half of those students participate in the university undergraduate commencement ceremony. We know our graduates and their families and friends look forward to commencement, a time to celebrate years of hard work and dedication, culminating in a degree from Iowa State and an opportunity to hear their names called as they walk across the stage to mark their achievement. Commencement is our most important university event, and it is always very well attended.

It has long been Iowa State’s tradition to ensure everyone is welcome to attend the ceremony, which has been held at Hilton Coliseum, the second-largest campus venue. This year, however, we anticipate attendance for spring undergraduate commencement to exceed Hilton’s maximum capacity. As a result, for the first time ever, we are moving this ceremony to our largest university venue, Jack Trice Stadium.

This will be an exciting venue for our graduates and guests. Last fall, we completed a stunning renovation of Jack Trice Stadium, closing in the south end zone and creating an attractive new entrance. It is one of the most beautiful college stadiums in the country and offers easy access and parking.

Ceremony Details
What: Spring 2016 Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony
Where: Jack Trice Stadium
When: Saturday, May 7 at 1:30 p.m.; gates open at 11:30 a.m.
Parking: Parking map found here
Enter Stadium: Gate 3 (south side) or Gate 5 (northwest side)
Seating: West side only
Mobility Impaired: Parking available in lot S3; enter the stadium at Gate 3
Concessions: Limited refreshments will be available for sale at the stadium
Optional Indoor Viewing: Available in Stephens Auditorium, where livestream video of the ceremony will be shown

Information for Graduates
Graduates should wear their regalia and report to Bergstrom Football Complex no later than 12:15 p.m. for check-in and processional lineup.

Inclement Weather Contingency Plan
In preparation for the move to an outdoor venue, we are keeping a close eye on the forecast and have developed a weather contingency plan. In the event of inclement weather, the undergraduate commencement ceremony will return to Hilton Coliseum, with overflow seating in Stephens Auditorium, where livestream video of the ceremony will be shown.

If the contingency plan is activated, an official notice from the University Registrar’s office will be communicated by noon, Friday, May 6, on the Iowa State University homepage: www.iastate.edu.

More Information and Questions
As more information becomes available, it will be posted on the Iowa State Graduation & Commencement website: www.graduation.iastate.edu. Questions can be emailed to [email protected].

As of today, the forecast for May 7 is 75 degrees and partly cloudy. Let’s hope for a beautiful Iowa spring day to celebrate the tremendous accomplishments of our graduates! I look forward to seeing you at commencement.

Sincerely,
Steven Leath
Steven Leath
President

iastatehunter

Jul 28, 2013
You just beat me to it! I'm even more glad that I was only planning on doing the Business Convocation on Friday.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Saw this and wondered whether they mean vending machines: Concessions: Limited refreshments will be available for sale at the stadium.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Since graduates line up in Bergstrom, would be hilarious if they did the Cyclone Warning but commencement probably a little too serious for that.:spinny:

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
You just beat me to it! I'm even more glad that I was only planning on doing the Business Convocation on Friday.

I wasn't really considering the Business Convocation but honestly when I got this email I definitely considered walking just for the sake of being part of the first class to do it at JTS.

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
Nice! I wish my graduation ceremony would have been at JTS. It will specially be cool now that the stadium is expanded.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
That's pretty cool. Puts I to perspective how much the school has grown. I did spring commencement 6 years ago and I'm pretty sure Hilton was still set up like volleyball. But I'm not sure that they ever opened up the side behind the stage for graduation

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron