Spencer Jones

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I do realize there aren’t any laws. However, it is something that is taught while training that your hands are now considered weapons. It is also hard to change peoples mindset on what they believe. A jury of your peers may have a preconceived notion that you shouldn’t be fighting due to your advantages.

Hey mac. Do the names Hockensmith and Pebbles, I mean"Pepeli" ring a bell? Was going to GG it in my youth except I had a bit of a problem......I didn't like getting hit. Anyway along with your hands being considered weapons, we were always always taught(nothing formal like you) you do just enough to subdue. I think the MMA guy may have a bit of a problem with that.

I have known wrestlers who take down someone and hold them until things settle down or are broken up. They aren't tough guys, just doing what they know. This MMA guy probably could have done that same thing to Jones, especially in a small area like the bathroom. I know it's easy for me to say, I wasn't there. But from what little I have seen, I've walked away from worse than what Jones was dishing. So I think it's entirely possible they look at his formal fighting history and do hold that against him.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
There are two teachable moments here:
1. Tough guys will eventually run into a tougher guy
2. No matter who wins the fight, the lawyers win in the end

Another teachable moment will be in Riley's first team meeting:
"Guys, I want you to look at this picture. It's called a cauliflower. Do not mess with the cauliflower.
Now look at this picture. This what happens when you mess with the cauliflower."

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
That all happened when I was younger. Ill explain a little better. When you spend weeks in a field, shooting rifles, blowing stuff up, doing the most manly type of aggressive behavior. Then you are turned lose with Alcohol on the on base bars or off base bars with a bunch of other highly charged individuals. Things go the wrong way. It's hard to explain. I know a crap load of Marines that when they say "We are going to war". Get extremely excited to go fight. I have not been that way for over 20 years. However, the mind set from when I was younger it made sense to me. Now I look at these types of fights and say "What are these morons doing". I guess I grew up.

As we age the wisdom usually goes up, and the testosterone always goes down.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
When Sooners get in bar fights and all isn't it usually a Sooner punching some gal?

If Jones actually lines up at receiver again I am thinking there is going to be some open season on trash talking. Almost endless easy taunts available out of this.

Every time I see one of these viral fight things I am a little surprised when no pulls out a gun and things go even further south.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
When Sooners get in bar fights and all isn't it usually a Sooner punching some gal?

If Jones actually lines up at receiver again I am thinking there is going to be some open season on trash talking. Almost endless easy taunts available out of this.

Every time I see one of these viral fight things I am a little surprised when no pulls out a gun and things go even further south.
People talk big but they're usually cowards.

Reactions: cyputz

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
Hey mac. Do the names Hockensmith and Pebbles, I mean"Pepeli" ring a bell? Was going to GG it in my youth except I had a bit of a problem......I didn't like getting hit. Anyway along with your hands being considered weapons, we were always always taught(nothing formal like you) you do just enough to subdue. I think the MMA guy may have a bit of a problem with that.

I have known wrestlers who take down someone and hold them until things settle down or are broken up. They aren't tough guys, just doing what they know. This MMA guy probably could have done that same thing to Jones, especially in a small area like the bathroom. I know it's easy for me to say, I wasn't there. But from what little I have seen, I've walked away from worse than what Jones was dishing. So I think it's entirely possible they look at his formal fighting history and do hold that against him.

George Hockensmith was my best friend. He was a 4 or 5 time Golden Gloves Champion. Roger Pebble boxed in my gym and he was fighting heavyweight 205. So I went down from 205 to 178 light heavyweight. Oddly enough Pebbles and I won but George lost in the finals to Brian Pantzlaff of Davenport. To this day, one of the greatest fights I saw in person. Pebble went out to California to fight for Dan Goosen boxing under the name Rocky Pepeli. Pepeli was his family’s original name when his ancestors came over.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
George Hockensmith was my best friend. He was a 4 or 5 time Golden Gloves Champion. Roger Pebble boxed in my gym and he was fighting heavyweight 205. So I went down from 205 to 178 light heavyweight. Oddly enough Pebbles and I won but George lost in the finals to Brian Pantzlaff of Davenport. To this day, one of the greatest fights I saw in person. Pebble went out to California to fight for Dan Goosen boxing under the name Rocky Pepeli. Pepeli was his family’s original name when his ancestors came over.

I remember Rocky. He was kind of a journeyman. Had a few fights on ESPN. Fought Buster Douglas and a Washed up Larry Holmes. You ever box Jeremy Williams?

Reactions: cymac2408

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
I remember Rocky. He was kind of a journeyman. Had a few fights on ESPN. Fought Buster Douglas and a Washed up Larry Holmes. You ever box Jeremy Williams?

Roger (Rocky) was a paid sparring partner for Mike Tyson. Jeremy came along way after I had stopped. Jeremy was 10 when I won the gloves. After the fight with the Marine in San Diego. Part of my punishment was to try out for the all Navy boxing team. Richard Pettigrew Jr was in town with the team. I got beat around by their light heavyweight for 3 rounds . He told me I made the team but I knew I didn’t want to get my head beat in for the next 4 years.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

Don't know either one just figured you might. However, George and I did "meet" once because of some lies a girl was telling both of us and in the end we parted ways none the worse agreeing she wasn't worth going heals over. She was summarily dumped twice in a matter of five minutes.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Roger (Rocky) was a paid sparring partner for Mike Tyson. Jeremy came along way after I had stopped. Jeremy was 10 when I won the gloves. After the fight with the Marine in San Diego. Part of my punishment was to try out for the all Navy boxing team. Richard Pettigrew Jr was in town with the team. I got beat around by their light heavyweight for 3 rounds . He told me I made the team but I knew I didn’t want to get my head beat in for the next 4 years.

I knew Jeremy and spared with him. I’m not a boxer but ask him if I could come see how good a real good boxer is. I looked ridiculous and quit after the second round. Both were one minute rounds. He weighed about 180 back then and went on to fight heavyweight as a pro.

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
Don't know either one just figured you might. However, George and I did "meet" once because of some lies a girl was telling both of us and in the end we parted ways none the worse agreeing she wasn't worth going heals over. She was summarily dumped twice in a matter of five minutes.

Funny you two met over a girl. George’s main problems were girls and extra curriculars. George is moving next month down to Arizona. He used to run the tough man competition in Iowa. He actually fought Butterbean in Vegas in a national tough man competition.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I knew Jeremy and spared with him. I’m not a boxer but ask him if I could come see how good a real good boxer is. I looked ridiculous and quit after the second round. Both were one minute rounds. He weighed about 180 back then and went on to fight heavyweight as a pro.

That sounds like something I tried many moons ago with someone about 20 pounds heavier(forget his name, I think he was GG no one famous)to see if I had what it would take to pursue. Well, after surviving 3 with little damage I get cocky, he then straightens me with a good jab then a left hook......and the number of fingers my friend is holding up was Tuesday. Hence...the hello and good-bye to my boxing career.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Drew0311

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
That sounds like something I tried many moons ago with someone about 20 pounds heavier(forget his name, I think he was GG no one famous)to see if I had what it would take to pursue. Well, after surviving 3 with little damage I get cocky, he then straightens me with a good jab then a left hook......and the number of fingers my friend is holding up was Tuesday. Hence...the hello and good-bye to my boxing career.

Steve, what is GG? Yeah that is the bad part of boxing (getting hit). I’ve always liked Mike Tyson’s quote, “everyone has a great plan until they get punched in the face.”