Somewhat surprised Campbell isn't higher on the list ...

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
  • *Your top five among coaches who have gone at least 10 years in this sample: Pat Fitzgerald, Urban Meyer, Paul Johnson, David Bailiff, and Gary Pinkel.*Your bottom five among 10-year guys: Doug Martin, Kirk Ferentz, Al Golden, June Jones, Larry Blakeney.

• Winner
Reactions: GTO

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I like Campbell but I thought he made a lot of mistakes coaching last year. He's still got a lot to prove to me.

Yeah. I remember how thoroughly unprepared the team looked for the season opener. But like the rest of the team, he and the coaching staff made some big strides as the season progressed.

• Agree
Reactions: dawgpound

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Yeah. I remember how thoroughly unprepared the team looked for the season opener. But like the rest of the team, he and the coaching staff made some big strides as the season progressed.

I did too. But I thought the West Virginia game was a big step back. Also some of the problems like clock issues didn't go completely away after the first game.

I think the disappointing thing overall is that it wasn't like this was his first head coaching job or his first time with this staff. So to be completely clueless on game 1 is less excusable.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com

Should come as no surprise, really. It's hard to know exactly what you're working with until the bullets are firing.

No excuses this year, though. I expect to see a team firing on all cylinders September 2nd. Farley had to completely overhaul his staff- I'll lose my God damned mind if we have trouble finding the endzone.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Things unwound rapidly in the 2nd half. There's a lot of quit in the upper classmen. That's a mentality this staff really needs to destroy as quickly as possible.

Ehhh....the main problem I had was not giving lanning a chance in that game.

• Agree
Reactions: TheJackWePack5

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I did too. But I thought the West Virginia game was a big step back. Also some of the problems like clock issues didn't go completely away after the first game.

I think the disappointing thing overall is that it wasn't like this was his first head coaching job or his first time with this staff. So to be completely clueless on game 1 is less excusable.
Team looked competitive in that game. Moved the ball well, just couldn't find the end zone and had a few turnovers.

I'll be very disappointed if the team is even remotely close to as unprepared as they were last year for UNI.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I believe Campbell was in the top 25 before last season, where we basically won as many games as expected. So everything included in that metric is really due to his tenure at Toledo. But I think we can take that, along with Iowa State's performance over the last 1/2 of last season, and still feel good about the direction of the program.

That same author has done studies indicating that a team's performance over the final 5 to 6 weeks of the season is much more predictive of the next season than the same team's performance in a bowl game. So the fact that we played pretty well (relative to "normal" ISU) in October and November last year is a positive sign.

• Optimistic
Reactions: TykeClone

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Team looked competitive in that game. Moved the ball well, just couldn't find the end zone and had a few turnovers.

I'll be very disappointed if the team is even remotely close to as unprepared as they were last year for UNI.

Like I said before, my main complaint there was not giving lanning a shot in that game. He was coming off an incredible game. He had been solid all year. He came in once and scored a TD that was called back on a hold--not his fault.

I understand the argument that West Virginia was a better matchup for park, but like you said they couldn't score with him anyway. So why not try the guy who scored 6 TDs a few weeks before? It's not like Joel couldn't pass.

• Agree
Reactions: TheJackWePack5

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Ehhh....the main problem I had was not giving lanning a chance in that game.

Well, not every team is as terrible against the run as Texas Tech. West Virginia had a capable defense; a solid team overall last year. Plus their ability to run the ball really exposed a secondary that looked brilliant when they could sit back in coverage.

Our front seven just needs a lot of work. I hope they're hitting it hard in the weight room right now...

• Agree
Reactions: MeowingCows

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Repeating but if the first two weeks are something like last year, questioning CMC shouldn't be dismissed.

I think he was a year too late vs. apathy of the fanbase so it makes the uphill battle that much more, but it should still be a better deal.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Well, not every team is as terrible against the run as Texas Tech. West Virginia had a capable defense; a solid team overall last year. Plus their ability to run the ball really exposed a secondary that looked brilliant when they could sit back in coverage.

Our front seven just needs a lot of work. I hope they're hitting it hard in the weight room right now...

Again, why not give him a shot. The offense sucked anyway. He did manage to score s TD on the one play he was in on. And park wasn't lighting it on fire anyway. One series in the **** show that was that second half doesn't seem unreasonable for a player that was proven.

I'm sure they were trying to run him off snd once he decided to stay they switched him to defense.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.

Most of our guys will be newcomers or underclassmen (aside from a few solid upperclassmen).

I hope they've been hitting it hard all offseason, but there will almost certainly be a learning curve.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Well, let's just keep in mind CMC's rating is based on his Toledo results as he won the expected three games last year (not the three we were supposed to win, but 3 is 3). So we have to give him time to recruit and install his system and his "plan" as Tolfbfan has reminded us several times. I think we can eventually expect him to win games he is not favored to win. I sure get the impression that is what his players believe as well, which is even more important.

• Agree
Reactions: besserheimerphat