Solo: A Star Wars Story

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
The emperor in episode 4-6 was built up slowly. In episode 4, you get a mention of him ending the imperial senate. Then in 5, you see him and his interest in Luke. Then in 6, he is the main villain in the movie. Across all three movies, he is built up in importance.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
How is this any different than the Emperor in the original trilogy?

Besides Episodes I-III?

Snoke is the catalyst to the entire sequel trilogy. Without him there is no Kylo Ren, there is no First Order, there is no Resistance, Luke isn't a cowardly hermit. The New Republic lived happily ever after. But we've gotten no explanation. None. The Emperor's story wasn't entirely fleshed out in the OT, but George was clever enough to sprinkle a couple vague stories into the dialogue:

The Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times. Before the Empire...

The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I've just received word that the emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away.

Do not underestimate the powers of the emperor or suffer your father's fate you will.

To me Star Wars is just like the Marvel movies.

That explains a lot.

Reactions: khardbored

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The emperor in episode 4-6 was built up slowly. In episode 4, you get a mention of him ending the imperial senate. Then in 5, you see him and his interest in Luke. Then in 6, he is the main villain in the movie. Across all three movies, he is built up in importance.
You learn less about the emperor than you do Snoke. You dont even learn his name. He was fleshed out in the books and prequals.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
If many of the critics put the original trilogy under the same microscope they put TFA and TLJ under they wouldn't be Star Wars fans.

Please compile a comprehensive list comparing the plot holes and contradictions between the original (not prequel) and sequel trilogies. I'd love to tear it apart for you.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
That explains a lot.

So you tell me, what are you watching for if not to be entertained? I'm honestly confused.

Snoke is the catalyst to the entire sequel trilogy. Without him there is no Kylo Ren, there is no First Order, there is no Resistance, Luke isn't a cowardly hermit. The New Republic lived happily ever after. But we've gotten no explanation. None. The Emperor's story wasn't entirely fleshed out in the OT, but George was clever enough to sprinkle a couple vague stories into the dialogue:

The Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times. Before the Empire...

The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I've just received word that the emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away.

Do not underestimate the powers of the emperor or suffer your father's fate you will.

Again, this is basically what we know about Snoke. We know he turned Kylo, basically destroying Luke's attempt to restart the Jedi. We know he has taken over the remnants of the Empire and rebuilt the war machine. That's basically what we knew about the Emperor for 20 years until the prequels came out.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Please compile a comprehensive list comparing the plot holes and contradictions between the original (not prequel) and sequel trilogies. I'd love to tear it apart for you.

Here's the deal - you give me a list of plot holes from TLJ, and I can probably find a situation directly relating to it from the original trilogy.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

The plot of Rogue One is centered around one of the most infamous plot holes in cinema history! There are a ton of plot holes in the original trilogy and I'm not going to compile them for you. The internet has done that ad nauseum. Hop on Google and have at it.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Here's the deal - you give me a list of plot holes from TLJ, and I can probably find a situation directly relating to it from the original trilogy.

~Finn mops the room on the Supremacy housing the hyperspace tracker, yet states "that's impossible" when the First Order successfully tracks the Resistance.

~Snoke throws Hux around like a ragdoll for losing the Resistance because: he's unaware that there's a hyperspace tracker on his ship??

~Luke goes to "the most unfindable place in the galaxy" yet there's a detailed map? Why?

~Holdo withholding the plan from Poe. Why?

~"Failure the greatest teacher is." "Do or do not. There is no try."

~"If you choose to face Vader, you will do it alone. I cannot interfere."
tree.gif

~
No explanation to how Maz Kanata finds Anakin's lightsaber or why it calls to Rey. And we'll never know because:

~
Rey and Kylo destroy Anakin's lightsaber, but Kylo doesn't seem to recognize Luke using it later.

~Apparently TIE fighters are unable to outrun cruisers and Resistance bombers are constructed of papier mache.

Those are the biggest off the top of my head. I can probably find more, but I do need to get back to work...

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
The plot of Rogue One is centered around one of the most infamous plot holes in cinema history! There are a ton of plot holes in the original trilogy and I'm not going to compile them for you. The internet has done that ad nauseum. Hop on Google and have at it.

Here's a good list:

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-original-trilogy-plot-holes/

Electing not to blow up the gas giant Yavin is the most troubling; but perhaps the Death Star was specifically calibrated for destroying smaller, rocky planets more suitable to sustaining life. Maybe zapping a gas giant is harder than it sounds. :D

I suppose disabling the Falcon was another part of Vader's altered deal. Lando would probably want to keep the ship, so Vader opted to shut down the hyperdrive just in case.

The rest don't really bother me that much. Leia remembering her mother would have worked, but George screwed that up in ROTS.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
~Luke goes to "the most unfindable place in the galaxy" yet there's a detailed map? Why?

Obi-Wan wants to hide a child from Vader he thinks is incredibly important, so he wants to take him to an unfindable place... and brings him to Vader's immediate family and doesn't bother changing his name. Why?

~Holdo withholding the plan from Poe. Why?

Luke changes plans, deciding to go to Dagobah to train without telling anybody else in the entire rebellion. Why? Wouldn't losing Luke after he escaped from the battle on Hoth be a priority 1 issue? Wouldn't the rebellion be risking the lives of a lot of people to go look for him?

~Finn mops the room on the Supremacy housing the hyperspace tracker, yet states "that's impossible" when the First Order successfully tracks the Resistance.

~Snoke throws Hux around like a ragdoll for losing the Resistance because: he's unaware that there's a hyperspace tracker on his ship?

The entire hyperspace tracker this is sort of a dumb McGuffin... however, is it any more stupid than the Emperor leaking his own actual plans for the most recent Death Star to the rebellion in RoTJ? Why not just if them fake plans, with a fake shield generator location, and just blow it up when Han and Chewy walk in?

Furthermore, Finn was a janitor. The idea that he would know exactly what the machine is just by looking at it is unlikely. Also, it's frankly unlikely he would do much janitorial work since you know, they have droids to do that kind of thing.

~Rey and Kylo destroy Anakin's lightsaber, but Kylo doesn't seem to recognize Luke using it later.

You think somebody as emotional as Kylo would notice the lightsaber? I honestly never even thought of it until you mentioned it.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Finally I'll just add that what seems to really get people is the idea that Luke would never just give up the fight. He was trained by and obviously was mostly attached to Yoda. When Yoda failed, he absolutely gave up the fight. He put himself into a voluntary exile. He didn't even want to train Luke and had to be convinced. Why is it so unbelievable that Yoda and Obi-Wan would go into hiding and Luke would not? Why is he vastly different than those two? Why wouldn't he do what the prior Jedi masters he holds in high regard would do?

If we're really nitpicking, why would Obi-Wan just let himself be killed by Vader? Yeah he's more powerful than Vader could ever imagine... now he gets to come back as a blue ghost and talk to Luke sometimes. I mean if we want to nitpick TLJ, and that's what we're doing here, we could easily nitpick the the original trilogy to death.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Here's a good list:

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-original-trilogy-plot-holes/

Electing not to blow up the gas giant Yavin is the most troubling; but perhaps the Death Star was specifically calibrated for destroying smaller, rocky planets more suitable to sustaining life. Maybe zapping a gas giant is harder than it sounds. :D

I suppose disabling the Falcon was another part of Vader's altered deal. Lando would probably want to keep the ship, so Vader opted to shut down the hyperdrive just in case.

The rest don't really bother me that much. Leia remembering her mother would have worked, but George screwed that up in ROTS.

There's quite a few more that aren't even on that list, including some major ones, but who cares. As you point out, you can come up with your own explanations for some or just don't give a rip about them. I dont care about the plot holes in the original trilogy because I love the movies. They are my favorite movies. Can't you let those who want to afford the new films the same leniancy be.

You hate the TLJ with a passion. We all get it. Not only have you beaten the horse to death you have ****** it in every orafice multiple times. You devolve every single Star Wars thread into a ******** session about TLJ. Please just let it go.

Reactions: Gordyo5

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Since I see a bunch of Snoke discussion on here, I thought it would be worth throwing out that I didn't love the Last Jedi and didn't love Snoke in The Force Awakens, HOWEVER, I did actually really like Snoke in The Last Jedi. In fact, I thought he was one of the best parts of the movie. Andy Serkis and the special effects people did a really good job. I also didn't hate them killing him off somewhat surprisingly. To me, Snoke was not what was wrong with that movie.

• Agree
Reactions: harimad and 247cy

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
You hate the TLJ with a passion. We all get it. Not only have you beaten the horse to death you have ****** it in every orafice multiple times. You devolve every single Star Wars thread into a ******** session about TLJ. Please just let it go.

Nah. I thoroughly enjoy ****ing all over Rian Johnson & Episode VIII every chance I get. Don't worry- I'll keep fighting the good fight until the end of time.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think TLJ had great moments, but there were some iffy story arcs. I don't necessarily have any issues with the "risks" taken even if I disagreed with them, but a couple of the story arcs left me underwhelmed.

I am also a "Snoke is not dead" believer. Snoke has the ability to connect minds halfway across the galaxy. Luke Skywalker shows the ability of force projection with adamant objects others can interact with (Han's dice). Is Snoke able to force project his body cut in half? "I cannot be betrayed. I cannot be beaten. I see his mind: I see his every intent. Yes! I see him turning the lightsaber to strike true! And now, foolish child, he ignites it and kills his true enemy!"

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron