Solo: A Star Wars Story

247cy

Nov 14, 2006
Spring Hill, KS
@SCNCY - Son of Dathomir is the 4 issue arc. Last of the Dark Horse comics (before the switch to Marvel), but I believe it is still cannon unlike many of its Dark Horse siblings. Maul unites Mandalore Death Watch, Pyke Syndicate, Hutts, and Black Sun together under the Shadow Collective name to battle Sidious/Dooku. Crimson Dawn is not a thing yet in this arc, so it appears Maul may create that group after this story goes down.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
You = they, Your = their

You just summed up the pissy nature of the fan who will hate anything that comes out that doesn't fit their preconceived story arc.

Did I like the story arc of Rose in TLJ? No, but not enough for me to spend hours on the internet trashing the film and bombarding Rotten Tomatoes with bad reviews. Yes, those people exist. And every time I see someone get all up in arms about a new SW movie I just picture the comic book nerd from The Simpsons. "The story did not align with my own authored fan fiction book so therefore I will hate it".

Can you pinpoint the preconceived story arcs for us then? I'd love to know what they were. All I wanted was a decent ****ing story. Instead we got space ponies and alien boobs. The original trilogy set a high standard. With Disney's disposable income it'd be nice to at least not have our intelligence insulted.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Can you pinpoint the preconceived story arcs for us then? I'd love to know what they were. All I wanted was a decent ****ing story. Instead we got space ponies and alien boobs. The original trilogy set a high standard. With Disney's disposable income it'd be nice to at least not have our intelligence insulted.
I'm sure glad there weren't any alien boobs in any of the original trilogy movies.

oola&yar.jpg

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Even at 15 this made me cringe:

• Funny
Reactions: khardbored

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
You know what... never mind that question. I could totally see some of the people on this board going to the bar and loudly declaring "Look at the utters on that heifer!". Carry on.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I knew Ron Howard wouldn't let me down. He's a competent director and it shows. Went to the theater last night and was pleasantly surprised; especially by John Powell's orchestration. I was underwhelmed with Giacchino to the point I was distracted in Rogue One. But to be fair to Giacchino, Disney didn't allow him much time (2nd choice).

This is a good movie you guys. I'd give it 4 out of 5. Is it mind-blowing perfection? Of course not. But it felt like Star Wars and was a nice addition to the lore.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Nope. The only one I know was a competent QB.

2540390_orig.jpg

I don't refer to udders as boobs either.
Lol! Whoops! I think I just lost my status as an Iowan. Does this mean I am going to be deported from the state now?

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
I took my 11 year old son to see Solo, we both enjoyed it. I took it for what it was and just sat back. I thought Emmerich did a fine job of playing Solo. There were some times the writing/acting may have gone just a bit far but overall it was pretty good and would not mind seeing it again.

My 11 year old loved it, especially the end! He could not believe who showed up on screen.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
That's just the tip of the ice berg. There are plenty of reasons to hate the film. It's horrible and people should feel bad for liking it.

No they shouldn't. People should be free to like anything for any reason they want.

• Disagree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I've been a Star Trek and Star Wars fan for life. My biggest fanaticism as a Star Wars fan came in the years after RotJ where there was no content and no product...really not many active fans. Solo pretty much delivers a movie of what I was thinking about in those years.

Trekkies have always annoyed me beyond belief and I want nothing to do with them. When The Next Generation launched Trekkies hated it with a passion, so much they sent death threats. Now it's sacred and other things are trashed for not being identical to TNG that got death threats at the time. The new movie trilogy is great but a Trekkie does nothing but bash on it.

Star Wars fans are going that way fast and it's annoying AF.

Agreed. There is a contingent of Star Wars fans that have become exhausting. They are popcorn movies for kids for goodness sake. I liked TLJ, I like TFA, and I'm pretty easy to please with Star Wars. That is a perfectly acceptable and probably more mentally healthy way to consume it. Quite frankly I enjoyed the prequels too. Pop some lightsabers, show me some space fights, and I'm pretty much happy.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

Snoke is a perfect example. After TFA, many "hardcore" fans hated Snoke. In fact, there was a poll before TLJ came out showing he was the least liked character in the history of the franchise. He dies in TLJ, and people are pissed. PEOPLE HATED THE CHARACTER. Losing him should have made those fans happy. Instead, the same ones ******** about him in the first place are now mad.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
They are popcorn movies for kids for goodness sake.

Wrong.

While TLJ & Phantom Menace specifically pandered to children (with disastrous results), Star Wars is traditionally an ALL AGES franchise with heroic story arcs and strong villains. Hardcore fans memorize the dialogue. Michael Bay's Transformers franchise is a better example of disposable popcorn fare. I strongly disagree with your assessment; we obviously like Star Wars for very different reasons.

Snoke is a perfect example. After TFA, many "hardcore" fans hated Snoke. In fact, there was a poll before TLJ came out showing he was the least liked character in the history of the franchise. He dies in TLJ, and people are pissed. PEOPLE HATED THE CHARACTER. Losing him should have made those fans happy. Instead, the same ones ******** about him in the first place are now mad.

No effort was dedicated to explaining his rise to power (character building), making his death meaningless. Fans may have appreciated the character more if some kind of history was established. Rian had this opportunity and elected to kill him for cheap shock value instead.

No they shouldn't. People should be free to like anything for any reason they want.

i-must-break-you-movies-quote-450x300.png

• Disagree
Reactions: rholtgraves

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
No effort was dedicated to explaining his rise to power (character building), making his death meaningless. Fans may have appreciated the character more if some kind of history was established. Rian had this opportunity and elected to kill him for cheap shock value instead.

How is this any different than the Emperor in the original trilogy?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
How is this any different than the Emperor in the original trilogy?

It's not, and you're a bad person for questioning him.

I strongly disagree with your assessment; we obviously like Star Wars for very different reasons.

Honest question, what reason is there other than to be entertained? To me Star Wars is just like the Marvel movies. It's people with fantastic abilities doing cool stuff in interesting environments and I get to have the fun of watching them do it. Both sets of movies present a bad guy who wants to do something and good guys who want to stop that bad guy from doing the thing.