So how is ISU accomplishing the massive growth?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
This is right on target. We moved from Iowa when my girls were young, so they did not grow up "Iowans". Between the 2 of them we've visited WVU, Virginia, VT, Maryland, Rutgers, Princeton, Penn, Drexel, St. Joe's, Stanford, UCBerkely, USC, Long Beach, and others I'm probably forgetting. I got them to visit ISU just because they were back in Iowa for a visit. Every other place on this list were done in 3 hours tops. ISU visit was the entire day. They got to tour their specific department and talk to professors in their major. They talked to financial councilors individually who tailored their discussion for out of state students. The older one talked to transfer councilors who guided her on what she would need to transfer in to her major of choice.

None of the other schools even came close to the amount of attention that ISU gave.

ISU has a great salesman approach on the campus, credit cards, alumni, cy tv, football tickets, depts, and hi qual water.

johnnydugouts

Jan 11, 2013
depends on your definition. UI is improving in national education rankings while ISU is falling. perhaps we are growing too fast.

also I have a relative at a UIHC specialty unit right now and holy crap is that hospital impressive. cyclone or not, UIHC is great for the state.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
depends on your definition. UI is improving in national education rankings while ISU is falling. perhaps we are growing too fast.

also I have a relative at a UIHC specialty unit right now and holy crap is that hospital impressive. cyclone or not, UIHC is great for the state.
we
we
we

Dude, just give it up already. NOBODY believes you.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
All that matters is kids keep showing up and employers keep hiring ISU graduates.

Have these happen and they can rank us last and AIB east first and I won't care.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

Trollollollolo

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

Is UW in Iowa now too? Damn, five major universities in Iowa now?! This is what happens when I'm gone for a year.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
I went to UI for 2-1/2 years, graduated from UNI. Never set foot in an ISU classroom. I've long thought, if I were doing it over and had been serious about career in high school, I would have gone to ISU and gotten into an ag curriculum of some sort, trying to do good and important work in a key field (so to speak) of human well-being.

Maybe kids today are a whole lot better motivated than were some in my day. Including engineering, of course. I was born into a nation of 150 million people, U.S. population is more than double that today. The sciences are key to our future, now more than ever before. Right?

The Iowa State University of Science and Technology.

Last edited:

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
I fully expect to see you waiting in my living room some day.

I heard service is really slow in your living room (is that really what you call your seated dining area?) when you're running the fry station.

Wait-Waiting-Now-waiting-Long-wait-W8-Line-Long-line-GIF.gif

Last edited:

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I stood on the hillside at a Chizik era football game and remember commenting "Look at all these kids." I think in some small way the Junior Cyclone Club program has had an impact on enrollment as well. These kids have had a low cost way of attending Cyclone games of all kinds since they were in grade school. Make them a fan early and it might lead to them being a student later.

With the Hispanic population growing so fast in Iowa, Iowa State's next initiative should target the coming generation of high school graduates who were born in the state to immigrant parents. I was in western Iowa recently and saw a couple of younger Hispanic guys walking out of a store wearing Hawkeye hats. We've got to stop that right now.

This is very underestimated and will start to (if it hasn't already) to pay huge dividends for the school's recruitment efforts very soon. The family-focused marketing our Athletics Department does is phenomenal.

cemarclone

Feb 6, 2014
This is very underestimated and will start to (if it hasn't already) to pay huge dividends for the school's recruitment efforts very soon. The family-focused marketing our Athletics Department does is phenomenal.

When you look at movie nights and see 10,000 people with about 6,000 very young children have a great time, you can see where future growth may come from. Those kids are going to be 18 some day, and they are going to have fun memories of coming to ISU for the movie, and they will have no such memory with other schools. It is definitely a recruiting tool that will pay off big years down the road.

Like the guys on KGYM say, in this state, ISU comes across as the "fun" athletic department. And this is why it does not sit well with Hawkeyes. Going to be interesting in 3 years when ISU has 40,000 on campus and Iowa is still sitting at 31,000, where they have been for pretty much 20 years.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Actually I think it has more to do with ISU being more convenient for the 1/3rd of the population in the state that lives near DSM.

Growing up near the Quad Cities, I've been watching my friends (that grew up as Iowa fans, and some even went there) post pictures on FB of their kids going off to school this fall. There are a bunch going to Iowa State while I've not seen one photo of a student going to Iowa. Certainly this is an unscientific experiment and the sample size is small, but it was significant enough for me to notice.

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
Growing up near the Quad Cities, I've been watching my friends (that grew up as Iowa fans, and some even went there) post pictures on FB of their kids going off to school this fall. There are a bunch going to Iowa State while I've not seen one photo of a student going to Iowa. Certainly this is an unscientific experiment and the sample size is small, but it was significant enough for me to notice.

I noticed a lot more people wearing ISU gear in the QC over the last 3 years. Now if only someone would open up a Cyclone bar.

cemarclone

Feb 6, 2014
I noticed a lot more people wearing ISU gear in the QC over the last 3 years. Now if only someone would open up a Cyclone bar.

I live in the CR area, and this last new years eve party, we had about 5 kids there that are college age. They all start talking about their friends and where they are now. None of these kids went to either Iowa or ISU. I listen in, and start rattling off their friends, and when they mention kids that went to Iowa, they all comments "Figures, he/she always liked to party". They did not degrade any other kids for where they went, just the kids going to Iowa. So obviously Iowa has a huge image problem with Iowa kids.