Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Those with Recteqs, do they do well grilling/searing and also smoking in cold weather?
If you buy a bullseye it will. Outside of that model they don't grill or sear any better than any other brand. If you buy sear plates they will do ok, but don't expect gas grill levels of searing.

As far as smoking in the cold, never been an issue.

• Informative
Reactions: JP4CY

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Me and 3 friends all have ReqTeqs and never any issues. They are dropping some new models on October 9th.
I bought a 590 in October last year and it has been mostly trouble free other than an absolutely nightmare of delivery.

I follow some Rec Teq groups on Facebook and Reddit and there are a lot more quality control issues popping up in the last 8-12 months. For the money, they're still the best option IMO.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
I bought a 590 in October last year and it has been mostly trouble free other than an absolutely nightmare of delivery.

I follow some Rec Teq groups on Facebook and Reddit and there are a lot more quality control issues popping up in the last 8-12 months. For the money, they're still the best option IMO.
My box came damaged but the smoker was fine and my buddies was delivered damaged so they had to send him a new one. They really need to get shipping figured out.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I'm still torn on what to buy. Today I'm leaning towards a the Yoder rather than the stick burner. In a couple weeks I'm heading down to KC and plan on visiting a place that has both of these as well a few other options.

yoder-smokers-ys640s-pellet-grill-on-competition-cart-orange-wire-shelves-8-outdoor-grills-40163352641813.webp

416caf_afc0105e4ad2429aa0ce16082134e890~mv2.png

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
I'm still torn on what to buy. Today I'm leaning towards a the Yoder rather than the stick burner. In a couple weeks I'm heading down to KC and plan on visiting a place that has both of these as well a few other options.

yoder-smokers-ys640s-pellet-grill-on-competition-cart-orange-wire-shelves-8-outdoor-grills-40163352641813.webp

You want to cheat or you want to be a true Pit Master?

Im lazy so I would go Yoder.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

Which store?

FWIW I heard Murph/Andy say TNT in Ankeny has 10% off smokers this weekend.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Smoked Salmon today. 225 for about 1 hour on the kettle with apple wood. Pulled it at 130 degrees, which is perfect for us. Left it on the foil as I was afraid it would stick. The meat was really moist and perfect but I think I could get more smoke flavor right on the grates. Anybody have success putting theirs directly on the grates or is foil the better way? View attachment 117226
View attachment 117227
I’ve smoked salmon a few times. I put mine on a stainless steel grate in a pan on a pellet smoker. I’ve always done skin on with the skin side on the grate without issue…I also go lower temp. 1695842653042.jpeg

Lots of good details here: https://honest-food.net/how-to-smoke-salmon-recipe/

CY22

Sep 14, 2008
IA
How much can you fit in it?

I have a cheap little electric masterbuilt smoker, and I can get maybe 3 racks of ribs if I cut them in half…

I am excited about the idea of a pellet grill/smoker for the convenience.

I’d love to be able to do a few racks of ribs, maybe a loin, and some sides.
I fit 3 racks of St. Louis style ribs on it pretty easily, could have maybe fit a fourth. I've done as many as 4 boston butts at once, but that was a bit much. They all fit and tasted fine when they were done, but it ended up taking a lot longer to cook that many at once.

Besides smoking/cooking low and slow, we like to do burgers, brats, pork chops, and steaks on it. It doesn't get a great sear (temp only sets as high as 500, but it can get to 525-550 sometimes depending on pellets), but all of those taste great coming off of it. I can usually fit about a dozen 1/3 pound burgers on it. Gets a bit tricky rotating things when you figure out where your hot spots are.

It does have a top 1/2 shelf, fun to try some different sides on that from time to time. Frozen hashbrown patties on that top rack while doing burgers are amazing. Come off nice and crispy, but still soft after that initial crunch, and then the smokey flavor on top of it. Yum!

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Had my GMG DB over eight years now. It stays outside under it's cover. I keep the thermal blanket on it year round as I smoke in the winter. Just replaced the igniter for the first time. Easy change out. The Yoders are built like tanks and will last forever. I just can't see sticking that much into a smoker at at 59.

Last year had to bolt on the heat distributor on the underside of the the heat shield. Cheap electric weld job. Other than that, it continues to crank out some good smoked meats. Gotta get a batch of Dutch's baked beans on tomorrow for a friend's party on Friday. Just like Chili, baked beans are better after sitting overnight. Thinking about replacing the crushed pineapple it calls for in the recipe with peaches this time around.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
My masterbuilt has seen better days. This is the first time I've seen inside of it for a few years, I always had leftover lump charcoal.
PXL_20230921_182718430.jpg

I'm assuming the white portion is the part that sees the most heat, especially the few times I jacked it up to 700 degrees or so.

• Informative
Reactions: hiltonisheaven

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
My box came damaged but the smoker was fine and my buddies was delivered damaged so they had to send him a new one. They really need to get shipping figured out.
I actually received 3 over the span of 6 weeks and all 3 were damaged. The last one was minor enough that I pushed it out with a hammer and had them send me a free front shelf as compensation for my time and hassle over the last month and a half.

The interesting thing is that two of them could pretty convincingly be traced back to the factory, not the shipper. The second one I received actually had touch up paint on it in 3 different places where it has been scratched at the factory and covered. Their shipping has a bad rap (deservedly so), but a lot of the issues I had as well as others online are starting to appear to be QC related.

A neat thing about RT is their co-founder Ray Carnes is very active in their communities. I posted about my experience on the Facebook group and he actually replied with his personal phone number and I talked to him later that evening on a Saturday. He then called me to follow up on Monday morning to make sure things were good and to confirm that my suspicions of where the damage occured were likely correct based upon the photos I sent. That was really, really cool.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
It's supposedly quite a bit hotter than the carolina reaper variety, which is twice as hot as the typical ghost pepper variety. I usually don't like foods just for being hot but thought, ehh you only live once - and I have a new super powerful toilet:)
RIP your toilet

Attachments

• mud.jpg
    mud.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Funny
Reactions: Jer

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
It's supposedly quite a bit hotter than the carolina reaper variety, which is twice as hot as the typical ghost pepper variety. I usually don't like foods just for being hot but thought, ehh you only live once - and I have a new super powerful toilet:)
Isn't the Carolina Reaper the hottest pepper out there?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Your butthole is literally going to melt. Like permanent damage. When you fart next week, it’s going sound like a cough.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron