Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
]
Just bought a GMG Daniel Boone WiFi during the black friday sale ($399!).

Question for the other DB owners... what is the best grill cover? Doesn't look like the GMG brand cover fits very well, and is very short...?

What accessories are a must have?

GMG cover is a very heavy cover. My DB has been outdoors for over 5 years and it has held up great. Accesories are at least two oven type thermometers to make sure you get even heat side side. I added second interior shelf (see pic), added a front shelf, and a 3" furnace elbow on the inside. See post #87

Capture3.JPG

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Just bought a GMG Daniel Boone WiFi during the black friday sale ($399!).

Question for the other DB owners... what is the best grill cover? Doesn't look like the GMG brand cover fits very well, and is very short...?

What accessories are a must have?

Since the heat shield is able to move on the new GMG I would get a third party thermometer with multiple probes to get your heat even in the grill. Then with the wifi you can adjuster the temp your grill is reading in the app to get it zeroed in. If you are big on homemade pizza the pizza oven attachment is awesome.

dmdom

Oct 28, 2014
I'm tempted to start a thread on this but I'll start here. I just bought a GM Daniel Boone smoker. The dealer gave me a big speech about only using Lumber Jack brand pellets. Really trashed Pit Boss for uneven burn and less flavor.

Anyone notice any difference between pellet brands? Previously to this I had a small electric smoker and never noticed any difference in brands.

I typically been buying Pit Boss, Lumber Jack, or Traeger pellets.
I think Lumber Jack are a good pellet. I have used them and been happy.
My personal preference is BBQer's Delight. They burn real clean and low ash. When I got my first pellet cooker(2009) there weren't that many choices. I was cooking a lot more then, so was buying them direct from BBQer's Delight a pallet(2000lbs) at a time to get cost and shipping down to about $0.43/lb.
I just went through 400lbs of Louisiana Grills Cherry Pellets. I don't plan to buy them again. Lots of ash in firepot and more than normal fines(busted up pellets in bottom of the bag ie wood powder).
Traeger sells mountains of pellets, so people must be using them. I don't use them, as my understanding is they are mostly oak or alder and flavored with oils to be hickory, cherry etc.
Buy some small backs of different kinds and then you can decide what you like best.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Have ~10 family members coming over for Christmas dinner and was thinking about firing up the smoker with the temps we are going to be seeing. Anyone have a go to crowd pleaser recipe they would care to share?
I am wanting to try smoking some Salmon for one dish.

CubsClones1

Nov 12, 2012
Prairie City
Have ~10 family members coming over for Christmas dinner and was thinking about firing up the smoker with the temps we are going to be seeing. Anyone have a go to crowd pleaser recipe they would care to share?
This has been a huge hit in our house but not sure it would be for everyone for a Christmas dinner.

http://www.thewolfepit.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
going to do a Prime Rib. Start it at 250 degrees until internal temp is around 120-130 and going to reverse sear it.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Looking into a Green Mountain Grill/Smoker. Any positive or negatives to share for this product?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I would say get a big Bone in Boston butt and do pulled pork. That’s my go to in situations like that. Makes a ton and fairly easy to do. I would inject it with apple juice and apple cider vinegar and put the rub on a day before and then let that baby smoke at 220 for 10-12 hours depending on how big of one you get.

You can’t go wrong with pulled pork sandwiches and people can put what bbq sauce on it that they want. I prefer just eating it plan if it’s made correctly.

• Agree
Reactions: Remo Gaggi

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Looking into a Green Mountain Grill/Smoker. Any positive or negatives to share for this product?
I would just be prepared to use it only as a smoker/outdoor oven, I have not had success getting a good sear with it even cranked up. Very happy with it as a smoker though (Daniel Boone size).

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

I started out with a lot of negatives when I first got mine and that was almost 5 years ago.

1. Uneven temps
2. Temps not accurate
3. WiFi app issues.

From then until now. GMG has made a lot of positive changes.

1.Sliding fire box to help even temps
2. I put two oven thermometers to help adjust this. (WiFi has a calibration mode)
3. I like the sliding drip trays. It allows for better searing. It did a great job on my prime rib on Christmas.

Capture1.JPG

WiFi is awesome to use. My issue was I just needed to different router set up. Once I got that done, I haven't had any issues. Since the other changes, I have not had any major issues. Just got to make sure to clean the fire box out more often and I opened up the chimney more.

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 1

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I started out with a lot of negatives when I first got mine and that was almost 5 years ago.

1. Uneven temps
2. Temps not accurate
3. WiFi app issues.

From then until now. GMG has made a lot of positive changes.

1.Sliding fire box to help even temps
2. I put two oven thermometers to help adjust this. (WiFi has a calibration mode)
3. I like the sliding drip trays. It allows for better searing. It did a great job on my prime rib on Christmas.

View attachment 69625

WiFi is awesome to use. My issue was I just needed to different router set up. Once I got that done, I haven't had any issues. Since the other changes, I have not had any major issues. Just got to make sure to clean the fire box out more often and I opened up the chimney more.
That prime rib looks amazing!

Jan 28, 2020
Just bought a Camp Chef Woodwind pellet with WiFi. I went crazy and got the sear box option as well, I'm excited to use it for the first time this weekend.

I have had one of these for a couple of years now. I do a lot of bbq. I also do burgers and steak on it. I start burgers and steaks on the smoker at 225 for about 30 mins or so and then finish on the sear box. It takes longer but this reverse sear is great and leaves things juicy even when the wife and kids insist on well done.

Get the jerky shelves as it increases your capacity and I use it to cook bacon above the steaks, burgers or chicken. It gives a great flavor.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I have had one of these for a couple of years now. I do a lot of bbq. I also do burgers and steak on it. I start burgers and steaks on the smoker at 225 for about 30 mins or so and then finish on the sear box. It takes longer but this reverse sear is great and leaves things juicy even when the wife and kids insist on well done.

Get the jerky shelves as it increases your capacity and I use it to cook bacon above the steaks, burgers or chicken. It gives a great flavor.

You need a new wife and kids if they insist on meat well done. ;)

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I may be in the market for a smoker and was about ready to pull the trigger on Rec Tec pellet smoker. Then I started reading about a new Masterbuilt 560 that everyone is raving about. I always assumed that pellet would have better flavor than charcoal. Was I wrong all along?

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I may be in the market for a smoker and was about ready to pull the trigger on Rec Tec pellet smoker. Then I started reading about a new Masterbuilt 560 that everyone is raving about. I always assumed that pellet would have better flavor than charcoal. Was I wrong all along?

I've never heard that. The Pelletheads out there try to claim it will taste almost as good, but I've never heard it's supposed to be better.

Easier, for sure. I don't have a pellet pooper, but I would like one eventually.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron