Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Did my first rack of ribs last night.

Turned out pretty well since I basically said F-It to all the methods you see online.

Removed ribs from package, patted dry, coated in Traeger spice rub, placed directly in Traeger at 225. I got impatient after 3 hours and bumped it to 250 for an hour and then 275 for the last 0.5 hours. Threw a little bit of sauce on for the last 30 minutes. No spritz, no foil, no nothing.

Nice color, good flavor, juicy, and firm meat. Granted, I do also like a dry rib versus wet ribs.

Now I have to figure out what to do with the rest of the ribs since a Costco 3 pack is a little much for one person.

You'll score points with your coworkers if you take them some. ;)

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
What's everyone got dialed up for Labor Day Weekend? My parents and a couple friends are visiting, so I've got a full menu. Figuring on getting up early and smoking up some wings for the Iowa game Saturday, followed by carnitas tacos for dinner; Sunday, we're golfing, and then I'm smoking a prime rib dinner when we get back; then we're golfing again on Monday and I'm smoking some spare ribs for dinner.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
What's everyone got dialed up for Labor Day Weekend? My parents and a couple friends are visiting, so I've got a full menu. Figuring on getting up early and smoking up some wings for the Iowa game Saturday, followed by carnitas tacos for dinner; Sunday, we're golfing, and then I'm smoking a prime rib dinner when we get back; then we're golfing again on Monday and I'm smoking some spare ribs for dinner.
The Iowa game isn't on Labor Day weekend

• Haha
Reactions: 2020cy

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

Did a brisket this past Saturday so probably going with apple honey chicken breasts and a tri-tip (kids love it as steak and then we use leftovers for tacos).

Reactions: tm3308 and BCClone

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm really thinking about "smoked shot gun shells."
maxresdefault.jpg

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I'm really thinking about "smoked shot gun shells."
maxresdefault.jpg
That recipe definitely looked interesting. I really want to get more into quote unquote tailgate food. I've got the big cuts of meat down pat, but when it comes to more snack-size food, I need more in my quiver than my various wing recipes.

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
Pulled pork sliders for University of Northern Colorado tailgate on Saturday. The UNC games are just to fill the void in my soul because I can't go to ISU tailgates very often

Reactions: tm3308

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
This weekend I'm doing a pork shoulder with a pecan rub that I've never tried before. Thought I would do a turkey breast also.
I really wish I could get my hands on a turkey breast. I'd love to smoke one or two for sandwiches, but I can never find one at the grocery stores around where I live. The Waukee Hy-Vee sold sliced turkey breast from the Des Moines Bacon Co. when I worked there, and that **** was insanely good.

Blackhawk6515

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 21, 2008
I really wish I could get my hands on a turkey breast. I'd love to smoke one or two for sandwiches, but I can never find one at the grocery stores around where I live. The Waukee Hy-Vee sold sliced turkey breast from the Des Moines Bacon Co. when I worked there, and that **** was insanely good.
I found mine at the Urbandale Hy-Vee a couple of months ago. Got 4, they were on sale. Haven't seen them since.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron