Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

cjclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 22, 2006
One thing I never see mentioned is the natural tenderness of a piece of meat, especially beef. I have been doing DNA testing on my herd and I always save one that is in the very tender category for me to eat. Cooking time is greatly decreased as far as tenderness goes on any piece of meat. I smoke a chuck roast to medium rare and slice it. Just like most steaks that way. It is a slow process improving the herd, but I think it is going to pay off in the long run. I can cut steaks with a fork if I get to over 70% tenderness. Don't have many of those yet, but working on it. I think this is why people have a lot of variation in results with brisket. In competition it could be the difference between losing and winning. My son's Mangalitzas have much thinner ribs and more fat. Cooked side by side with ribs from the store, they didn't take as long to cook, and tasted better according to them of course.

Reactions: NWICY

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
That's my question too! Prague Powder? :jimlad:
I usually get a good smoke ring when I put a pan of water on the smoker with my brisket. I don’t add anything else just 50/50 S&P. I also just have the temp at 150 for an hour just to get more smoke into it.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I usually get a good smoke ring when I put a pan of water on the smoker with my brisket. I don’t add anything else just 50/50 S&P. I also just have the temp at 150 for an hour just to get more smoke into it.
But are you using an electric smoker?

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Brisket in an MES, 260° wrapped in foil at 170°. This is the point. Sliced thicked and chunked it. Mesquite. Put in cooler at 201°..

View attachment 101991
It was smokey. Very. fresh mesqiite. The ring is fake. 1 tsp pink cure in a 1/2 quart of water. Dont use any more cure or any less water. Pour over the meat with the
cure brine dont soak let it all run off. Then whatever seasoning you want and set overnight. I always do that with brisket. Just for looks. Cant taste the cure. Wasnt trying to claim a smoke ring. Its a cure ring. I believe a teaspoon (if it all soaked in and it cant if you just pour it over the brisket) is about 1/3 the cure amount of bacon. 1 tsp per 5 pounds of meat IIRC.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and tm3308

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I recently bought a ton of rubs from Meat Church and I've had the chance to try a few of them out. I've used Holy Cow on a couple of very thick ribeyes, which I cooked in the sous vide because I'm low on charcoal and the meat left me broke for a couple weeks (I stand by my priorities on that one), and it's very good. I've also used three of his four gourmet seasonings with outstanding results. The garlic and herb rub is great on potatoes, and the lemon pepper was good on asparagus. But the real winner is his seasoned salt; it makes the absolute best caramelized onions I've ever had. IMG_3971.jpg

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I recently bought a ton of rubs from Meat Church and I've had the chance to try a few of them out. I've used Holy Cow on a couple of very thick ribeyes, which I cooked in the sous vide because I'm low on charcoal and the meat left me broke for a couple weeks (I stand by my priorities on that one), and it's very good. I've also used three of his four gourmet seasonings with outstanding results. The garlic and herb rub is great on potatoes, and the lemon pepper was good on asparagus. But the real winner is his seasoned salt; it makes the absolute best caramelized onions I've ever had. View attachment 102040
Sous vide can deliver some delicious stuff. I'll bet you didn't even need a knife with that ribeye. Did you reverse sear in a skillet?

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Sous vide can deliver some delicious stuff. I'll bet you didn't even need a knife with that ribeye. Did you reverse sear in a skillet?
Of course. Butter and a couple tablespoons or so of olive oil. The steak was about 2" or so thick, so I gave it about two minutes per side to get a really good crust (the one I cooked tonight had a better crust than the one pictured). Sous vide isn't how I normally cook this time of year, but it's a staple in my cooking during the winter months when I'm not grilling/smoking as frequently (but I don't stop altogether, midwest winter be damned). It's outstanding for cooking chicken breast for meal prep. Just toss in a big vacuum sealed bag with like five breasts and let it go for a couple hours.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and Gonzo

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I only use sous vide like two times a year but every time I've tried it the results have been great. One exception, I tried lobster and it turned out tough but that may have been the lobster.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I only use sous vide like two times a year but every time I've tried it the results have been great. One exception, I tried lobster and it turned out tough but that may have been the lobster.
Sometimes it's a hassle having to wait 2+ hours, but it produces the juiciest chicken breasts I've ever had (enough so that even when I nuke the leftovers, they're still not dried out). I would use it even more, but the only pot I have that is deep enough for it is way deeper than it needs to be, so it takes a shitload of water that I hate wasting.

Reactions: cstrunk

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Sometimes it's a hassle having to wait 2+ hours, but it produces the juiciest chicken breasts I've ever had (enough so that even when I nuke the leftovers, they're still not dried out). I would use it even more, but the only pot I have that is deep enough for it is way deeper than it needs to be, so it takes a shitload of water that I hate wasting.
You can even safely eat chicken breast at 145 degrees if you sous vide long enough. The texture is wild and it makes for good reheating.

Reactions: tm3308

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Saw an interesting smoker on Michael Symon's BBQ show today. A Missouri team won the Memphis in May competition with this huge barrel smoker. They apparently smoked a whole hog of over 200lbs in just 9 hours. Beat out some really good former world champions like Myron Mixon and Melissa Cookston in the process too. Instead of low and slow process its a hot and fast smoker so was interesting to see how someone did something completely opposite of what most do with whole hog and best out some tough competition.

Wowsers that's a hell of smoker. Had a family friend that pit cooked them that was fun. That skin on that hog looks so tasty.

Reactions: CYdTracked

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I want to do a deep clean on my Pit Boss next weekend. All of the cooking grates, the shield over the flame pit where you can adjust the amount of open flame, and just as much of the interior as I can.

Anyone done this? Looking for tips on products and approaches, etc.

Power washer and what ever grease remover you spray on when you clean equipment.

Reactions: Al_4_State

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron