Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Did a couple racks of baby backs yesterday. $2.99/lb sale at Fareway. Did a dry brine with salt overnight. Washed, pat dry, added a little a tad more salt, a little pepper and a light coating of my BBQ rub. Rub has pepper in it but no salt in it. Put them on for an hour at 150, just to get the smoke into them. Then around 190 for two hours. Pulled them off and added butter and brown sugar (bone side up) and foiled each then back on the smoker for 2 hours at 225. I pulled them off and poured the liquid into a bowl and set in it in the freezer. Put the ribs back on for another 1.5 hours at around 245 temp. Ribs turned out perfect!! Did not sauce at all and just S&P and a light coat of rub.

The liquid had jelled and the fat/butter solified on the top so I discared that and the jelled liquid I warmed back up and put back on the ribs. I did taste the jelled liquid and it would almost pass for doing a BBQ jello shot. Pretty good stuff. Probably some of the best ribs I've ever made!!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Did a couple racks of baby backs yesterday. $2.99/lb sale at Fareway. Did a dry brine with salt overnight. Washed, pat dry, added a little a tad more salt, a little pepper and a light coating of my BBQ rub. Rub has pepper in it but no salt in it. Put them on for an hour at 150, just to get the smoke into them. Then around 190 for two hours. Pulled them off and added butter and brown sugar (bone side up) and foiled each then back on the smoker for 2 hours at 225. I pulled them off and poured the liquid into a bowl and set in it in the freezer. Put the ribs back on for another 1.5 hours at around 245 temp. Ribs turned out perfect!! Did not sauce at all and just S&P and a light coat of rub.

The liquid had jelled and the fat/butter solified on the top so I discared that and the jelled liquid I warmed back up and put back on the ribs. I did taste the jelled liquid and it would almost pass for doing a BBQ jello shot. Pretty good stuff. Probably some of the best ribs I've ever made!!
Did much moisture come out from the salt brine? I did a rub that had some koshar salt once on ribs, ran to the store to get something I was missing, and when I got back, I noticed juice puddling around the racks, so I shoved them into the smoker a little quicker than I was originally going to. I was concerned that it would dry them out more than I wanted.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Nice work. When you foil them, do you wrap the foil tightly to the ribs or do you close the ends and leave it a little looser around the rack?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Did much moisture come out from the salt brine? I did a rub that had some koshar salt once on ribs, ran to the store to get something I was missing, and when I got back, I noticed juice puddling around the racks, so I shoved them into the smoker a little quicker than I was originally going to. I was concerned that it would dry them out more than I wanted.

Remember that ribs are only around 2" max in thickness. You don't need to put a lot on them as compared to a brisket or pork shouldler. I've never gotten any liquid in the pan after a 12-18 hour brine.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Salt will initially pull moisture out and then eventually it will be pulled back in.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Remember that ribs are only around 2" max in thickness. You don't need to put a lot on them as compared to a brisket or pork shouldler. I've never gotten any liquid in the pan after a 12-18 hour brine.
I have only overnighted anything, once or twice, didn't seem to change it much for me so I went with the easier route. I always do an olive oil rub followed by a brown sugar rub, and then whatever seasoning I want on it.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I have only overnighted anything, once or twice, didn't seem to change it much for me so I went with the easier route. I always do an olive oil rub followed by a brown sugar rub, and then whatever seasoning I want on it.

I did a dry brine on my last brisket and it was a game changer.

Reactions: BCClone

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
My wife bought me an Oklahoma Joe's offset smoker this summer. Smoked a whole brisket (18#) this weekend, followed a recipe that smoked to 203 rested for 30 minutes and the cut the point off and cubed with bbq sauce and smoked for 2 hours. The point did not cut in cubes so I ended up with shredded beef (it was very popular). Looked at burnt end recipes this morning one cut the point off before starting and cubed at 190 and the other did whole brisket to 190 before removing point and making burnt ends. What do others find work best for burnt ends?

Not surprising. Just remember 200+ (I smoke butts to 206) is going to be shredding/pulling territory. YMMV

If you want to slice (anything) you probably should take it off by 190-195F. Brisket (flat) is fine for slicing if you take it off ~200 and wrap in towels, let it rest for as long as you can ... 30 minutes minimum, a couple hours even better.

Last edited:

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Did almost exactly that. Wrapped them a little cooler though. I wasn’t gonna be around when they hit the 160 threshold.

View attachment 101928 View attachment 101929

160 is kind of a general guideline. Every piece of meat is different. It's a guess at what temp the meat will "stall" and start rendering the fat -- which means it will take heat but not go up in IT for some time. Wrapping helps it blow through that stage quicker. Some roasts will hit this at 156-158, so you just need to be ready to call it and go...depending upon your patience and time tolerance.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I did a 50/50 kosher salt ad coarse pepper rub. I applied the rub the evening before so call it around 10-12 hours.
Did you then just throw the brisket on, or did you rinse, dry and reapply anything? All I've ever used on brisket is 50/50 salt/pepper, but I've never dry brined it overnight. I usually apply an hour or so before putting onto the smoker.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I did a dry brine on my last brisket and it was a game changer.
What did you use and how long? Guessing overnight in a fridge.

I am a little weird with brisket, I like the flat more than the point. I like the meaty part and the smoke flavor seems to drive through the flat better for me. I also use a cheap smoker but for the amount I do, it is something different and fun.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Did you then just throw the brisket on, or did you rinse, dry and reapply anything? All I've ever used on brisket is 50/50 salt/pepper, but I've never dry brined it overnight. I usually apply an hour or so before putting onto the smoker.

Nope I just pulled it out and put it on as is. Also, when you dry brine you want to put it on cold, don't let it rest to room temp.

Reactions: Gonzo

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
What did you use and how long? Guessing overnight in a fridge.

I am a little weird with brisket, I like the flat more than the point. I like the meaty part and the smoke flavor seems to drive through the flat better for me. I also use a cheap smoker but for the amount I do, it is something different and fun.

50/50 kosher salt and coarse black pepper. I almost always separate the point and the flat for that reason. IMO the best way to eat the point is by doing burnt ends.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
50/50 kosher salt and coarse black pepper. I almost always separate the point and the flat for that reason. IMO the best way to eat the point is by doing burnt ends.
I separate them too. I will put the flat on a rack below the point and have the point fat side up. (I just remember I forgot to score the fat on the last one I did, probably why it didn't turn out like I wanted). The fat will melt and drip on the point and flat underneath. I avoid trimming if I can and what I do trim is very little. I usually am fighting a few fires due to this but I think it really adds flavor.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Nope I just pulled it out and put it on as is. Also, when you dry brine you want to put it on cold, don't let it rest to room temp.
I dry brined a turkey last year for Thanksgiving, first time I'd done it, always had wet brined before, turned out amazing.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I separate them too. I will put the flat on a rack below the point and have the point fat side up. (I just remember I forgot to score the fat on the last one I did, probably why it didn't turn out like I wanted). The fat will melt and drip on the point and flat underneath. I avoid trimming if I can and what I do trim is very little. I usually am fighting a few fires due to this but I think it really adds flavor.

I may have mentioned, but separating the point from the flat is a lot easier when if the brisket is partially frozen.

• Informative

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron