Smoking a Pork Belly

CubsClones1

Nov 12, 2012
Prairie City
On a side note, be prepared for the fallout from making homemade bacon. My family won't eat store bacon anymore since I started making a couple years ago. My favorite is a cilantro/jalepeno brine with applewood for smoking. Can never go wrong with anything maple though, don't go cheap on the syrup.

That brine sounds fantastic! Does it retain the cilantro/jalepeno flavor well after absorbing the smoke?

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I have made burnt ends several times. I like to buy a whole belly and cut it into smaller pieces, then cook maybe 1/4 of a belly the same time I make ribs, then freeze the rest. They usually get done before the ribs and makes a great appetizer. Previous poster is right, they might take years off your life. Not everyone can make a meal out of them. But make an excellent snack before dinner.
How the heck does someone give that beautiful picture a thumbs down?

• Agree
Reactions: discydisc

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
That brine sounds fantastic! Does it retain the cilantro/jalepeno flavor well after absorbing the smoke?

Jalepeno/Cilantro Bacon
Recipe for 2.5-3 lb belly
2.5 tbls salt
1.5 tbls white sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup or dark brown sugar
3 whole jalepenos
2 cloves garlic
1/4 red onion
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
3 fresh bay leaves

Mix in blender, put in bag with belly and flip every day for 7 days. I use a vac sealer bag and just dont vac it down all the way. I've had bad luck with zip lock bags leaking.

• Useful
Reactions: CubsClones1

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Not smoking, but cube it up and toss in boiling oil

vAkd660l.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: iahawks

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Jalepeno/Cilantro Bacon
Recipe for 2.5-3 lb belly
2.5 tbls salt
1.5 tbls white sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup or dark brown sugar
3 whole jalepenos
2 cloves garlic
1/4 red onion
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
3 fresh bay leaves

Mix in blender, put in bag with belly and flip every day for 7 days. I use a vac sealer bag and just dont vac it down all the way. I've had bad luck with zip lock bags leaking.

You leave the seeds in the jalepenos?

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
I had to laugh when I saw the title of this thread because of an episode of the Beverly Hillbillies where a group of hippies can't wait for Granny to "smoke some crawdads"

wgleason

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
Des Moines Bacon company has really good lean pork bellys. Best ones I've used for Pork burnt ends. They're amazing.

wgleason

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
Where do you buy those at?

I used to get em at Farmer Market, he was there the first Saturday of each month, I have not been this year yet so don't know if he's still there. It was between Royal Mile & Fong's. I would call to make sure he brought a couple. HyVee carries there stuff but usually not bellies. He'll bring stuff to any HyVee if you call them.

Reactions: JP4CY

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Yes, but the amount depends on exact size of belly so I don't have it officially listed in my recipe. Off the top of memory I believe it's 1 tsp per 5lbs

No I remove the seeds and stems.....

Was wondering about that since you said there wasn't heat transfer to the bacon.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron