Smoking Meat Questions and Discussion

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
My cheap gas grill literally falling apart, so I am looking for a replacement. Neighbor suggested I go pellet but I worry about that since it will be outside full-time. The electronics and moisture don’t mix well in my opinion. That correct thinking? For a gas replacement was leaning a Napoleon. Anyone have one?
My pellet grill is outside all the time. I would recommend getting a decent cover at least. Keeping the pellets dry is more important. I use a 5 gallon bucket with a water-tight lid for pellet storage.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
My cheap gas grill literally falling apart, so I am looking for a replacement. Neighbor suggested I go pellet but I worry about that since it will be outside full-time. The electronics and moisture don’t mix well in my opinion. That correct thinking? For a gas replacement was leaning a Napoleon. Anyone have one?

My GMG has sat outside since I got it eight years ago. I have also have the cover for it and the thermal blanket.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
My pellet grill is outside all the time. I would recommend getting a decent cover at least. Keeping the pellets dry is more important. I use a 5 gallon bucket with a water-tight lid for pellet storage.

I have the Green Mountain Cover for my GMG Daniel Boone. Keep the cover on it when not in use. No issues. Heavy duty cover shields it from the elements. And over 10 years old. Love it.

Reactions: cycloner29

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Most people I know keep their pellet grills outside. The bigger issue is keeping the pellets dry, as if they get wet they will swell and turn into concrete in your auger.

One consideration is what type of grilling you would like to do. Pellet grills are great for low and slow, but aren't usually ideal for hot and fast - i.e. searing. Absolutely not necessary, but quite a few people keep both a pellet grill and a gasser for this reason.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Most people I know keep their pellet grills outside. The bigger issue is keeping the pellets dry, as if they get wet they will swell and turn into concrete in your auger.

One consideration is what type of grilling you would like to do. Pellet grills are great for low and slow, but aren't usually ideal for hot and fast - i.e. searing. Absolutely not necessary, but quite a few people keep both a pellet grill and a gasser for this reason.
Agreed that pellet grills aren't quite as good for searing compared to a gas/charcoal, but it will still be decent. A reverse seared steak is still pretty dang good on the pellet grill.

Reactions: 5Cy

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I use bottom rounds for jerky.
Bottom round/eye of round. I will go to Walmart and they have the yellow tag for quick sale on some cuts of meat. Got 5lbs of eye of round for like $12. Can't got wrong.

I just buy the marinates of the shelf and will add about a 1/4 cup of water or whatever it takes to clean the inside of the bottle out. I also add about 1/4 tsp of prague powder (pink curing salt) per pound of meat. I will partically freeze the meat so it is easier to cut, and trim off all the fat that I can. I cut slices around 1/4" thick. The jerky is softer when it is done and not like you are ripping apart shoe leather the thicker you cut it. I will vac seal 2 lbs at a time and will let it marinate for at least 24 hours and will try and flip it over ever 6+ hours if I remember. Seems anything less than 12 hours to marinate doesn't get through the meat, especially if you throw the slices and marinate into a bag as big clump in the bag.

I will smoke at 150 and usually around 4-6 hours to complete. I will let it cool and vac seal. The reason for the curing salt is some fo the slices will have a little fat on them and if you don't use it, and don't vac seal, it will start to mold after a couple of weeks.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Well, the Bears may not have been playing yesterday, but I still went all out. Gave the vortex a spin for the first time; I didn't get the desired crispiness, but to be fair, all four types of wings were either sauced, marinated, or seasoned with wet rub (or some combination) and I overcrowded the grate a little in order to get 82 wings cooked in two batches. I'll be trying again soon with a smaller batch to see how it compares, and maybe split that batch between my buffalo or lemon pepper wings and a dry rub wing recipe. Everything still tasted great, though, including the BBQ nachos. IMG_5829.jpg IMG_5832.jpg

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I just moved and now that I have a garage I can park vehicles in, I was planning on leaving the grill outside.

Does anyone have issues with humidity gumming up the inside of the auger? It happened to a buddy of mine last summer, but he hardly ever vacuums the pellets out

5Cy

Jun 26, 2015
I just moved and now that I have a garage I can park vehicles in, I was planning on leaving the grill outside.

Does anyone have issues with humidity gumming up the inside of the auger? It happened to a buddy of mine last summer, but he hardly ever vacuums the pellets out
I keep my Traeger on my patio year round and have had no issues. I just make sure I keep it covered and clean it out on a regular basis.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle

Mine just sat covered for about 3-4 months between uses through a PNW winter. So 45 and 100% humidity all the time. No issues with Traeger pellets gumming up in the auger. I'd think if you were really worried, keep it clean and maybe fire it up for a quick heat cycle (ie run it up 450 or so and then just shut it down) every now and then.

The mold/fungus growth I ended up with on the grill grate and drip pan however, well that wasn't something I was expecting. Pretty sure I had penicillin growing in there. It was a little weird because my Weber had been idle for about the same length of time and didn't have anything. Must just be the cooking temperature difference.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Mine just sat covered for about 3-4 months between uses through a PNW winter. So 45 and 100% humidity all the time. No issues with Traeger pellets gumming up in the auger. I'd think if you were really worried, keep it clean and maybe fire it up for a quick heat cycle (ie run it up 450 or so and then just shut it down) every now and then.

The mold/fungus growth I ended up with on the grill grate and drip pan however, well that wasn't something I was expecting. Pretty sure I had penicillin growing in there. It was a little weird because my Weber had been idle for about the same length of time and didn't have anything. Must just be the cooking temperature difference.
Yeesh, I didn't even know the mold was a thing...searched Google and there's some nightmare photos out there. More incentive to use mine more I guess.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

I had an issue where whenever I opened the hopper door on my GMG, I would get a lot of smoke coming up through the hopper. Turns out I had some air leaks between the hopper and auger assembly. The gasket wasn’t doing its job.

What was happening was the air leaks was causing air to be being sucked through the auger tube and the heat was causing the pellets to get so hot in the auger it was producing tar and the auger had a black coating on it. The auger was grinding so hard I thought it would break the shear pin.

Gasket seal did the trick though. Cleaned up the auger first and everything runs great again!

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Yeesh, I didn't even know the mold was a thing...searched Google and there's some nightmare photos out there. More incentive to use mine more I guess.
Oh yeah. Mine was full science experiment. After washing the grate and changing the drip liner I cranked it all the way up and let it just roast for 30 minutes.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Had some time to "spare" yesterday. S&P, light BBQ rub onto the smoker and spritzed with apple juice every 30 minutes. Start at 190 for the first couple of hours then 225 the rest. Bone side down for 2 hours, and bone side up for 2.5 hours and finished bone side down for hour. I've never had much luck with spares, but getting the hang of it finally. Pulled at 195 IT. These were very tender and were not dry!

smoker1.jpg
smoker2.jpg

smoker3.jpg

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Just put my first spatchcock chicken on the grill. Spread a small amount of olive oil and then sprinkled seasoning. Internet says 45 minutes at 425 but that is pan roasting in an oven. Sound about right on a smoker grill? Also says to place breast up and nothing about flipping over at some point. Should I flip once? Pollo Tropical down South is a favorite franchise fast food type place is where I have had grilled spatchcock chicken. They have a large grill behind a glass wall that you can watch them grilling the chicken and they do flip the birds to get the grill marks.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Just put my first spatchcock chicken on the grill. Spread a small amount of olive oil and then sprinkled seasoning. Internet says 45 minutes at 425 but that is pan roasting in an oven. Sound about right on a smoker grill? Also says to place breast up and nothing about flipping over at some point. Should I flip once? Pollo Tropical down South is a favorite franchise fast food type place is where I have had grilled spatchcock chicken. They have a large grill behind a glass wall that you can watch them grilling the chicken and they do flip the birds to get the grill marks.
I would flip it for sure. First you said grill, then you referred to smoker grill, so depending what you have, you may not need to flip. I started doing spatchcock chicken on my smoker grill l, which is Daniel Boone GMG, I have a second rack that is about 6” higher from the original grill grates, so I really don’t worry about flare ups. I just prefer to flip to get rid of as much fat as possible. I usually will go low and slow and the last 30 minutes or so turn it to around 450 to try and crisp the skin. Post some pics of the finished product.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron