Smart Garage Door Opener Advice

lavernefg

Sep 25, 2021
I've seen some IOT garage door opener devices that can be added to existing openers that can be controlled/monitored via a phone app. Do any of you have these? If so, do you have recommendations for type/brands/etc? I don't want to change the actual openers that I have, but would simply like an add-on if they exist. TIA
I am also looking for the suggestion

Last edited:

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
why Would anyone need to open their garage with their cell phone? Seems unnecessary.

I have the MyQ stuff and I love it for verifying my garage door is shut, setting routines to shut at 10pm every night, and reminding me if the garage door is open for more than 1 hour.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I have the MyQ stuff and I love it for verifying my garage door is shut, setting routines to shut at 10pm every night, and reminding me if the garage door is open for more than 1 hour.

I was just going to post the same thing. I rarely use the app to open and close my door but I use it to verify that I did close the door and I have it programmed to close at 9:00 every night.

I also added the app to my parents and in-laws phones so they would quit asking me for the damn garage door code.

Reactions: wxman1 and CapnCy

cyadict

Aug 4, 2006
Ankeny
If you're in the market for a new opener, make sure to get one with battery backup. It sounds stupid until you're trying to get back into your garage when the power is out.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Also have the myQ opener. Very easy to install, just make sure you have sufficient Wi-Fi coverage in your garage. It’s nice if you leave the house without your car and don’t want to carry keys or a garage opener. Also cheaper than installing a pin pad on the front door.
Agree 100%. I had the one you had to install (and helped a friend install one) and very easy, step by step installation. I got it on sale for about $20 and LOVED it. Mainly, a SUPER easy way to have piece of mind about "did i leave the door open?" or stuff like that. I also love the piece of mind that i can't get "locked out" and never need to carry keys, etc.

I moved and the house had the built in on the openers (same MyQ interface) and love it even more (because sometimes the add one needed reset or the "garage up/down" sensor got off.

I have used these if a friend/neighbor needed in to grab something or put a delivery in that came off schedule.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
why Would anyone need to open their garage with their cell phone? Seems unnecessary.

I can...but never do. I do like the ability to check my phone to make sure my door is closed when I am away from home. Don't use it often but it cost me $20 to buy a myQ smart device and Amazon gave me $40 credit for doing so. Nothing to lose for me and 6+ months later I still have it hooked up.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Alternative idea: When our daughter started going to and from school, we got a Shlage keyless entry for our front door. I use it 50X more than our garage door keypad or myQ. You can have multiple codes (for friends or contractors) and they can be deleted easily. Since it's battery operated, it still works during a power outage (our garage door does too, but it is suuuuper slow and doesn't act like it's gonna work more than once or twice).

I like not putting the extra wear on my garage door/torsion spring, and I don't mess around with a front door key any more. Plus, it auto locks after 30 seconds if someone forgets to lock it coming or going.

I have a keyless entry (nest brand) and LOVE IT. SO nice to be able to tell if its locked/unlocked, friends/family can let themselves in if they get there before we get home, etc. And the autolock is a gamechanger for my own late night "worry" of did i leave it unlocked? (same with garage, love i can just check on my app)

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Donqluione

Feb 5, 2017
Alternative idea: When our daughter started going to and from school, we got a Shlage keyless entry for our front door. I use it 50X more than our garage door keypad or myQ. You can have multiple codes (for friends or contractors) and they can be deleted easily. Since it's battery operated, it still works during a power outage (our garage door does too, but it is suuuuper slow and doesn't act like it's gonna work more than once or twice).

I like not putting the extra wear on my garage door/torsion spring, and I don't mess around with a front door key any more. Plus, it auto locks after 30 seconds if someone forgets to lock it coming or going.
We have this and recommend it for all of the same reasons. Took down the garage door keypad so relatives HAVE to go through the entry door instead of running the garage door up because, well, they parked in the driveway and 30 feet was just too far to walk outside to the door, instead of through the garage. The new ones are smart, operate via app if you want, without having to connect with other smart home devices if you don't want to, or if you do want it to be part of the network that can be done as well. Codes can easily be provided for family members or whoever, permanent or temporary, and it does lock itself if you forget. Not very expensive. What's not to like.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Open garage and start truck while I’m drinking my coffee in the morning so it’s toasty warm when I get in.
I always like to back the car out of the garage instead of leaving it running while It’s in the garage with the garage open.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Is there an app to prevent your HS daughter from backing out without opening the door? Cuz that’d be great.