Sleep Question

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
So……..they either read, chopped wood, or had sex between sleeps. I know which one the men suggested.

It's sciencealert. They have no idea what they did last week let alone what "humans" did a long time ago.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
I'm a "asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow type of guy". Some of Colorado's finest an our or two before bed to wind down and I'm out until someone shakes me awake in the morning. Always been a super deep sleeper and an incredibly vivid dreamer.

EDIT: I should also add that my therapist suggested getting evaluated for ADHD if it's affecting my work or personal life...it hasn't to this point. My brain is CONSTANTLY active and it feels like I'm often thinking about 5 things at once. So there's a real chance that once my head hits the pillow, my brain is exhausted.

Last edited:

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Read once that the liver is responsible for waking us up...sends out a hormone alert when it's done detoxifying the blood.

Since then, I have noted a clear correlation between alcohol consumption in the evening (even just a class of cab' with dinner) and wakefulness when the liver says, "Hey! You! Alkie! Yer killin' me, so boing!" (yeah, livers can be so judgy)

Also makes sense since my mom used to take a lot of steroids (ie prednisone) for her asthma, and she said she often slept only every other night.

You might try an evening or two sans chemicals if you are a consumer, and see if it helps.

chiroclone88

Nov 14, 2006
I'm not a robot
I am a terrible sleeper apparently, I would say 98% of the time I wake up at some point during the night for 10 minutes to an hour.

I had assumed this was normal my whole life. But last night I asked my wife if she woke up every night, and she said no, and most of the time she sleeps until her alarm goes off. This was literally flabbergasting to me.

Is this true for most people here, that you sleep all the way through the night without waking up at some point?
It's probably because you're worried that you forgot to pick up your kids :)

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
5d26342b-600e-4c60-94f9-77acfbbcf515_text.gif

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I tend to fall asleep right away, wake up around 2-3 a.m., then toss and turn.

Then I fall into a deep sleep right in the sweet spot of comfort for the hour before my alarm goes off.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I can't remember the last time I slept through the night. I don't stay awake for long though when I do wake up.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I am a terrible sleeper apparently, I would say 98% of the time I wake up at some point during the night for 10 minutes to an hour.

I had assumed this was normal my whole life. But last night I asked my wife if she woke up every night, and she said no, and most of the time she sleeps until her alarm goes off. This was literally flabbergasting to me.

Is this true for most people here, that you sleep all the way through the night without waking up at some point?

Totally hit and miss. Since I retired I don't have any problem getting to sleep (no work stress now) but after that it can be all over the place. Some nights I sleep straight through. Other nights, like last night, I wake up in the middle of the night and have some trouble getting back to sleep. Seems no rhyme or reason or any pattern to it.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Usually only a problem if I fall asleep on the couch with the TV on, then get woken up around 2-3 am.

Once I get into bed, it's lights out until morning.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
It's sciencealert. They have no idea what they did last week let alone what "humans" did a long time ago.
Actually, I read about that topic years ago. Pretty sure it wasn't in sciencealert.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
My answer depends. Is it a weekend where I can theoretically sleep in as late as I want? In that case, I'm up through the night and up for good at 4:00 AM.

• Sad
Reactions: CyCoug

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Not without melatonin or ZzQuil. I’ll get 3-4 hours then wake up and never get back to sleep if I don’t take something. I get tired, I just never flip the switch to fall back asleep.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
I tend to fall asleep right away, wake up around 2-3 a.m., then toss and turn.

Then I fall into a deep sleep right in the sweet spot of comfort for the hour before my alarm goes off.
I'm similar though I don't always get to fall back to sleep. Usually if I wake up completely, like this morning when my dog needed outside at 1:50, I laid down and tossed and turned to around 3 or 4, then gave up.

I got around 4 hours regularly, 5 hours often, 6 hours a decent amount, but after that, not so much

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
When I get fatter I wake up more.

It's usually associated with dreams like having my helmet break on a space walk or a cave in or being underwater.

My dreams incorporate my lack of air. It's good times!
My dreams often incorporate my need to urinate. I'm dreaming I'm at a familiar place, such as where I used to work. Then I'm looking for a rest room and they're either not where the were before, or there are none on that particular floor, or they are all out of order or all ocupado.

I eventually wake up and off to the toidee.

• Haha
Reactions: snowcraig2.0

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
I think I'm an outlier but I generally sleep like the dead. I fall asleep quickly, sleep through the night, and usually naturally wake up before my alarm (sometimes a bit too early). That being said, my lifestyle is pretty conducive to great sleep (no kids, try to be pretty active, strong routine) and I try to maintain habits that promote good sleep.
We're all jealous. Haha.

To answer the OP, I don't sleep through the night. I find I can only sleep about the first 4 to 4.5, maybe 5 if I'm lucky, hours, and then I wake up with stomach pains. It's unusual for me to fall back to sleep, but I try some nights. It's been like this for years now. Before that I could sleep like a baby in my 20s and early 30s (like Voice of Reason here), but that was before children, ever-increasing stress and demands of job / responsibility and the weight of my work, etc. bared down on me. I've sought medical and other assistance, and can't seem to get out of it, but I'll keep trying:)

Seriously though, good for you, VOR. That's awesome and keep doing what you can to keep that good routine!

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
I usually fall asleep quickly and sleep through the night if we're not woken up by a kid.

One thing I'd recommend trying is a white noise machine (nature sounds, rain, waves, etc). We started using one when we had a newborn sleeping in our room, then got one for ourselves when she moved into her own bedroom. I find that it allows me to fall asleep faster and makes me less likely to wake up to sudden noises during the night. Without it, my mind races off to work and a million other directions and I lay awake for hours.

Help Support Us

Become a patron