SIAP: Dickenson and McCullar both out for Big 12 tourney

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I’m not going to research this if true or not but I heard on the radio a few days ago that the BIG will start not having all teams make the conference tourney after the new add ins. Big12 should do the same. The conferences are getting too big. Just make a 8 team tourney or something. Of course this will eliminate the auto qualifiers
big 12 will be taking all teams to the conf tourney.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Is a potential downside to this strategy that the committee will question if those guys will actually be back for NCAA's? If I was on the committee... I would ask the question.

They absolutely should question that. I hope this costs KU Omaha.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
That is the difficult part though. If they are questionable there is a chance they could play and if they are both healthy they can be pretty good. But on the other hand if neither play they will be really bad. If one plays they will be kinda bad. IF both play but are 80% that's still not as good so what do you do as a committee when you are just speculating? Hardest non-bubble decision for the committee. Marquette could be in the same boat if Kolek isn't healthy enough to play this week.

I get maybe giving a pass to t a mid season loss or two when you are missing a key player but when it's at the end of the season all losses should be equal. There's no guarantee that KU will be anywhere close to healthy next week either. This should absolutely cost them a 3 seed IMO. Also, depth should matter too. KU has shown multiple times this year they have no depth, they shouldn't get a free pass because they have no bench. If anything they should be penalized for it.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
IMO the committee has to consider the availability of those two players as questionable and seed accordingly. They should 100% get dinged for this.
I could see a 2 seed if both were 100% healthy (still disagree with that from their resume, but I can see the argument). As it stands, I think a 3 seed is being generous, and with the combination of weakness displayed and unknown health, I think they're a 4. Any non-blueblood would be a 4 or worse with this combination, no question in my mind.

Reactions: Jnecker4cy

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I get maybe giving a pass to t a mid season loss or two when you are missing a key player but when it's at the end of the season all losses should be equal. There's no guarantee that KU will be anywhere close to healthy next week either. This should absolutely cost them a 3 seed IMO. Also, depth should matter too. KU has shown multiple times this year they have no depth, they shouldn't get a free pass because they have no bench. If anything they should be penalized for it.
Depth should not play into seeding of any team

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Not a fan of the selection committee making judgment calls on temporary injuries. Do you really want them having to discuss whether Dickenson's shoulder is a 1, 2 or 3 week injury? Or if Self is just resting them? It'd be different if he tore his ACL and was done for sure.

Punish them for their upcoming loss to a mediocre team on a neutral floor.

Kettes

Sep 18, 2022
Being a "Blue Blood," this might just be committee favoritism with regards to KU, and not all other peons. Maybe UNC and Duke could get away with this, also.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Depth should not play into seeding of any team

I don't disagree to a point but you also can't circle games and say "they were without so and so" either. It should be total body of work which includes injuries. Kansas has more issues than one or two guys being banged up.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I’m not going to research this if true or not but I heard on the radio a few days ago that the BIG will start not having all teams make the conference tourney after the new add ins. Big12 should do the same. The conferences are getting too big. Just make a 8 team tourney or something. Of course this will eliminate the auto qualifiers
It would be tough to not invite schools. What happens with the left-out schools fans who bought tickets? Is the conference going to offer refunds and resell?

The ACC, SEC and Big10 have long been 5 day tournaments. Eliminate the stupid double byes. A conference could use 2 sites and with up to 24 teams still keep at 5 day tournament.

VAISUFAN

Mar 13, 2012
Interested in what this board says versus what Kelvin Sampson does. He's won the regular season, he's guaranteed a #1 seed and South Regional no matter what. Does he play his starters many minutes in Big 12 tourney?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
As a team who has some dinged up guys... if we were to sit Lipsey and Gilbert for the big 12 tourney.. I think it should impact our NCAA seed. I think it should impact any team who sits guys. How does the committee know if they are truly healthy or not?
Yeah I think we should do the same. Sit Gilbert and lipsey.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Interested in what this board says versus what Kelvin Sampson does. He's won the regular season, he's guaranteed a #1 seed and South Regional no matter what. Does he play his starters many minutes in Big 12 tourney?
I think Houston and Sampson have been out to prove something this year. I think he is trying to win the conference tournament as well.