SIAP: Dickenson and McCullar both out for Big 12 tourney

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
Sorry folks…. these conference tournaments mean less and less every year…. just like non-playoff bowls too.

Welcome to the new world. Guys that are somewhat questionable will be skipping these tournaments like crazy…. making them virtually meaningless money grabs, just like bowls.
They have the same meaning as regular season games

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Sorry folks…. these conference tournaments mean less and less every year…. just like non-playoff bowls too.

Welcome to the new world. Guys that are somewhat questionable will be skipping these tournaments like crazy…. making them virtually meaningless money grabs, just like bowls.
Are they though? Or are we just talking about it more?

I would say conference tournaments were never a huge deal except for:
  • whoever wins it
  • underdogs that overachieve
  • the local economy

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Doing what? Not playing players that are injured?
Yes. #1 Can't assume they will be healthy for the NCAA tourney. #2 Need to send a message that Conference Tourney results matter in the seeding process or schools will treat them like bowl games.

Reactions: aauummm

ClonesFTW

Nov 13, 2013
Waukee

I could actually argue that when the conference goes to 16 teams with uneven schedules next season the tournament could have a breath of new life for teams who felt slighted with their schedule.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Probably the right move. With their current record they have played themselves out of a 1-3 seed, so might as well get healthy.

But I would be seriously surprised if 10 days is going to be enough to let their health come back 100%, especially in the case of Dickinson. I didn't see if the dislocated shoulder is his shooting arm or not, but getting bumped in the post and stretching over head can't be a good thing.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Probably the right move. With their current record they have played themselves out of a 1-3 seed, so might as well get healthy.

But I would be seriously surprised if 10 days is going to be enough to let their health come back 100%, especially in the case of Dickinson. I didn't see if the dislocated shoulder is his shooting arm or not, but getting bumped in the post and stretching over head can't be a good thing.
It is his shooting arm. I mean there is no way he is going to be 100% next week.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86 and aauummm

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
IMO the committee has to consider the availability of those two players as questionable and seed accordingly. They should 100% get dinged for this.
That is the difficult part though. If they are questionable there is a chance they could play and if they are both healthy they can be pretty good. But on the other hand if neither play they will be really bad. If one plays they will be kinda bad. IF both play but are 80% that's still not as good so what do you do as a committee when you are just speculating? Hardest non-bubble decision for the committee. Marquette could be in the same boat if Kolek isn't healthy enough to play this week.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: NENick and aauummm

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
As a team who has some dinged up guys... if we were to sit Lipsey and Gilbert for the big 12 tourney.. I think it should impact our NCAA seed. I think it should impact any team who sits guys. How does the committee know if they are truly healthy or not?

CyberJJJ

Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA

Only if we buy into that. Bowls still exist because fans still travel and TV wants games

Kettes

Sep 18, 2022
As a team, we are very tired! This should be our move too, if it wasn't for trying to ensure Omaha.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
That is the difficult part though. If they are questionable there is a chance they could play and if they are both healthy they can be pretty good. But on the other hand if neither play they will be really bad. If one plays they will be kinda bad. IF both play but are 80% that's still not as good so what do you do as a committee when you are just speculating? Hardest non-bubble decision for the committee. Marquette could be in the same boat if Kolek isn't healthy enough to play this week.
It's a tough question to answer. I don't think it has to be too punitive, but at a minimum it should put anyone who is close to them resume wise ahead of them barring the other team doesn't have similar injury concerns.

Reactions: Halincandenza

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
Just get to Omaha, preferably in the Midwest region. 20,000+ Clone fans can will this team for 2 games. Play Thursday/Saturday in Omaha and then Friday/Sunday in Detroit. Gives them 6 days rest.

The key is Omaha

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Kansas has been such a weird team. They have the best non-con wins of anyone but have been just mediocre since. have been trending down since after the February 3rd win over Houston. I don't know why the committee just expects them to be healthy when they've shown no depth and haven't been healthy in 6 weeks. Teams shouldn't be able to just get a pass for a 1/3rd of their season.

Reactions: dahliaclone

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
If the committee doesn't punish KU by dropping them a seed line or two, then that is going to shake faith in the whole conference tournaments matter argument. Bill Self is threatening the integrity of the sport. Power to him I guess, but I don't like it. If conference tournaments don't matter then why have them?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I think its different if both of these guys aren't hurt but they both have legitimate injuries right? Like Self isn't just "sitting them out."

Reactions: Bigman38

Fishhead

Oct 6, 2010

I’m not going to research this if true or not but I heard on the radio a few days ago that the BIG will start not having all teams make the conference tourney after the new add ins. Big12 should do the same. The conferences are getting too big. Just make a 8 team tourney or something. Of course this will eliminate the auto qualifiers

• Disagree
Reactions: isucy86