Should Iowa State protect "Cyclone" name?

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
Re: Should Iowa State protect "Cyclone"name?

I'm helping plan a state ladies retreat for next fall. The theme is peace making so they wanted to use the ISU vs Iowa as a back theme for the event. It also helps (for them, I'll be at the game) that the retreat is always on the ISUvsIowa game day.

I decided to ask ISU first and the trademark office went ahead and contacted and hooked me up with the Iowa office!! Both were very helpful and didn't require a whole lot. Granted, part of that is we mainly want the use for flyers and we're not making money off of it.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

I have been told ISU is very protective of its name and logos. They are very picky to who sells ISU stuff and what it is used for. Iowa on the other hand will allow just about anyone to use their name and logo and it looks like now they are trying to get control of that.

That is very accurate. I've seen things that the UofI has approved or not complained about that are actually quite offensive - Iowa State on the otherhand takes things to the opposite extreme. But again, it's just to protect their good name. Obviously the UofI doesn't have a good name to protect:jimlad:

Reactions: ketelmeister

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa

so who created the word Hawkeye???!!! Whose "word" is it really?

IMO, not the UofI's.

-keep

If anyone can show me picture of a "Hawkeye" without showing me a pic of a hawks eyeball or of a REALLY lame comic book character... I'll give you a boat load of money.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

If anyone can show me picture of a "Hawkeye" without showing me a pic of a hawks eyeball or of a REALLY lame comic book character... I'll give you a boat load of money.

inmate-thriller.jpg

Reactions: motorCYcle

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA

I can't believe you forgot this one:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Not a Clint Barton fan? What, did you like the Swordsman more, and you're offended that Hawkeye became his own man? Or did the West Coast Avengers do him in for you?

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006

That is very accurate. I've seen things that the UofI has approved or not complained about that are actually quite offensive - Iowa State on the otherhand takes things to the opposite extreme. But again, it's just to protect their good name. Obviously the UofI doesn't have a good name to protect:jimlad:

This if funny!

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
so who created the word Hawkeye???!!! Whose "word" is it really?

IMO, not the UofI's.

-keep

I am thinking James Fenimore Cooper.

Natty Bumppo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From this article:

The state of Iowa is officially known as the Hawkeye State in honor of this character.
Not a Clint Barton fan? What, did you like the Swordsman more, and you're offended that Hawkeye became his own man? Or did the West Coast Avengers do him in for you?

Hawkeye is kind of a lame character, but he fits in quite well with the Avengers.

Hawkeye.jpg

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
I don't know why everyone is making a big deal out of this. The bar and grill is attempting to make a successful place of business by using a successful University's mascot name. They are essentially making money off of the University without asking for permission from the University first. Yes there are hundreds of Iowa businesses that have Hawkeye in the name, but I would bet those businesses have permission from the University to use the name.

Someone I knew tried to create a limo business called Big 12 Limo. It was quickly identified by the Big 12 Conference, and was forced to change names. While "Big 12" could mean anything unrelated to the big 12 conference, it was in Ames, which associates it with the Big 12 Conference. Trying to start a business and make money by using another business' name makes it appear as though it is associated to it.

If Hawkeye pub and grill did something in poor taste, it could reflect poorly on the University just because of the name, color scheme, and location of the business in relation to the University.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
That's funny, I was just going to post about my limo buisness... You beat me to it...

The Big XII office was very threatening, and I switched the name fairly quickly. I think our problem was when I got a picture of me and the limo in front of Hilton on the Iowa State Daily. That made it easy for them to find a criminal like me.

Pseudonym

Apr 7, 2009
San Francisco, California
Below is the full text of a letter from Wendy K. Marsh -- a registered patent attorney with the Nyemaster Goode law firm in Des Moines -- to Dave Moore, an Iowa City bar owner looking to open an establishment called the Hawkeye Hideaway. Marsh is representing the University of Iowa.

Nyemaster Goode

Nyemaster, Goode, West, Hansell & O’Brien, P.C.
Attorneys and Counselors at Law

VIA CERTIFIED MAIL – RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED
David E. Moore
[address redacted]

Re: Hawkeye Hideaway Pub & Grill
Potential Conflict with the University fo Iowa “Hawkeyeâ€￾ Trademark

Dear Mr. Moore:

Our firm represents The University of Iowa (“Iowaâ€￾) with regard to its trademark matters. Since at least as early as 1900, our client has been using the marks “HAWKEYEâ€￾ and “HAWKEYESâ€￾ in conjunction with its various University-sponsored goods and services, including all types of wearing apparel, such as T-shirt, sweatshirts, and hats, as well as bar items such as mugs, tumblers, shot glasses, bottler openers, and bar stools. Closely associated with its famous “HAWKEYEâ€￾ marks is the constant and consistent use of Iowa’s school colors, gold and black.

Iowa has become aware that you intend to open a business establishment in Iowa City under the name “Hawkeye Hideaway Pub & Grillâ€￾. The use of this name was not authorized by our client, and is likely to cause people to believe that your business is affiliated with or sponsored by The University of Iowa, especially since we understand that your business will be located in Iowa City. To further add to the likelihood of confusion, the logo you propose to use with the business name includes Iowa’s distinctive gold and black school colors, in both the lettering and the accompanying design. This confusion is detrimental to our client’s trademark rights and creates a false affiliation between your business and The University of Iowa.

You may be under the mistaken impression that your ability to register your business name with the State of Iowa somehow protects or endorses the use of your proposed business name. This is not the case, however, as mere registration of a trade name used to identify a business is not a valid defense to infringement of a trademark that is used to identify specific goods and services. We would strongly encourage you to consult with a trademark attorney in this regard.

Iowa must therefore demand that you cease any plans to open and operate a business that impermissibly includes its long-standing trademarks, including the word “HAWKEYEâ€￾ and the gold/black color combination in your business name, signage, brochures, web site, or in any other forms of advertising. This demand also extends to the use of “HAWKEYEâ€￾ and/or the gold/black colors on items often used and sold at pubs, such as T-shirts, hats, sweatshirts, mugs, etc.

Please send us your assurances by no later than March 6, 2009 that you agree not to use either the name “HAWKEYEâ€￾ or Iowa’s gold and black color scheme in association with your business. In the absence of these assurances, Iowa will have no choice but to take the necessary steps to enforce its trademark rights.

Sincerely,

(signed)
Wendy K. Marsh

Below is the full text of the rebuttal letter from Dave Moore, an Iowa City bar owner looking to open an establishment called the Hawkeye Hideaway, to Wendy Marsh, a registered patent attorney with the Nyemaster Goode law firm in Des Moines. Marsh is representing the University of Iowa.

Dave “Hawkeyeâ€￾ Moore
[address redacted]
Iowa City, IA 52245

RE: Potential Conflict with the University of Iowa “Hawkeyeâ€￾ trademark.
Hawkeye Hideaway Pub & Grill

Dear Ms. Marsh:

Having received your letter dated February 20, 2009, I completed a few cursory investigative steps regarding your letter. One thing I discovered is that colors are not subject to trademarks per se. The use of the name and/or word Hawkeye is also in that category. Iowa is indeed the Hawkeye State.

In the Iowa City telephone directory, there are over 30 plus businesses using the name Hawkeye. Indeed, if you were to investigate the entire state of Iowa the number rises exponentially (e.g. Hawkeye Downs Speedway, Cedar Rapids, Hawkeye Community College in Waterloo, and the Burlington Hawkeye newspaper, etc.). In fact, Burlington has an older claim to the name Hawkeye than does the U of I.

As the U of I is not in the business of operating Pubs & Grills, I doubt there can be any creation of false affiliation with the U of I. Indeed, if one were to call Hawkeye Sewer and Drain and the plumber showed up in his black lettered, yellow van, I doubt anyone would assume he/she was from the U of I. Hawkeye Bail Bonds certainly would not be sent from the U of I and so forth.

Certainly of more importance is the concern the fact that the U of I endorses bar items you listed such as mugs, tumblers, shot glasses, bottle openers and bar stools. With the problem of so many PAULAS, binge drinking, alcohol induced arrests and the notorious infamy of being nationally ranked as a major “partyâ€￾ school, it is unsettling the U of I even endorses those products to students on campus let alone wants to protect such a dubious right.

The U of I recently announced six task forces that will be looking for ways to save money. I might suggest not spending their money on such frivolous letters such as this.

If and when you are in town, please feel free to stop by and see that we are not infringing nor falsely affiliating in any way with the U of I and enjoy some fish and chips.

Sincerely,

(signed)
Dave “Hawkeyeâ€￾ Moore

Benny34

Nov 29, 2007
Below is the full text of the rebuttal letter from Dave Moore, an Iowa City bar owner looking to open an establishment called the Hawkeye Hideaway, to Wendy Marsh, a registered patent attorney with the Nyemaster Goode law firm in Des Moines. Marsh is representing the University of Iowa.

Dave “Hawkeye” Moore
[address redacted]
Iowa City, IA 52245

RE: Potential Conflict with the University of Iowa “Hawkeye” trademark.
Hawkeye Hideaway Pub & Grill

Dear Ms. Marsh:

Having received your letter dated February 20, 2009, I completed a few cursory investigative steps regarding your letter. One thing I discovered is that colors are not subject to trademarks per se. The use of the name and/or word Hawkeye is also in that category. Iowa is indeed the Hawkeye State.

In the Iowa City telephone directory, there are over 30 plus businesses using the name Hawkeye. Indeed, if you were to investigate the entire state of Iowa the number rises exponentially (e.g. Hawkeye Downs Speedway, Cedar Rapids, Hawkeye Community College in Waterloo, and the Burlington Hawkeye newspaper, etc.). In fact, Burlington has an older claim to the name Hawkeye than does the U of I.

As the U of I is not in the business of operating Pubs & Grills, I doubt there can be any creation of false affiliation with the U of I. Indeed, if one were to call Hawkeye Sewer and Drain and the plumber showed up in his black lettered, yellow van, I doubt anyone would assume he/she was from the U of I. Hawkeye Bail Bonds certainly would not be sent from the U of I and so forth.

Certainly of more importance is the concern the fact that the U of I endorses bar items you listed such as mugs, tumblers, shot glasses, bottle openers and bar stools. With the problem of so many PAULAS, binge drinking, alcohol induced arrests and the notorious infamy of being nationally ranked as a major “party” school, it is unsettling the U of I even endorses those products to students on campus let alone wants to protect such a dubious right.

The U of I recently announced six task forces that will be looking for ways to save money. I might suggest not spending their money on such frivolous letters such as this.

If and when you are in town, please feel free to stop by and see that we are not infringing nor falsely affiliating in any way with the U of I and enjoy some fish and chips.

Sincerely,

(signed)
Dave “Hawkeye” Moore

You could have fooled me!:jimlad:

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
Does this mean we can now call it the University of Burlington?

Agree with the guys letter. He can add to the list the d-bag that tried to sell me a water softner at home depot (I was in the electrical isle!), Hawkeye Water Systems.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Very good reply on his part; it shows he did his research. I like the mention of licensed products and the reference to PAULAs, binge drinking and the like.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
It all depends on what you have a trademark on. It's very difficult to get a trademark on an already existing word. i.e. Hawkeye or even Cyclone as a word. In fact, our nickname was coined by the Chicago Tribune so, we effectively stole it from them. The problem lies in how it is used. And under what circumstances the official trademark exists. Black and Gold and the word Hawkeye may not be tradmarked individually, but, put together in the right combination and they could be. I think the Hawkeye Hideaway would probably be all right without the colors. They probably still are OK, but will definitely see a fight. I'm almost positive, the only way to trademark a word is to use it in conjunction with something specific, i.e. Iowa Hawkeyes or Iowa State Cyclones and most definitely when you add the schools respective marks. Or if you are in a competing field. More than likely, you couldn't start up a University and call it the University of Iowa Hawkeyes, but then, who in their right mind would want to, right? Just like you couldn't use the name, Cyclone Liqours for your liqour store, if it was already in use. It really doesn't matter that the University has been using it for over 100 years as their nickname. Hawkeye is a word, it's not a unique proper noun. It's merely a noun. I'm pretty sure that you'll find Cyclone the same way. As long as no one applies the school's logo or full name without permission, there is probably very little they could do, other than drag out a lengthy court battle.

Then again, if they can prove "intent" the University might have a valid argument. Just as if I went and started selling T-Shirts with the Word "Cyclones" on them. It may not have a trademark, but if it can be proven my intent was to represent the "Iowa State Cyclones" I don't have a right to do that.

Last edited:

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
A lot of those businesses use Iowa's colors and logo. Maybe they should rename it Cyclone bar.

cytyler

Jan 24, 2009
Ankeny
If Waukee got sued or whatever happened to them, does that mean that the same thing happened to Ankeny? Not the logo, but Ankeny's fight song is Wisconsin's fight song, followed by a very short drum segment, then the Fighting Irish's fight song.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron