Should Florida State skip the Orange Bowl?

Should Florida State skip the Orange Bowl?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I’d say no at this point. I would’ve been fine and actually supported them to have turned down the invite on Sunday after the CFP announcement. But it’s too late to back out graciously now. To not play the game without a suitable replacement screws over the ACC, which like it or not, you’re still a member of and receiving checks from.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Actually the SEC took Arkansas from the SWAC in 1991. The Big 8 then poached four Texas teams from the SWAC in 1996, which blew up the SWAC. That was the first domino.
Yeah I get that but at the time the SWC was on the serious decline because of all the scandals and NCAA violations, weren't schools at that time looking to jump ship? The ACC raiding the Big East seemed like the first blindside by one conference of an equally strong peer conference. Maybe that's just the way I remember it.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
There's the aspect that these Florida/LA teams always even have a reality of marquee Bowl game home games.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
Actually the SEC took Arkansas from the SWAC in 1991. The Big 8 then poached four Texas teams from the SWAC in 1996, which blew up the SWAC. That was the first domino.

Yeah I get that but at the time the SWC was on the serious decline because of all the scandals and NCAA violations, weren't schools at that time looking to jump ship? The ACC raiding the Big East seemed like the first blindside by one conference of an equally strong peer conference. Maybe that's just the way I remember it.

That's how I remember it, the SWC was going down anyway, and looking for someone to save them. The Big12 answered the help wanted add, which was probably a mistake.

CydeofFries

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 10, 2017
Why should they play? They should declare themselves national champs regardless. The committee already said games don't matter so why would this one?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
If FSU doesn't believe they can compete with Georgia they didn't deserve to be in the playoff.

Not at all fair. The skeleton of a team that they’d put out for the Orange bowl would be nothing like what they’d have in the playoff.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonsin

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I’d say no at this point. I would’ve been fine and actually supported them to have turned down the invite on Sunday after the CFP announcement. But it’s too late to back out graciously now. To not play the game without a suitable replacement screws over the ACC, which like it or not, you’re still a member of and receiving checks from.
Great point, that would have been the time to make that statement if they were going to do it. Doing it now just ***** a lot of things up and the fallout would not be a good look for them.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL

I'd have to think that's part of their plan too. It's been documented they haven't been happy in the ACC (or rerally, how the Big10 and SEC schools are passing them up); so this just adds more fuel to the fire.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Nothing new here. When I was a teen kid different polls or associations often had different teams as #1. Junior high me used to listen to KAAY Little Rock and the Razorbacks got "cheated" by Alabama being voted #1 by AP which was done before the bowl games. Alabama lost to Texas in their bowl and Arkansas had beaten Texas in Austin earlier. Razorbacks beat Nebraska in their bowl game, so....

The moral of the story is easy to spot (aha)
Big Red's #1 Alabama is not.
Aha,
That's right.
Sooie!

Reactions: NWICY

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Nothing new here. When I was a teen kid different polls or associations often had different teams as #1. Junior high me used to listen to KAAY Little Rock and the Razorbacks got "cheated" by Alabama being voted #1 by AP which was done before the bowl games. Alabama lost to Texas in their bowl and Arkansas had beaten Texas in Austin earlier. Razorbacks beat Nebraska in their bowl game, so....

Big Red's #1 Alabama is not.
Aha,
That's right.
Sooie!
I remember the days of seeing the AP and UPI rankings in the fine print of the CR Gazette sports section.

Reactions: NWICY

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Irresistible quip, "No, you risk losing your #1 QB for the season, then what might happen?"

Seriously, though -- gotta play it. If you say no, then any claims of a playoff snub (justifiable as it may have been) looks like whining and looks like you're trying to avoid giving committee a "told you so."

Sure, you risk losing and "remove doubt," but if you give it a shot and prevail, that's a little fodder.

• Agree
Reactions: ScottyP

Help Support Us

Become a patron