Should BBall players have to wait a year to enter the NBA draft?

Should BBall players have to wait a year (+) to enter the draft?

• No, they should be able to jump straight to the NBA

Votes: 22 30.6%
  • Yes, 1 year minimum

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Yes, 2 years minimum

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • Yes, 3 years minimum

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • Yes, 4 years minimum

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Never said it isn't better for them to have to play a year in college...just saying it should be left up to the individual and let them make their own choice. There are examples on both sides of this argument were college would have been good for some and not needed for others.

Well then there really isn't argument to be made for the NBA to change the rule back to allowing HS to enter the draft then, is there?

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
I would say LeBron is the exception, not the rule. For every LeBron, there are 10 that aren't ready, IMO. Think of guys like Kwame Brown, or Ende Ebe (however you spell that), etc.

Steve Nash went to college...graduated from Santa Clara University. LeBron was absolutely ready for the NBA right out of HS. I'd say he was one of the few where it actually made sense for him to go straight to the league.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Human rights and the freedom of choice, what a crock!

Huh? There are plenty of leagues for them to go play in, the NBA even provides them the opportunity to play basketball for a living in the NBDL. How exactly is this a violation of human rights?

tre

Mar 21, 2010
I would say LeBron is the exception, not the rule. For every LeBron, there are 10 that aren't ready, IMO. Think of guys like Kwame Brown, or Ende Ebe (however you spell that), etc.

I agree with you 100% about LeBron being the exception & most not being ready, but just because most aren't ready I don't think you should require a guy like LeBron to wait. That's why I say you go straight to the NBA from HS, or you wait three years before making the jump.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
Well then there really isn't argument to be made for the NBA to change the rule back to allowing HS to enter the draft then, is there?

You're missing my point. There are success stories for guys that jumped right to the NBA and then there are guys that were busts that had no business jumping to the NBA. But that fact the NCAA and NBA can force guys to go to college (or overseas or just sit out a year or whatever) and miss out on $$$$ is an absolute joke.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
You're missing my point. There are success stories for guys that jumped right to the NBA and then there are guys that were busts that had no business jumping to the NBA. But that fact the NCAA and NBA can force guys to go to college (or overseas or just sit out a year or whatever) and miss out on $$$$ is an absolute joke.

No, you're missing the point. This has nothing to do with the NCCA, it's an NBA rule and serves a very good purpose. It's not a right for anyone to play in the NBA, they can set an age limit, like the NFL and many other sports leagues do. It's all about improving the NBA product and there really is no argument to be made that the one and done rule is not beneficial for the league.

tre

Mar 21, 2010
No, you're missing the point. This has nothing to do with the NCCA, it's an NBA rule and serves a very good purpose. It's not a right for anyone to play in the NBA, they can set an age limit, like the NFL and many other sports leagues do. It's all about improving the NBA product and there really is no argument to be made that the one and done rule is not beneficial for the league.

Just playing devil's advocate, but was it so bad for LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, or Kevin Garnett to be in the league the year after they graduated from HS? I'd say the league benefitted almost immediately from those guys being allowed to go straight to the league. Obviously, for evey LeBron, Kobe, or KG there are 10 guys that failed, but I'd say the LeBrons make it worth it.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Just playing devil's advocate, but was it so bad for LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, or Kevin Garnett to be in the league the year after they graduated from HS? I'd say the league benefitted almost immediately from those guys being allowed to go straight to the league. Obviously, for evey LeBron, Kobe, or KG there are 10 guys that failed, but I'd say the LeBrons make it worth it.

It would have been even better for the NBA if KG and Kobe had spent a year at Kentucky and Duke and were big name stars when they came into the league. It's not all about the player being able to compete at the NBA level. Durant and Carmelo both could have got minutes in the league right out of high school, but becoming huge stars after playing a year in college worked out much better for all involved. LeBron is a one in a million exception, but even with him if he goes to Akron and leads them to the elite eight or wins a title with OSU then goes pro, the NBA isn't being hurt at all in that scenario.

Also it's not really fair to lump Kobe and KG in with LeBron there. LeBron was miles ahead both of them as 18-19 year olds.

tre

Mar 21, 2010
It would have been even better for the NBA if KG and Kobe had spent a year at Kentucky and Duke and were big name stars when they came into the league. It's not all about the player being able to compete at the NBA level. Durant and Carmelo both could have got minutes in the league right out of high school, but becoming huge stars after playing a year in college worked out much better for all involved. LeBron is a one in a million exception, but even with him if he goes to Akron and leads them to the elite eight or wins a title with OSU then goes pro, the NBA isn't being hurt at all in that scenario.

Also it's not really fair to lump Kobe and KG in with LeBron there. LeBron was miles ahead both of them as 18-19 year olds.

So, why don't we just force kids to go to college for all four years? They'd be way, way better than they are after just one year in college.

Just think how great the NBA would be if every player in the draft had four years under his belt at the college level.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
So, why don't we just force kids to go to college for all four years? They'd be way, way better than they are after just one year in college.

Just think how great the NBA would be if every player in the draft had four years under his belt at the college level.

Not really, the ROI to the NBA of a player going to college and being marketed to fans through college basketball is much greater in that first year than any other year. Think about it, Carmelo as a high schooler was unknown to most people who weren't diehard basketball fans, after one year at Syracuse he was a household name for most sports fans. He's already a known commodity coming into the league, him spending another year in college isn't going to benefit the NBA much. I would expect the NBA to push to make it two years in the next CBA but I don't think they would want to make it three years like the NFL requires.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames

I could declare for the NBA draft, it doesn't mean they are going to draft me and 'harm' their overall product.

tre

Mar 21, 2010
Not really, the ROI to the NBA of a player going to college and being marketed to fans through college basketball is much greater in that first year than any other year. Think about it, Carmelo as a high schooler was unknown to most people who weren't diehard basketball fans, after one year at Syracuse he was a household name for most sports fans. He's already a known commodity coming into the league, him spending another year in college isn't going to benefit the NBA much. I would expect the NBA to push to make it two years in the next CBA but I don't think they would want to make it three years like the NFL requires.

I counter with Dwyane Wade. D-Wade was on nobody's radar until his senior year, & more specifically his run in the NCAA tournament that year.

In the end I just think it's stupid for the NBA to tell a kid he can't make a decision to go pro & make money.

What's wrong with telling them you're allowed to go from HS to the NBA, or you wait 2/3 years before entering the draft?

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I counter with Dwyane Wade. D-Wade was on nobody's radar until his senior year, & more specifically his run in the NCAA tournament that year.

In the end I just think it's stupid for the NBA to tell a kid he can't make a decision to go pro & make money.

What's wrong with telling them you're allowed to go from HS to the NBA, or you wait 2/3 years before entering the draft?

The NBA doesn't say this, you can play in the NBDL or Europe right out of high school or even earlier than that. You just can't play in the NBA. I don't see what's hard for people to understand about this. The NBA is just doing what is best for itself, and it's really hard to make an argument that the one and done rule hasn't benefited the NBA.

And Wade wasn't a one and done type, so I don't see how he factors into this?

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I assume most of the people against the one and done rule, prefer watching college basketball to the NBA, in which case I can see your point. You'd rather have established college stars and miss seeing a few elite guys each year than seeing a bunch of players leave after one year. But I think most people who like the NBA more would much rather have the current rule than see players drafted right out of high school again.

tre

Mar 21, 2010
The NBA doesn't say this, you can play in the NBDL or Europe right out of high school or even earlier than that. You just can't play in the NBA. I don't see what's hard for people to understand about this. The NBA is just doing what is best for itself, and it's really hard to make an argument that the one and done rule hasn't benefited the NBA.

And Wade wasn't a one and done type, so I don't see how he factors into this?

I brought up Wade because you told me how players (Carmelo Anthony) are most marketable after their first year of college. If kids went to school for four years how many more D-Wades would there be?

Also, has forcing players to be one year removed from HS produced better players being drafted in the NBA? Seems to me that most of the one & done players end up getting drafted, doing very little in the league, & ultimately being sent to the D League.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
The NBA has an image problem because many people perceive it as a league of immature thugs. Maybe the NBA could help this by having the players committed to college for awhile so they have a chance to grow up before they are all suddenly millionaire superstars.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I brought up Wade because you told me how players (Carmelo Anthony) are most marketable after their first year of college. If kids went to school for four years how many more D-Wades would there be?

Also, has forcing players to be one year removed from HS produced better players being drafted in the NBA? Seems to me that most of the one & done players end up getting drafted, doing very little in the league, & ultimately being sent to the D League.

We were talking about kids who would normally go pro out of high school, Wade was not that kind of prospect out of high school.

And I'm pretty confident the success rate for one and done players sticking in the league is probably much greater than that of the average NBA draft pick.

tre

Mar 21, 2010
We were talking about kids who would normally go pro out of high school, Wade was not that kind of prospect out of high school.

And I'm pretty confident the success rate for one and done players sticking in the league is probably much greater than that of the average NBA draft pick.

You saying one & done players end up having longer NBA careers than players who make it to the NBA after 2, 3, or 4 years of college?

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
You saying one & done players end up having longer NBA careers than players who make it to the NBA after 2, 3, or 4 years of college?

That's what I would expect. Look at the lottery the last few years, it's dominated by one and done guys. Three of the top five picks each of the last two years have been freshman, I would certainly expect guys drafted higher to, on average, have more succesful NBA careers than later picks.

Looking through the drafts since '06, there's no question that, on average, one and done guys have been much more successful than players who come out later.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron