Seemingly never ending Iowa MBB thread (still going.....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Re: Iowa MBB now a projected #1 seed

ISU beat Iowa in Hilton while playing poorly and Uthoff having the game of his career.

Iowa has a better resume than ISU right now, I won't disagree with that. If the NCAA had to decide today Iowa would be a 2 seed and ISU would be a 3 IMO. I do think ISU is the better team and will end up having a better season

Just like ISU went further in the tourney last year?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Just like ISU went further in the tourney last year?

Did I say that? ISU lost in the first round to UAB. It sucked. I still think ISU goes into the tourney with a better seed and goes further. I mean ISU is a lot more talented and has a much higher ceiling. Iowa has been here before and fell apart down the stretch, I wouldn't get too cocky yet

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013

Augustna beat Iowa on their home court. UNI beat ISU on a neutral court

Iowa has 3 losses...ISU/ND/Dayton....what's this Augustana business? Certainly you're not bringing up an exhibition game.....that would be pretty dumb.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Iowa has 3 losses...ISU/ND/Dayton....what's this Augustana business? Certainly you're not bringing up an exhibition game.....that would be pretty dumb.

I didn't bring it up. Someone asked where those games were played.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area

This discussion will be moot when Uthoff scores <10 points and Iowa gets dropped by Rutgers tonight.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

Nope, but they beat a team that beat Iowa. Gotta be the case, right? Or should we take a look at advanced metrics to decide who's better? Ah, that sounds like a better idea.

http://kenpom.com/
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaab/sagarin/

That Ken Pom data isn't very good. There is no way MSU should be ranked that high. Wichita St is also ranked too high. What does it say about ISU when they have beat the 2 and 4 team in that ranking.

OVOsound

Nov 12, 2015
Iowa City

Rhetorical question...as in "So I guess UNI is the best team in the state?"

Why are you still replying to me? Everyone in this forum is dumber after having read your thoughts. Return tomorrow with a better attitude and maybe, just maybe you won't embarrass yourself.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Makes more sense to use KenPom than to use strict head-to-head results or transitive properties.

Debatable I guess. I already admitted Iowa has a better resume than ISU right now but I'm sure even you have to wonder how Uthoff could have the best game of his career and still lose to a team that Iowa is "better" than

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA

Well then your question is a pretty stupid one, right pleb? Or do you believe the transitive property applies here?

I'm still trying to figure out why you asked that in response to a question about UNI being the best team in Iowa.
Lets say they did play, either:
A) UNI wins, they are obviously the best team in the state based on your "ranking system where teams play eachother" idea.
or
B) Iowa wins, your "ranking system where teams play eachother" idea is shot, as it would be a circular argument, and we would probably be left with looking at other metrics, such as RPI (where the good guys are higher anyway).

OVOsound

Nov 12, 2015
Iowa City

That Ken Pom data isn't very good. There is no way MSU should be ranked that high. Wichita St is also ranked too high. What does it say about ISU when they have beat the 2 and 4 team in that ranking.

This dude's eye-test is better than Pomeroy's metrics. We need to get you a job on ESPN.

ISU is loaded with talent, what do you want me to say?

Status
Not open for further replies.