Season Ends Strong with Post Season Bid -->2019 Discussion

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I think it should be an important lesson for coaching staff...Hannah did great in the middle tonight. Way to step up!
I was a Bailey Fan from the get go. If not for injuries she would have held a higher status on the team- big, powerful, lefties are uniquely valuable. With a bandaged hand, she plays well in a mop-up role as the season continues. Was there a post-game mention of Grace's absence?

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
I think it should be an important lesson for coaching staff. If there is an issue and you are aware of it, there should be more consequences beyond mandatory sanctions. IMO, players clearly violating rules should then have team sanctions as well and not be allowed to start as soon as they are eligible again. I have been a Grace fan.

This is an interesting opinion, but what does it mean? You seem to know of the issue the coaching staff should have/or did. I guess, I'm surprised it didn't get leaked by now.

I've been a Grace fan, also, and it's really regrettable that she's not finishing out her career at ISU with her teammates.

IMO, with her absence, it makes this team's success even more special. I hope they win this tourney. Jess seems to have taken an even bigger leadership role, and she picks everybody up around her. I can only applaud that. We need that for the future.

Team10

Oct 10, 2018
This is an interesting opinion, but what does it mean? You seem to know of the issue the coaching staff should have/or did. I guess, I'm surprised it didn't get leaked by now.

I've been a Grace fan, also, and it's really regrettable that she's not finishing out her career at ISU with her teammates.

IMO, with her absence, it makes this team's success even more special. I hope they win this tourney. Jess seems to have taken an even bigger leadership role, and she picks everybody up around her. I can only applaud that. We need that for the future.

I agree, it is regrettable. She’s been a solid player for this team. I hope whatever the violations were, she uses this to move forward into a positive direction in her life and that she has a good support system around her.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Site, date, and time are not yet given according to Off. Iowa State Site. So we will see.
The announced after the match it would be Saturday at Hilton, time to be announced later. I would assume they won't put anything up on the website until they know the time.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyfan1965

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
The announced after the match it would be Saturday at Hilton, time to be announced later. I would assume they won't put anything up on the website until they know the time.
Assuredly you are correct.

Cool that we get to play at Hilton again, but what determines where the championship is played? Hilton if we win? The matches have been semi-competitive so far-good experience, I guess, for spring ball. Best thing is minimal cost to be in NIVC so far.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Officially we play at noon in Ames on Saturday 12/8 vs UNlV -fantastic Dawn! I have an obligation until noon so will hussle thereafter to get to a big screen.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I tuned in to this third set with Iowa State up 7-4.

UNLV won 25-13.

It feels like maybe I shouldn't be watching.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyched

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Pretty crazy match but came out with the W. So many momentum swings. Winning the first set was definitely key. Love this teams heart and grit.

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015
Whew what a match. That #7 serve was so dangerous. I'm not sure we could have held on had we not pulled out the 4th as we did. That was a true chess match.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
First volleyball match that I have watched this year. Sorry to hear about Lazard. For some reason I had no sound and wondered where she was. Weird to watch and only recognize one player. Hopefully I will soon be retired and have more time to watch. The poise that they showed was pretty special.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Whew what a match. That #7 serve was so dangerous. I'm not sure we could have held on had we not pulled out the 4th as we did. That was a true chess match.
CJL figured out if you call timeout she would miss the next serve. She never let her serve more than 2 in a row without making her think about it. She used a card once as well

• Agree
Reactions: Cynonymous

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
That was one of the more into-it crowds of the entire season. And, UNLV actually brought fans, which made it seem like a real tournament game. A group behind the up judge were likely from Spirit Lake as one player on their roster was from there. The rest that sat behind the visitor's bench in the first and third sets seemed to all have traveled here from Vegas.

The last two matches, it took ISU a set to get warmed up and show some spark. We dropped that first set to UNT, but then powered through the rest of it pretty well. Yesterday, it took coming back from being down 24-20 to force extra points for a 31-29 win. The second set ISU led by 9 at one point, winning by 6. In the third, ISU got clobbered 25-13 and it was never close after UNLV pulled ahead, 9-8. ISU held off a set point in the fourth and won 26-24.

It's nice to see this group fight through difficulties. They have a goal (the tournament title) and they're doing everything they can to get there. I don't know that this type of mind-set was there in mid-season when the team went 3-9 during a stretch. But I'm glad it's there now. :)