madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
2Eot.gif

^^Severely underrated.

• Disagree
Reactions: cyrocksmypants

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I haven’t seen the wedding singer in atleast a decade. Does it hold up?

I think so. It helps that it walked that fine line of mocking/celebrating the 80s to begin with.

Waterboy was pretty good but imo Wedding Singer was the last Sandler movie with the right amount of absurdity that worked.

Reactions: JM4CY

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
My younger days I may have thought similar to this...

Then I had a kid and realized it's just a game. And have good friends who matter more than a game.

Maybe the problem is some of you are just selfish ass holes?
I think it’s the opposite. I think people are ******** if they think that people they invite have to completely adjust their schedules for your event.

I think people against scheduling stuff during football are fine with people doing it as long as the people scheduling it don’t get mad if they miss the event. My really close friend scheduled his wedding during the Oklahoma game last year. Thankfully for me Covid screwed that all up but I told him I wasn’t sure if I could commit to missing one of the biggest games in Iowa State history.

I can go celebrate him being married plenty of other days. I can’t attend that game other days. If he really wanted it that day it doesn’t hurt my feelings that I can’t make it but it does if you expect me to miss something incredibly important to me.

You will never find a day that works for everyone. You just have to accept that some people aren’t going to be able to make it.

Beerbrat

Aug 17, 2011
Minneapolis
I think it’s the opposite. I think people are ******** if they think that people they invite have to completely adjust their schedules for your event.

I think people against scheduling stuff during football are fine with people doing it as long as the people scheduling it don’t get mad if they miss the event. My really close friend scheduled his wedding during the Oklahoma game last year. Thankfully for me Covid screwed that all up but I told him I wasn’t sure if I could commit to missing one of the biggest games in Iowa State history.

I can go celebrate him being married plenty of other days. I can’t attend that game other days. If he really wanted it that day it doesn’t hurt my feelings that I can’t make it but it does if you expect me to miss something incredibly important to me.

You will never find a day that works for everyone. You just have to accept that some people aren’t going to be able to make it.

I think everybody here drastically overestimates how much the people getting married will be upset if somebody chooses a football game over going to the wedding. Will they disappointed? Probably. Visibly angry/upset? I doubt it, unless you are very close friends/family. Everybody knows you can make your own decisions and respects that.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I think everybody here drastically overestimates how much the people getting married will be upset if somebody chooses a football game over going to the wedding. Will they disappointed? Probably. Visibly angry/upset? I doubt it, unless you are very close friends/family. Everybody knows you can make your own decisions and respects that.
If we can all have that maturity to accept everyone else’s decisions great. I guess I always get the impression in these discussions that it is seen as a huge insult to people that have these events.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and VeloClone

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

Simply put, you just aren't that good of a friend. What you are saying whether you intend to or not is that a college football game is more important than being with your friend on one of the biggest days of their life.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Simply put, you just aren't that good of a friend. What you are saying whether you intend to or not is that a college football game is more important than being with your friend on one of the biggest days of their life.

I've been to several weddings where that was the best day of their marriage and then that ended soon after.

Weddings for friends or distant relatives: optional.

Funerals: Practically mandatory or at least way more important.

This is outside of the game or no game debate as that's situation dependent.

• Agree
Reactions: tim_redd

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I've been to several weddings where that was the best day of their marriage and then that ended soon after.

Weddings for friends or distant relatives: optional.

Funerals: Practically mandatory or at least way more important.

This is outside of the game or no game debate as that's situation dependent.
I would draw the line between "friend" and "someone you know" at whether you attend something like a wedding or funeral. There are certainly valid reasons to miss something but a sporting event probably isn't ever going to hit too high on that list. It's a "friendship" when it's convenient and I wouldn't consider that a friendship. You know the person.

Clonefan93

Nov 26, 2017
My younger days I may have thought similar to this...

Then I had a kid and realized it's just a game. And have good friends who matter more than a game.

Maybe the problem is some of you are just selfish ass holes?

Finally someone who gets me.

My son was planning an October wedding in 2018. His mom dug in her heels and told him not to schedule it on a weekend with a home game, because she would choose the game over his wedding. Noticing the awkward situation my wife just entered, and to bail her out (I was going to side with her anyway), I offered my son $500 cash in crisp $100 bills if he got married on the bye-week.

In the end it worked out. He got married on the bye-week, he got $500 in additional cash, and all was saved. To this day I am so proud of his mom. One of life's greatest moments.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Finally someone who gets me.

My son was planning an October wedding in 2018. His mom dug in her heels and told him not to schedule it on a weekend with a home game, because she would choose the game over his wedding. Noticing the awkward situation my wife just entered, and to bail her out (I was going to side with her anyway), I offered my son $500 cash in crisp $100 bills if he got married on the bye-week.

In the end it worked out. He got married on the bye-week, he got $500 in additional cash, and all was saved. To this day I am so proud of his mom. One of life's greatest moments.
I bet if it were wrinkled old twenties he wouldn't have taken it.

• Haha
Reactions: NWICY

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
He knows my stance on football. Everyone I know knows my stance on football. I have another friend who is an Iowa fan who is the same way. People know that we are busy during football season.

My parents have a trip scheduled for 2023 already that they’ve been wanting to go on since they got married. Say one of my siblings or I get engaged and we really want to have our wedding during their trip. Do you really think the person being rude or inconsiderate would be us scheduling it during their trip or my parents if they said they couldn’t move their trip? We would be rude for expecting my parents to change their plans. My schedule is booked every Saturday from September through November in perpetuity. Football predates your event on my schedule.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
My dad and a couple of my uncles farm. I told my fiance at the time (now wife) that we couldn't get married in the fall, especially October because most of my family wouldn't show up unless it was raining and too wet to be in the field.

I had a brother get married on the same day as the Iowa/Iowa State game, but it wasn't their fault. The reception venue they had booked went out of business and they were scrambling to find a different venue. Of course the only opening they could find was the weekend of the Cy-Hawk game. Luckily, we won that game (Cole Netten's kick).

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'll never forget my brother telling me about a wedding he was in about 40 years ago the day of the Iowa/Iowa State football game. The groom didn't want to schedule it that day but as we all know it is often more about the bride and her mother than it is about the groom. Pretty much the whole wedding party - including said groom - was more interested in the game. One usher had a transistor radio with an ear piece during the ceremony monitoring the game. He was a hawk fan so he had an Iowa ball cap on. He would wear it forward if Iowa was up and backward if ISU was up. Pretty much half of the congregation was constantly turning around to check out the usher's hat during the entire ceremony.

I also attended a wedding during the ISU/KU game which was for a berth in the Big 12 championship. Bride and groom were ISU fans but pretty much all of groom's family were hawks. Some of his family were monitoring the game and they let our a big cheer during the ceremony when ISU lost the game.

If you don't want people distracted during your ceremony, know your audience and think twice about when you schedule it.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I would draw the line between "friend" and "someone you know" at whether you attend something like a wedding or funeral. There are certainly valid reasons to miss something but a sporting event probably isn't ever going to hit too high on that list. It's a "friendship" when it's convenient and I wouldn't consider that a friendship. You know the person.

Really I typically couldn't care less if someone's getting married but if it's someone who was once close with and their parent or whomever died that funeral/visitation is a priority.

And also I do agree a sporting event isn't that big of a deal to miss. I missed the Baylor game so I could camp for a weekend and it's not like I need to watch it.

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
My son had a bball game the same night as the ISU-Iowa game in 2015. I hadn’t missed one in the series since ’83. But It was still a no brainer to go watch my son instead.

Anyways… after my son’s game we get in the car and I turn on Walters and Heft to find out the Clones are getting their johnsons handed to them by Uthoff!!! I looked at my wife “They’re getting pounded because I’m not there for them!!” She said “Are you blanking serious?!!? You really believe that?”
“Hold on I’m gonna punch it so we can make the 2nd half.”

We turn on the TV to find out Jok had just hit 4 straight 3’s to extend Iowa's lead to a thousand. Then from that point on it was all Iowa State.

My wife has been a believer ever since.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I mean most fall weddings for 2022 probably already have a date and spot booked. Anyone know if the clones will be at home this time next year?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Really I typically couldn't care less if someone's getting married but if it's someone who was once close with and their parent or whomever died that funeral/visitation is a priority.

And also I do agree a sporting event isn't that big of a deal to miss. I missed the Baylor game so I could camp for a weekend and it's not like I need to watch it.
That cluster was YOUR fault?!?!?! You jackass!!! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: madguy30