Save Oregon Wrestling

BugDoc

Feb 6, 2007
Corvallis, OR
I realize that there are not many Duck fans on CF (actually, I have adopted the Beavs as my second team to the Clones since I moved to Corvallis six years ago) but I know that there are lots of wrestling fans. The University of Oregon is slated to dump their wrestling program after this year. Basically a Title IX move as I understand it as they plan to add baseball. I encourage all of you interested in saving this great sport to go to the website, sign the petition and/or donate $$$$ to help them endow the program. We are fortunate to have a thriving program at ISU, but I hate to see yet another Division I program get cut. I just got home from taking my seven year old daughter to a Beaver wrestling meet and we both had a great time!!!!

Save Oregon Wrestling

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I don't understand how it is a Title 9 move if they are going to add baseball.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
Actually, I heard they are cutting wrestling to help fund their football uniform budget.

BugDoc

Feb 6, 2007
Corvallis, OR
I think that the whole thing basically stems from the fact that the Beavers have won back to back national titles in baseball and arrogant Duck fans just can't stand to see that happen!!! It would be the same if ISU excelled in a sport that EIU didn't have. The evil empire simply couldn't stand for that!

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Wrestling is gone. Baseball is in. Competitive cheerleading (there's your women's sport) is in. Plus, they are going to have a brand new $200 million arena open in a couple of years.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Oregon is great in football and basketball, what do you need wrestling for? I wish Iowa State would win a national title in football, basketball, wrestling, womens basketball, track, women's tennis, softball, and gymnastics, but I'm not greedy, I'll just take one national title.

Gordyo5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 3, 2007
Glenwood, Ia
Title 9 is a complete joke. I hope that the law is changed for obviously bogus rules.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
I think that the whole thing basically stems from the fact that the Beavers have won back to back national titles in baseball and arrogant Duck fans just can't stand to see that happen!!! It would be the same if ISU excelled in a sport that EIU didn't have. The evil empire simply couldn't stand for that!

That's basically what it boils down to out there. They just spent around $3 million to bring baseball back, I think after they said "we can't afford to keep wrestling" :wideeyed:

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
Really. Is their anyway we can bring back the baseball program at ISU? Just add some women's sport, and we are bringing in a lot more revenue.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
How many Wrestling teams are there anymore? Is it going the way of Men's Seimming and Men's Gymnastics? More and more schools are adding baseball, especially since there is becomming a demand, especially on TV for college baseball. The Fox channels out west always have college baseball on. I am sure they are being pressured by the conference to add baseball, since they are the second best baseball conference out there...behind the Big XII.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
There are about 90 wrestling teams in D-1, and around 18 men's gymnastics teams. Men's swimming still has over 130 teams, but just 3 in the Big 12.

PolkCityClone

Mar 24, 2006
Am I the only one that laughed when I read Beaver Wrestling? Conjures up some interesting images.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Am I the only one that laughed when I read Beaver Wrestling? Conjures up some interesting images.

Mud Ducks in training:

Mud_Wrestling_7_25_0083.jpg photo - Andy Wood photos at pbase.com
steer-roast2001-2.jpg

Last edited: