SATURDAY PODCAST: Top fall camp stories, overlooked Cyclones

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Great podcast. Totally agree with Jared, this team has way more guys that are going to be able to contribute in a positive way than teams from the last decade. It was painful to watch how badly the second team guys got abused in prior years.

• Agree
Reactions: norcalcy

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I have a funny feeling in my gut about this season. There's just too much confidence coming from these coaches right now. I think the only one being tempered much is Heacock. Otherwise there is some serious hype train going on. Now Rhoads did this all the time, I know, this just feels different. Especially since everyone talks about how close the team is. Teams that win are teams which have strong relationships.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I have a funny feeling in my gut about this season. There's just too much confidence coming from these coaches right now. I think the only one being tempered much is Heacock. Otherwise there is some serious hype train going on. Now Rhoads did this all the time, I know, this just feels different. Especially since everyone talks about how close the team is. Teams that win are teams which have strong relationships.

Don't do this to yourself.

Only half kidding. There's something wrong with you if you can't get excited in the weeks before football season. Unfortunately that preseason buzz turned into a hangover real quick last year.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010

Every year in August, I am optimistic. It's the nature of being a fan. However, this year I am more cautious. I just think it takes more than one season and two off seasons to build something significant.

The skill guys are looking good, but a really good offense really depends on the O line. Campbell and Manning were left with very little to work with. They did a great job mixing and matching and plugging some holes last year. We absolutely have to be able to run the ball. We also have to be able to stop the other team's running game just a little bit this year. If we don't, I see reruns of the 2016 Baylor and OK St. games. We'll be competitive with some good teams, but probably come up short more than we would like. Getting to six wins is going to be really really tough.

I hope I'm wrong. Coming out in three weeks and pushing around UNI's offensive and defensive fronts would be a great first indicator.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Every year in August, I am optimistic. It's the nature of being a fan. However, this year I am more cautious. I just think it takes more than one season and two off seasons to build something significant.

The skill guys are looking good, but a really good offense really depends on the O line. Campbell and Manning were left with very little to work with. They did a great job mixing and matching and plugging some holes last year. We absolutely have to be able to run the ball. We also have to be able to stop the other team's running game just a little bit this year. If we don't, I see reruns of the 2016 Baylor and OK St. games. We'll be competitive with some good teams, but probably come up short more than we would like. Getting to six wins is going to be really really tough.

I hope I'm wrong. Coming out in three weeks and pushing around UNI's offensive and defensive fronts would be a great first indicator.
Not worried about the offense. I think D-line is the only place we will be shakey to start. Hoping Tongamoa gets here and can help sooner than later. Just happy that we have more larger bodies for the interior d-line. If we have some early injuries I imagine it will be another rough season.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'm really intrigued by Jared putting Jamahl Johnson on his list. What makes him feel thay way?

After listening to Rasheed, I kinda thought the opposite, like he wanted to see a bit more out of Jamahl?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I'm really intrigued by Jared putting Jamahl Johnson on his list. What makes him feel thay way?

After listening to Rasheed, I kinda thought the opposite, like he wanted to see a bit more out of Jamahl?
Sheed just said that he needed more out of him, but he mentioned his name as someone that was standing out. Isn't he a true sophomore? I'll take that.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Not worried about the offense. I think D-line is the only place we will be shakey to start. Hoping Tongamoa gets here and can help sooner than later. Just happy that we have more larger bodies for the interior d-line. If we have some early injuries I imagine it will be another rough season.

The progress that is being made in establishing some depth across this roster is one of the more interesting aspects of the program re-build. There are older guys like Garcia who are responding to good coaching and being put in positions to see the field and succeed. Then there are the younger guys who saw with their own eyes that this staff isn't afraid to play true Freshmen. In a couple of interviews, Heacock has talked about finding "pairs and spares" in the early workouts. Guys get dinged up as the season goes on. Going to fun to see if some of this depth is for real as the season wears on.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron