Sally Mason stepping down at Iowa.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
never was.

am i supposed to apologize for having knowledge and opinion related to pretty big events that while have repercussions for both ISU and the Big Ten? or should i do the normal ISU fan routine of sticking to threads ******** about the refs of <insert game here> and mocking HOK FANS??!?!?!?!?

No, you're supposed to apologize for being the biggest d-bag HOK FAN alive. And then go play in traffic.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Ouch. If memory serves me it took over a year to find her and they paid for two retained searches that added up to around $500K.

Good luck to them. (not really)

why the hell does it cost so much to find people like this. there's probably a few thousand people in the country at most who can do this job and there is certainly an online community or resource network they all use. Put out an ad on it, have them fly in, do some interviews and hire someone. where exactly does that 500k go?

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
never was.

am i supposed to apologize for having knowledge and opinion related to pretty big events that while have repercussions for both ISU and the Big Ten? or should i do the normal ISU fan routine of sticking to threads ******** about the refs of <insert game here> and mocking HOK FANS??!?!?!?!?

Me-owww! Thanks for answering!

cute-kitten-touching-the-screen.gif

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
why the hell does it cost so much to find people like this. there's probably a few thousand people in the country at most who can do this job and there is certainly an online community or resource network they all use. Put out an ad on it, have them fly in, do some interviews and hire someone. where exactly does that 500k go?

Into some consultant's pocket. :)

johnnydugouts

Jan 11, 2013
"never was" a Wisconsin fan? Okey dokey - thanks for resolving that, and for ending the pretense.

no, you asked if i was pretending. i never was pretending.

you are simply giving the stock answer of any ******* who cant stand a positive word about anyone other than ISU.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
That's precisely why it is such a cumbersome process.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

you are simply giving the stock answer of any ******* who cant stand a positive word about anyone other than ISU.

What I don't understand is you're a Wisconsin fan that will root for ISU over Iowa in basketball but will root for Iowa over ISU in football. That just confuses me

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

Yet you, who voluntarily posts on CYCLONEFANATIC.COM never say anything positive about ISU. You either take backhanded shots or defend iowa/anything/anyone else.

Nobody asked for your opinion, but you continually ****** around on here with some air of superiority, only posting in threads where iowa is the main topic, like a know-it-all. Once and for all, just go **** off.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
That's precisely why it is such a cumbersome process.

but most of those people are probably at universities they want to stay at, narrowing the field to perhaps a few dozen who want to come to iowa.

it always amazes me when organizations want change but then go right back to the people with the same degrees and qualifications as everyone else.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
but most of those people are probably at universities they want to stay at, narrowing the field to perhaps a few dozen who want to come to iowa.

it always amazes me when organizations want change but then go right back to the people with the same degrees and qualifications as everyone else.

And you think throwing an ad on a website would attract them?

I think there is an argument to be made about search firms being overpaid, for sure, but you aren't really being realistic about this process. They aren't looking for a Wal-mart greeter here.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

Mason's degrees and qualifications were fine. It was her leadership style that was terrible. If they bring in someone with the exact same qualifications, but it willing to actually lead the charge in handling issues that arise rather than hiding through silence, it would be a considerable improvement.

As far as the number of candidates, I'm betting there are a lot more than a few dozen that might be interested. We're talking about university presidents at less prestigious schools, provosts and deans. The list might be a lot bigger than you think.

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
Mason's degrees and qualifications were fine. It was her leadership style that was terrible. If they bring in someone with the exact same qualifications, but it willing to actually lead the charge in handling issues that arise rather than hiding through silence, it would be a considerable improvement.

As far as the number of candidates, I'm betting there are a lot more than a few dozen that might be interested. We're talking about university presidents at less prestigious schools, provosts and deans. The list might be a lot bigger than you think.

Agreed. A few dozen candidates is ridiculous. When I applied to Radiology school we had 300+ applications. I completely understand that's different than applying to be the President of a major university, but there will be a lot of applicants regardless. There's thousands of schools who have people that would be interested in a job like this. They may only conduct interviews on a small percentage of them, but a bunch will apply. I have no doubt about that.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Can you imagine having to read through even 500 CV's? Positions at that level take a lot more than a 1-2 page resume with a cover letterThe consulting firm also spends a considerable amount of time weeding out the unqualified. The official search committee for a position like this is typically made up of a variety of people who all have real jobs - they need a filter process if they're going to complete the search/hiring in a "reasonable" amount of time. Mason's abrupt retirement (8 months?) is not making it easy.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Can you imagine having to read through even 500 CV's? Positions at that level take a lot more than a 1-2 page resume with a cover letterThe consulting firm also spends a considerable amount of time weeding out the unqualified. The official search committee for a position like this is typically made up of a variety of people who all have real jobs - they need a filter process if they're going to complete the search/hiring in a "reasonable" amount of time. Mason's abrupt retirement (8 months?) is not making it easy.

If you believe this was sudden then yes, I think that would be a difficult timeline. I'm not so sure that this was unforeseen by the BOR.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
If you believe this was sudden then yes, I think that would be a difficult timeline. I'm not so sure that this was unforeseen by the BOR.

Unforseen, no. However, you can't start a search before the person officially serves notice they are stepping down. You can bet that if the BOR hired a consulting firm to start the process, the news media would have been all over it with speculation. It's one thing to give relatively short notice if you are accepting another position - it's a whole 'nuther subject if you're "retiring".

CyKosys

Nov 24, 2006
It did appear that this was on the way for a while. I'm interested to see how the search process goes for a replacement. If the performance-based funding goes through the legislature, next year will be the first year ever that Iowa State will receive more funding than Iowa.

Well, it should. It's a better institution.

digZ

Sep 2, 2011
Colorado
never was.

Gessell is better than Morris, amirite?

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA

Most people who can do this job are probably already doing it and are being well paid. Therefor, you need to go after them and present this as a better opportunity.

U of Iowa is unique in that you have to run a university and a research hospital which greatly reduces the number of people who are qualified and may be interested.

I can't remember exactly what happened but I do remember they ended up paying for two retained searches which is very rare. I think maybe they did not interview first slate of candidates in a timely fashion or something like that. Anyways, it should have only cost them about $200-$250K.

Recruiting fees do sound outrageous but trust me, organizations pay them every day. Relying on web postings only reaches about 5% of the potential candidate pool.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Unforseen, no. However, you can't start a search before the person officially serves notice they are stepping down. You can bet that if the BOR hired a consulting firm to start the process, the news media would have been all over it with speculation. It's one thing to give relatively short notice if you are accepting another position - it's a whole 'nuther subject if you're "retiring".

why can't you? You can't hire a search firm before the job becomes open sure, but there's nothing stopping anyone on the BOR from talking with people about it.

It was pretty clear last year that they weren't exactly pleased with her performance. They've had ample time to gauge interest in a handful of prospective hires. As has been mentioned, it's not like there are a ton of people qualified in the first place.

To use an example, Pollard has given his support to CPR but do you think he hasn't began compiling a list of names for potential replacement? I have no idea who would make a good president or who the potential applicants would be, but the people who run in those circles would.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron