Sally Mason stepping down at Iowa.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Makes a person wonder if there is a scandal soon to rear its ugly head over there and Mason has already seen the writing on the wall.

Last edited:

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
I never really paid any attention to Mason. Could someone explain why Hawkeye fans (and everyone in general) are happy to see her go?

Sally was the one who spearheaded most of the tailgate restrictions and stepped up enforcement on game days. Most blame her directly for the declining atmosphere on football Saturdays.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Sally "Sexual Assault is Just Human Nature" Mason?

Good riddance.

That always got overblown, IMO. The way she shrunk away from the backlash and ended the one-on-one interviews with the DI over that was bad, but nothing she said was unreasonable. Completely eliminating sexual assault probably isn't realistic. It certainly can't hurt to continually strive for that, but there will always be bad seeds out there.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
I'll apply. Director of a non profit here, ha.

Goals:
1) Fire Barta and hire a AD who is fresh out of college with a $6million a year 20 year contract that will agree to Iowa visiting Iowa state every year for the next 20 years so ISU doesn't have to go to Iowa City ever again, in any sport.
2) Turn the athletics parking lots into hospital expansions.

Resign my post to work for some other position knowing that Iowa Athletics has been damaged for a while. :rolleyes:
Could be a decent resume builder, ha.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I never really paid any attention to Mason. Could someone explain why Hawkeye fans (and everyone in general) are happy to see her go?

Well, many seem to think she's the first domino that needed to fall for some serious change in the athletic department. Having a president who cares a little more about athletics might end up with Barta losing his job. Athletics certainly shouldn't be a president's first priority (or even among the top 5), and I don't know if Mason had a negative impact on the athletic department. But I also don't know if she had a positive one.

I'm happy to see her go, regardless of whatever impact she did or didn't have on athletics. I just don't think she was a very good president. PR blunders seemingly every other week (some more serious than others) and a disturbing bunker mentality that was put on prominent display when she ended her monthly one-on-one interviews with the Daily Iowan (which had been a tradition going back over the tenures of several previous presidents). She did a lot to put the university in an embarrassing light, and I'm glad she's going to fade away.

johnnydugouts

Jan 11, 2013
What is the latest with Barta and the issue of firing a number of female coaches? I haven't followed the news on this since this past summer, but it sounded very incriminating and a potential pending lawsuit on gender discrimination.

a bunch of field hockey fans and their significant others starting a facebook group. Im sure Barta is trembling.

In reality, the lawsuit is going to get laughed out of court, but the UI might just settle for convenience.

johnnydugouts

Jan 11, 2013
That always got overblown, IMO. The way she shrunk away from the backlash and ended the one-on-one interviews with the DI over that was bad, but nothing she said was unreasonable. Completely eliminating sexual assault probably isn't realistic. It certainly can't hurt to continually strive for that, but there will always be bad seeds out there.

it was classic social media case of "i dont care with what she actually meant, i care about her semantics! i want blood!"

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
Well, many seem to think she's the first domino that needed to fall for some serious change in the athletic department. Having a president who cares a little more about athletics might end up with Barta losing his job. Athletics certainly shouldn't be a president's first priority (or even among the top 5), and I don't know if Mason had a negative impact on the athletic department. But I also don't know if she had a positive one.

I'm happy to see her go, regardless of whatever impact she did or didn't have on athletics. I just don't think she was a very good president. PR blunders seemingly every other week (some more serious than others) and a disturbing bunker mentality that was put on prominent display when she ended her monthly one-on-one interviews with the Daily Iowan (which had been a tradition going back over the tenures of several previous presidents). She did a lot to put the university in an embarrassing light, and I'm glad she's going to fade away.

This pretty much sums up my position as well. She was a President who liked to have power, but didn't want to face the music that comes with it. The whole Daily Iowan situation was the final straw for me. How could she justify refusing to be interviewed by her own University newspaper?

I think the U of I needs to hire a likable person with an energy and enthusiasm capable of getting things done. They've been wet noodles for quite some time now and it has created a culture of mediocrity.

Sally Mason leaving is a step in the right direction. Now we'll sit back and see who replaces her.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I always got the feeling the BoR didn't like her very much. Maybe that's unfair. And I second hiring Leath, then he can turn Iowa City into a 40,000 student campus with skyscrapers instead of Ames.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I always got the feeling the BoR didn't like her very much. Maybe that's unfair. And I second hiring Leath, then he can turn Iowa City into a 40,000 student campus with skyscrapers instead of Ames.

You one of those old farts that grumps about progress?

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

I don't know what your issue is here. I've been to the ISU campus on several occasions since graduating high school, and I went to Iowa. I've always liked ISU's campus better; if it were better for my chosen major than Iowa, I would have gone to ISU. The campus just felt more like home than Iowa's. I enjoyed my time in Iowa City, but there are aspects of student life at ISU I think I would have enjoyed more.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
mods, please move this post to the "******* with no insight on the topic being discussed" forum. TIA.

that's rich coming from the Hok troll. You going to answer the question?

Here's my insight. I hope they hire Alvarez. Or a cat.

Last edited:

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I've already commented on this thread, so I'll second the question. Are you still pretending to be a Wisconsin fan?

I mean, I just thought it curious that a Wisky fan apparently knew so much about the inside happenings of a pretend scandal/lawsuit at Iowa.

johnnydugouts

Jan 11, 2013
I've already commented on this thread, so I'll second the question. Are you still pretending to be a Wisconsin fan?

never was.

am i supposed to apologize for having knowledge and opinion related to pretty big events that while have repercussions for both ISU and the Big Ten? or should i do the normal ISU fan routine of sticking to threads ******** about the refs of <insert game here> and mocking HOK FANS??!?!?!?!?

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
never was.

am i supposed to apologize for having knowledge and opinion related to pretty big events that while have repercussions for both ISU and the Big Ten? or should i do the normal ISU fan routine of sticking to threads ******** about the refs of <insert game here> and mocking HOK FANS??!?!?!?!?

"never was" a Wisconsin fan? Okey dokey - thanks for resolving that, and for ending the pretense.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron