Sally Mason stepping down at Iowa.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
It did appear that this was on the way for a while. I'm interested to see how the search process goes for a replacement. If the performance-based funding goes through the legislature, next year will be the first year ever that Iowa State will receive more funding than Iowa.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
My guess is they hire a president some time this summer (may not take over immediately) and they'll be looking for a new AD and head football coach next December

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It was either Ferentz or her!

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
From what I gather from Iowa fans they seem to think Mason was the only thing protecting Barta, and Barta the only thing protecting Kirk (well, and his astronomical buyout).

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
From what I gather from Iowa fans they seem to think Mason was the only thing protecting Barta, and Barta the only thing protecting Kirk (well, and his astronomical buyout).

What is the latest with Barta and the issue of firing a number of female coaches? I haven't followed the news on this since this past summer, but it sounded very incriminating and a potential pending lawsuit on gender discrimination.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Ouch. If memory serves me it took over a year to find her and they paid for two retained searches that added up to around $500K.

Good luck to them. (not really)

ISULibrarian

Apr 17, 2010
As someone in academia (though not ISU), with the way the search process works, I would be surprised if they have a new president by this summer. The search process takes serious time, and I have to imagine a place the size of Iowa is hiring a professional firm to conduct the search. Look at Geoffroy's retirement as an example; he announced his intention to retire in March 2011, with him staying on no later than the end of June, 2012 (standard end date for academic contracts. ) I imagine Sally Mason will do something similar, especially when you consider her husband's sweet deal with the university as well.

My guess is they hire a president some time this summer (may not take over immediately) and they'll be looking for a new AD and head football coach next December

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I never really paid any attention to Mason. Could someone explain why Hawkeye fans (and everyone in general) are happy to see her go?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It did appear that this was on the way for a while. I'm interested to see how the search process goes for a replacement. If the performance-based funding goes through the legislature, next year will be the first year ever that Iowa State will receive more funding than Iowa.

And was it like 3 years ago ISU passed them in overall enrollment? The Iowans enrolled probably passed them in the mid 90s?

Can't blame a university prez for an obvious correction that should be made.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
As someone in academia (though not ISU), with the way the search process works, I would be surprised if they have a new president by this summer. The search process takes serious time, and I have to imagine a place the size of Iowa is hiring a professional firm to conduct the search. Look at Geoffroy's retirement as an example; he announced his intention to retire in March 2011, with him staying on no later than the end of June, 2012 (standard end date for academic contracts. ) I imagine Sally Mason will do something similar, especially when you consider her husband's sweet deal with the university as well.

Clark's time frame might be a little shortened, but IMO the order of events is probably pretty spot-on.