Saban Defends Oversigning

cigaretteman

Nov 8, 2006
Iowa
Feb. 2 marked another joyous Signing Day in Tuscaloosa, Ala. For the third time in four years, a major recruiting site (Rivals.com) deemed Alabama's class the nation's best. On the heels of that past success at 'Bama and two No. 1 classes at LSU, the 2011 haul further enhanced coach Nick Saban's reputation as the sport's most renowned recruiter.
But this year, Saban's Signing Day press conference wasn't entirely about saluting his staff and heralding incoming blue-chippers like linebacker Brent Calloway and defensive back Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix. There was an -- forgive me for this -- elephant in the room.
Over the past year, Saban became the unwitting face of recruiting's hottest topic: oversigning. He's far from the only coach in the country who regularly signs more players than there are available spots on his roster, as my colleague Andy Staples recently documented. But the more national championships a coach wins, the greater the scrutiny, and the likes of The Wall Street Journal began shedding light on Saban's penchant for expending a number of upperclassmen every year to make room for the new kids.
To his credit, Saban didn't dodge the question when it came up on Wednesday. He actually gave a 431-word diatribe in defense of both oversigning and grayshirting, another contentious practice that Florida president Bernie Machen criticized this week.
But Saban didn't exactly offer specifics for how he'll trim his roster, either. (Not that anyone expected him to.) I'm also not sure how much of what Saban said anyone aside from blind 'Bama loyalists will believe. Let's put it out there and see.
Read more: Decoding Nick Saban's defense of oversigning, grayshirting - Stewart Mandel - SI.com

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
He can try to spin it however he wants, but Saban is taking advantage of a loophole, plain and simple. Is he breaking the rules? No, not technically, but I doubt oversigning conforms to the spirit of the rule.

kgreeny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Saban is far from the only coach who does this (not that that makes it better). Wasn't it just last year we lost a good LB to Miss on the same type of thing?

Last edited:

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
Who was the recruit deciding between Alabama and Auburn, said he was waiting to see which one offered the 'best' scholarship? College football and basketball is becoming a bigger joke every year.

kgreeny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Who was the recruit deciding between Alabama and Auburn, said he was waiting to see which one offered the 'best' scholarship? College football and basketball is becoming a bigger joke every year.

By "best", are you saying most Cam type benefits?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

I never heard that one. That's hilarious, infuriating, sad all at the same time.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
He can try to spin it however he wants, but Saban is taking advantage of a loophole, plain and simple. Is he breaking the rules? No, not technically, but I doubt oversigning conforms to the spirit of the rule.

yup, exactly... college athletics are full of loop holes that all the major programs stretch to the point of un ethical. all in the name of winning... saban is a liar as we already know.