Ruffin McNeil

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines
Ruffin McNeil, wow, talking about some gutsy calls. I tell you I hope he gets teh position as a head coach for Texas Tech. He made some calls that really impressed me. 2 4th and at least 4+ yards to go, adn then he pulls Taylor Potts out and replaces him twith Sheffield. Sheffield produces momentum and throws a TD for TT that keeps them ahead for good.

Ruffin McNeil reminds me of CPR, he has enthusiasim his players love him, and he loves Texas Tech. He has been there for ten years and knows how this team works and operates. If he does not get this position, its a conspiracy against him. He has the heart to keep Texas Tech going in the right direction.

For the people who think TT will be in disarrray....should have watched Texas Tech play.

Torres (WR) a RS freshman will be good next year
Sheffield (QB) a JR. throws the ball and threads some tight shots
Potts (QB) a JR. may be back if he does not go to the NFL
Batch (RB) a JR. is a power runner

Lots of Juniors on the squad and with Interm McNeil being there, I believe they will still be good.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Tech HAS to give him serious consideration and I think they will lean towards him.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
I think Tech will want to make more of a splash hire personally.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Tech almost lost to a 6-6 Big 10 team. Sure in hind sight the calls he made seem great, but had they failed he would have been run out of Lubbock. As an ISU fan I hope he gets the head coaching job.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I think Tech will want to make more of a splash hire personally.

Yeah, I don't think they're going to go the West Virginia route. I'm thinking they'll try to find someone outside the program with more cache. Tuberville? There aren't many out there right now but you never know who might be let go in the next couple of weeks.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
They need to look at potential candidates and see whom is interested. I wouldnt be surprised to see them choose him though.

superfan

Oct 8, 2006
League City, TX
Tech is going to be in a very interesting scenario.

Sounds like Riley was making the offensive calls, including the two "go" on 4th down, and the doctors told the TT coaches Potts couldn't go back in. Hard to judge his coaching abilities when using Leach's players, Leach's gameplan, and Leach's offense. His defense, meanwhile, got scorched by a 6-6 Big 10 team without it's two top receivers. I thought Dantonio completely outcoached him.

He sounds like a great guy, player's coach, like a big teddy bear. Can he recruit? Discipline the team? Who will run the offense? Will he be able to retain the current coaches, who are likely loyal to Leach and may testify for him? The Good Ol' Boys club running Tech didn't like Leach because he was eccentric, will they be able to handle hiring a black coach?

There are problems for the administration, as well, TT has money problems, ESPECIALLY with this legal battle looming on the horizon. If they didn't want to pay Leach, how will they afford a "splash" hire like Tuberville? Lots of fans are angry at the school and will give up their season tickets and donations.

They'll be good for a couple years regardless, just like West Virginia is still good after RichRod left. Good, but not AS good. Stay tuned...

Last edited:

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
Ruffin McNeil, wow, talking about some gutsy calls. I tell you I hope he gets teh position as a head coach for Texas Tech. He made some calls that really impressed me. 2 4th and at least 4+ yards to go, adn then he pulls Taylor Potts out and replaces him twith Sheffield. Sheffield produces momentum and throws a TD for TT that keeps them ahead for good.

Ruffin McNeil reminds me of CPR, he has enthusiasim his players love him, and he loves Texas Tech. He has been there for ten years and knows how this team works and operates. If he does not get this position, its a conspiracy against him. He has the heart to keep Texas Tech going in the right direction.

For the people who think TT will be in disarrray....should have watched Texas Tech play.

Lots of Juniors on the squad and with Interm McNeil being there, I believe they will still be good.

me too.

cyfan15

Oct 23, 2006
I hope he gets the job too for ISU's sake because he isn't a proven head coach. He seems like a great guy and he showed a lot of guts tonight, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's the best coach Texas Tech can hire.

Look at what's happened to West Virginia. Bill Stewart coached the team to a big win over Oklahoma, got hired, and the team took a step back. Yeah they're still a good team, but they aren't what they were under Rodriguez. Anyone who's watched them the last couple years knows that Stewart's coaching leaves a lot to be desired at times.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Houston's coach has to be on the short list. He also used to work at Tech.

I don't give Ruffin much of a shot personally.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
He already has a nickname, "The Nutty Professor"
It could stick.

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa

I agree, they played without missing a beat. He should be named head coach, he appers to want the job and has the respect of the players.

The Mook

Jun 26, 2008
Ankeny, IA
www.twitter.com
I think way too much is put into how an interim coach performs in these situations. Keeping the ship pointed in the right direction for 6 days is a lot different than maintaining the same course for the next 6 months! Regardless of who is hired at Tech, including McNeil, the team will look very different come next fall than it did last night.

I personally don't think McNeil has a chance. They (the power brokers at Tech that railroaded Leach out of town the first chance they got) will want to go outside anyone associated with Leach and make a big splash. McNeil has said Leach is not only his friend, but his best friend. This feels like a Chizik hire to me.