Roy Williams

SpoderClone

Feb 15, 2014
Just saw that Roy Williams got his 300th win at Carolina. Fastest coach to 300 in ACC history. For what seems like a lot of down seasons lately, it is impressive that he is still the fastest to 300 in a historically good conference.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
He wins games with the cream of the crop and shady recruiting tactics?, no wai. **** Roy.

SpoderClone

Feb 15, 2014
He wins games with the cream of the crop and shady recruiting tactics?, no wai. **** Roy.

That hasn't helped the two teams playing in the turd bowl right now.

And by turd bowl I mean ok state at Bailer.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
Just saw that Roy Williams got his 300th win at Carolina. Fastest coach to 300 in ACC history. For what seems like a lot of down seasons lately, it is impressive that he is still the fastest to 300 in a historically good conference.

Have to be honest, not that impressed at all.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
That hasn't helped the two teams playing in the turd bowl right now.

And by turd bowl I mean ok state at Bailer.

Apples and oranges. Roy has coached at KU and UNC. Two programs with already built winning history.

SpoderClone

Feb 15, 2014
Noone is saying Roy cant coach, but he isnt exactly taking coal and making diamonds.

I agree with that. But I would be willing to bet that there are more coaches who have fallen flat at blue blood schools like Kansas and Carolina than there are coaches who got those programs to 300 wins in less than 400 games.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I agree with that. But I would be willing to bet that there are more coaches who have fallen flat at blue blood schools like Kansas and Carolina than there are coaches who got those programs to 300 wins in less than 400 games.

Hard to judge Carolina since theyve basically had dean smith and his former assistants for 50 years.

As for Kansas... anyone who coaches there manages to get at least one final 4..

Kansas Jayhawks men's basketball - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
Looks like Bill Self also has 300 wins. Have to assume he was the fastest to get to 300 in the big xii?

SpoderClone

Feb 15, 2014
Hard to judge Carolina since theyve basically had dean smith and his former assistants for 50 years.

As for Kansas... anyone who coaches there manages to get at least one final 4..

Kansas Jayhawks men's basketball - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

maybe one of the reasons every kansas coach has a final four appearance is because they hire outstanding coaches? with all the prestige of a Carolina or Kansas, its not like any scrub can just take over and get 300 wins in under 11 seasons.

dismiss it all you want but i think any coach who does that deserves respect.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
maybe one of the reasons every kansas coach has a final four appearance is because they hire outstanding coaches? with all the prestige of a Carolina or Kansas, its not like any scrub can just take over and get 300 wins in under 11 seasons.

dismiss it all you want but i think any coach who does that deserves respect.

Its probably a bit of both. You dont get the job off the street but having the talent kansas has can make a relatively average coach look like a star

SpoderClone

Feb 15, 2014
Its probably a bit of both. You dont get the job off the street but having the talent kansas has can make a relatively average coach look like a star

everybody says this, but can you give me any examples? i can think of many coaches who have done the opposite, where they take over a program that's had success and don't do well.