Roku may end agreement with YouTube TV

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
I am probably going to drop YTTV after next month. We really don't watch much on it. I record things OTA so from the basic cable standpoint there isn't anything I need to see live during the summer months.

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009
The Networks claim skipping commercials is theft. I hope your conscience is clear.

Did you sign a terms of agreement stating that you wouldn't skip commercials? No? then it's not a good comparison.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: twojman

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I won't miss YTTV much. I'll connect my computer to the big screen with the push of a button for regular YouTube stuff. I've quit NETFLIX too, until they offer someting new or a good deal.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I just want to know wtf people in the Midwest do all summer that they never watch tv? Is getting destroyed by mosquitoes a popular activity?

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009
My parents use my Netflix and ESPN+ accounts. Nobody's made a fuss about it so far.

Sure, it's not necessarily the right thing to do, but they can't enforce it without getting rid of the portability selling point. If I'm on vacation I should be able to watch my Netflix, YTTV, etc. at the hotel.

So you acknowledge that there is a difference between something being ethical and something being enforcible? It's not ethical or per the agreement that you signed, but since they can't easily enforce it, you think it's OK.

dabears32

Nov 23, 2009
Back on topic, any guesses on when any action by Roku takes place? Need to figure out if I need to get my parents a fire stick.....

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I'm good with that approach, the thing that bothers me is when someone argues that something is not against the rules just because it's what they want to do.

That's life sometimes. If something's not easily enforceable, people are going to toe the line. That's why people taking liberties with screen-sharing isn't uncommon.

• Agree
Reactions: Ozclone

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Prison time aside, any updates on YTTV/Google vs Roku? I much prefer my Roku over the Firestick.
Not that I’ve seen, these things seem to go to last second or even dark for a few days.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
That's life sometimes. If something's not easily enforceable, people are going to toe the line. That's why people taking liberties with screen-sharing isn't uncommon.

There's also a broader understanding of this particular market.

Screen sharing doesnt really hurt these companies, which is why they haven't really tried to stop it. They know it increases subscribers overall and it makes them less likely to cancel on a whim just because there's nothing they want to watch at that particular moment, because someone theyre sharing with (who may also be sharing another service with them) might be watching something themselves.

Its also the inevitable result of media companies balkanizing all media into a dozen different streaming services with so many shows having exclusivity on those services. Piracy was way down at one point before the media companies started getting greedy.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
So you acknowledge that there is a difference between something being ethical and something being enforcible? It's not ethical or per the agreement that you signed, but since they can't easily enforce it, you think it's OK.

This would be easily enforceable. They choose not to.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Does anyone have issues with their Roku overheating? My premiere stick just started doing this a couple weeks ago, and it's already mounted remote.

Also maybe ~2 months ago (or more) Google mailed us a free Chromecast, works pretty darn good. Much nicer than the earlier versions. Never had good luck with a Firestick.

TexCyted

Oct 30, 2018
DFW
I have a Vizio TV I bought at Christmas time for our new home, it has Roku built in. I am unable to get the ESPN app. Anyone know why? I have done some research but the answer is always, buy a Firestick or Chromecast. I have every other app imaginable on that TV. It seems Roku and ESPN were in a spat during the production of the TV and that app was left out . A search of available apps will not find ESPN.

I have the same problem with a Samsung TV, I am not able to download apps that were not preloaded at the time of purchase, so apps like Disney+ is not available since it is an older TV (4 years).

Are there any workarounds for issues like that. Firmware resets???