Riley Moss gets smoked by Chase Brown at Senior Bowl

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
As much as I’d like to rag on a former Hawk, he (along with all defensive players) is at a huge disadvantage here. The defense is not allowed to actually “hit” in these practices. It’s actually kind of bull **** of the RB here to hit the hole like that. He has every advantage baked in, and took Moss for a ride because of it. I’m not saying Moss wouldn’t have been trucked under normal circumstances, because I really don’t know, but I doubt highly it would have looked like this in a normal, game situation. The RB may have gotten through him, but I’d be willing to bet there would have been some stoppage of his forward momentum. He would have stood him up at least a little bit, for sure.

So Moss wasn't even trying? He would have been trucked like that in the regular season the way Brown attacked him.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
So Moss wasn't even trying? He would have been trucked like that in the regular season the way Brown attacked him.
I’m not saying he wasn’t “trying”. He got in front of him, didn’t he? This is a practice, Man.

I’ve seen video of McDonald torching the edge and in position to absolutely kill a QB if he didn’t pull up, but he does (and should).

Same thing here. Moss was there to get in front of Brown, and held up as he should. Brown should have too, but he didn’t.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I’m not saying he wasn’t “trying”. He got in front of him, didn’t he? This is a practice, Man.

I’ve seen video of McDonald torching the edge and in position to absolutely kill a QB if he didn’t pull up, but he does (and should).

Same thing here. Moss was there to get in front of Brown, and held up as he should. Brown should have too, but he didn’t.
QBs are always no touch in practice. Everyone else is high and hard wrap up stop them but don’t take them down

Moss got blown up and exposed. He’s not hiding in iowas zone defense anymore, he actually has to play football now.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
As much as I’d like to rag on a former Hawk, he (along with all defensive players) is at a huge disadvantage here. The defense is not allowed to actually “hit” in these practices. It’s actually kind of bull **** of the RB here to hit the hole like that. He has every advantage baked in, and took Moss for a ride because of it. I’m not saying Moss wouldn’t have been trucked under normal circumstances, because I really don’t know, but I doubt highly it would have looked like this in a normal, game situation. The RB may have gotten through him, but I’d be willing to bet there would have been some stoppage of his forward momentum. He would have stood him up at least a little bit, for sure.
Very surprised I got a “dumb” vote from @isufbcurt. As someone who played D1 football, why don’t you use your words to explain why what I type is wrong.

These are practice videos.

Reactions: Cydkar

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

Hell, you can't hit a QB too hard in an actual game. Not hitting the QB in practice is standard. I've never heard of defenders being required to just stand there and not hit a ball carrier. If that's really how they run their practice it's stupid and dangerous.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
QBs are always no touch in practice. Everyone else is high and hard wrap up stop them but don’t take them down

Moss got blown up and exposed. He’s not hiding in iowas zone defense anymore, he actually has to play football now.
Ok…I’m wrong then. Flame away.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Moss and Brown are not QB's and this is a showcase for scouts. Moss got wrecked.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
He picked the right school for a white CB. Ferentz will look for every reason to play the white kids first.
I knew about Moss and DeJean. Then I was watching some game late in the year and DeJean gets hurt. On trots ANOTHER white CB! Seriously, how long has it been since any other power conference team's top 3 CBs on the depth chart are white?

Moss is what he is. A good zone DB as long as he has a great front 7. He'll have a place in the league, but I don't think he'll do much.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Sounds like Moss has looked pretty good despite that play. Saw one guy said he was the fastest DB at the Senior Bowl. Because he is more slight, a system that primarily runs zone will be best for him.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I knew about Moss and DeJean. Then I was watching some game late in the year and DeJean gets hurt. On trots ANOTHER white CB! Seriously, how long has it been since any other power conference team's top 3 CBs on the depth chart are white?

Moss is what he is. A good zone DB as long as he has a great front 7. He'll have a place in the league, but I don't think he'll do much.
That kid was like their 6th DB that came in against Nebraska. They had Harris and Roberts both out with injury and then TJ Hall got pulled cause he got beat a couple times. But really who cares if DeJean and Moss are white, they are pretty elite athletes.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
That kid was like their 6th DB that came in against Nebraska. They had Harris and Roberts both out with injury and then TJ Hall got pulled cause he got beat a couple times. But really who cares if DeJean and Moss are white, they are pretty elite athletes.
That makes it a little less surprising I guess. I’m not saying they don’t belong, because clearly they do. But a white CB in power conference football is very rare, let alone having both starters and a guy playing off the bench has to be a first in decades in a Big 10 game.

I’d get some offensive snaps for DeJean in the slot. He is a playmaker.

I still don’t see Moss as a good NFL CB. He is really good in zone, eyes in the backfield. NFL teams don’t do that with their CBs very often. He could be a good S potentially but he will have to way better in run support.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
That makes it a little less surprising I guess. I’m not saying they don’t belong, because clearly they do. But a white CB in power conference football is very rare, let alone having both starters and a guy playing off the bench has to be a first in decades in a Big 10 game.

I’d get some offensive snaps for DeJean in the slot. He is a playmaker.

I still don’t see Moss as a good NFL CB. He is really good in zone, eyes in the backfield. NFL teams don’t do that with their CBs very often. He could be a good S potentially but he will have to way better in run support.
Yeah it is pretty rare. I agree about DeJean. I would have put him on the offensive side of the ball. Dude is a playmaker.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
He got smoked on that play for sure, but not sure how many DBs would have fared better in that situation either. At least he made the tackle and if it was 1st and 10, it would be 2nd and 4.

Outside of that, it seems Moss has really done well for himself this week.