Riley Moss gets smoked by Chase Brown at Senior Bowl

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I agree. Seems like he just sat back in the zone, watched the qb and then ran to the ball. Props to him for being fast enough to get to the ball and hands good enough to make the picks. But I don’t think he can cover at all. Only way he’s in the league in 2 years is if they move him to FS.

Didn't he get a lot of tipped ball INT's? That's the result of a good play by the DL getting hands up, not so much the DB.

Which is something our DL hardly ever gets btw.... tipped passes. They don't get their hands up enough.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I never understood all the love for Riley Moss. He seemed very average to me. I'll be happy to eat my words if he's successful in the NFL.
He was a really good college CB. Not sure how you could say other wise.

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
Man there is a whole lot of ignorance in this thread. From where he was positioned in that formation what else is he supposed to do? His one play to stop a full speed downhill running back is to shoot low quickly and take out his legs, not exactly something that should be occuring in practice. If you think it's even possible to break that fast from an outside contain position and somehow wrap up and stop that much forward momentum as a CB you are a moron. I'm all about hating on Hawks but they are in shorts and he couldn't (and shouldn't) make the play he probably wanted to make that he's done hundreds of times in his career.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
He was a really good college CB. Not sure how you could say other wise.
Honestly he made hay on a couple multi int/ multi pick 6 games in his career. And he ran a good 40 at the combine to trick a team into drafting him super high. I thought all of Iowa's draftees, sans van Ness, went disproportionately high. LaPorta a high 2nd round pick is probably the most egregious. He is an alright tight end, but he isn't even on Charlie Kolars level. Lions reached horribly on him.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I thought all of Iowa's draftees, sans van Ness, went disproportionately high. LaPorta a high 2nd round pick is probably the most egregious.
The guys on ESPN discussed how Van Ness was the worst overreach in the draft. Said there were many defensive players better than him still available. But, everyone's opinion is subjective and a team is going to take who they take. Nobody thought Purdy would ever play last year, either. Guess everyone had that wrong.

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
Honestly he made hay on a couple multi int/ multi pick 6 games in his career. And he ran a good 40 at the combine to trick a team into drafting him super high. I thought all of Iowa's draftees, sans van Ness, went disproportionately high. LaPorta a high 2nd round pick is probably the most egregious. He is an alright tight end, but he isn't even on Charlie Kolars level. Lions reached horribly on him.
I’m sure all the GM’s and draft analysis guys that get paid to do this for a living are wrong on their assessment and you’re right. Makes sense.

• Dumb
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

7Got6

Aug 16, 2021
The guys on ESPN discussed how Van Ness was the worst overreach in the draft. Said there were many defensive players better than him still available. But, everyone's opinion is subjective and a team is going to take who they take. Nobody thought Purdy would ever play last year, either. Guess everyone had that wrong.
Yes and there were even fewer that thought McDonald was a first round pick. But it just takes one franchise to really like you.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
It will be interesting. The Ints are a combo of playing a ton of zone. He’s a really good zone DB. He’s got good measurables that suggest he can translate, but he has played a lot more like an NFL safety. I wouldn’t use the fact that X got the best of him when they matched up as evidence he’s overrated. Two really good players going at it.

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
Man there is a whole lot of ignorance in this thread. From where he was positioned in that formation what else is he supposed to do? His one play to stop a full speed downhill running back is to shoot low quickly and take out his legs, not exactly something that should be occuring in practice. If you think it's even possible to break that fast from an outside contain position and somehow wrap up and stop that much forward momentum as a CB you are a moron. I'm all about hating on Hawks but they are in shorts and he couldn't (and shouldn't) make the play he probably wanted to make that he's done hundreds of times in his career.
Am I wrong @isufbcurt ? You are more versed than I at this level of football, I just don't see how it's possible to make that play in shorts without risking injury to the RB. Understand that I still think the video is hilarious, at the expense of Riley's pride.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Didn't he get a lot of tipped ball INT's? That's the result of a good play by the DL getting hands up, not so much the DB.

Which is something our DL hardly ever gets btw.... tipped passes. They don't get their hands up enough.

Iowa's been pretty elite with disruption up front and having lots of players in positions to get at the ball.

There's luck involved but their ability to create turnovers comes from creating a hornets' nest too.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Am I wrong @isufbcurt ? You are more versed than I at this level of football, I just don't see how it's possible to make that play in shorts without risking injury to the RB. Understand that I still think the video is hilarious, at the expense of Riley's pride.

You can still wrap up high and hard without getting trucked. Moss got trucked.

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
You can still wrap up high and hard without getting trucked. Moss got trucked.
Ok, I'll agree to disagree then, I don't think that's fair to put on a CB in outside contain in short yardage without the ability to take out legs.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
If he actually plays with any consistency at corner, he'll be breaking a race barrier that has lasted over 20 years.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
One bad play not withstanding I can see why Moss got drafted. He had a crazy amount of INTs with a definite nose for the ball. He performed very well at the combine running in the 4.4s with a 40" vertical leap. He is also 6-1. He was going to get picked, and he probably will have to move to safety. And he might honestly stick at that position.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron