Rhoads is a man with no pressure

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Not really, maybe the first year, but not when A&M left the next year. Then Baylor was a founding member of the SEC, and had a lot of success under Grant Teaff.

This staff had two years where we were going to be in the wac mtn west mac whatever.

I get that we want to sit here and whine, and so location, and talent base, history, and everything have no bearing on your opinion. good thing you didn't apply this to KJ, or you would have been trying to get him fired too.

Dude. Baylor sued A&M to slow down realignment because that's how worried they were that they were going to end up left out. Baylor was, if anything, even more screwed than we were if the Big XII fell apart.

And I already addressed the difference between our offense and Jackson. Jackson's situation could easily be compared to what Wally is facing this season. Under Jackson we got beat for a while as he rebuilt. But our individual athletes always were well prepared and overperformed and you could see them improving throughout the season. You know, kind of like our defense is this year. Which is why people aren't calling for Wally's head.

Remember how our lightweights really sucked that two years ago?

Remember what Jackson did?

He fired the lightweights coach and brought in a new guy who also addressed a weakness we had in recruiting. He accepted the problem and fixed it.

Last edited:

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I dunno man. Hawk fan might be right. PR hasn't managed to beat KSU and imo we're going to lose to KU this. Maybe my expectations are too high. Maybe I need to forget about ISU going to bowl games...

You're acting like CPR has never made it to a bowl game before.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
It is deluded. I'll give you the MAC/FCS/etc.........but what would make you think anyone would expect Iowa State to beat Iowa, TTU, KSU or KU on a regular basis? Its never happened and probably never will.

Even if we were fantastic, do you think we're going to be bringing in lots of TV viewers? Again, we're the 30 most populous state in the nation. And the majority of non-ISU grads in our state are Hawk fans. Even if our team is excellent, we still just don't have a huge fan base. And we don't have a niche draw, like a BYU or Notre Dame, or an Army/Navy.

Wow, what are we playing at? I feel so silly thinking that we could expect mediocrity. It's a sad day...like finding out Santa Claus isn't real.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
You're acting like CPR has never made it to a bowl game before.

Honestly I don't know WHAT to think...we've got Ozzie saying expecting .500 in the regular season is deluded and then you've got PR doing 75% of the time and then Angie's making the case against any recruit wanting to come to Ames, ever and we've got these 4* dudes showing up and then we're on a collision course with a 1-11 season...a feel a little overwhelmed. Maybe it's the drugs.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

He fired the lightweights coach and brought in a new guy who also addressed a weakness we had in recruiting. He accepted the problem and fixed it.

Not to turn this into a wrestling thread, BUT seeing the results from the Drexel/GV meet our lightweights still suck.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Even if we were fantastic, do you think we're going to be bringing in lots of TV viewers? Again, we're the 30 most populous state in the nation.

There's no disputing the population of Iowa. But if you look down the various realignment scenarios, there are other schools with similar TV market issues that will be facing the same fate as ISU. A good ISU FB program will probably bring more viewers than a bad one.

I don't disagree with your assessment that we'll either have to put up or take a step down, it's certainly possible - I just am not sure how we're going to take a step up with what's available, especially if we keep ****-canning coaches or driving them off every few years. It takes a while to get players to buy in to a system, to get the kinks worked out, to get recruits who fit it. Kicking out Rhoads is hardly going to fix this situation.

College football is now about offense. ISU's offense ranking over the past five years has been posted. In Chizik's last year, ISU was 59th in scoring offense. Since that time, ISU has plummeted to the 90-100 range, and there has been no significant improvement in five years.

Is it unreasonable to expect at least some improvement in the offense over that time? Hec, Chizik jumped from 111 to 59 in one year.

ISU needs a step improvement in offense. If Rhoads can't fix the offense, ISU can't be successful.

Also, ISU didn't fire Chizik; he took a better job. McCarney was at ISU for 12 years. I don't really think ISU has history of running off head FB coaches.

Last edited:

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
ISU used to be on a peninsula of the Big 12. When Mizzou and Nebraska left ISU as placed on an island.

Most programs have to get at least what 50-60% of their talent from within the state they are located or the states that borders theirs. Last time I checked none of the states that border Iowa, have any Big 12 affiliation anymore.

We get a few from Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois, but not easy to go to Big 10 country and try and convince a kid to play in the Big 12. If you cannot do that, you are pretty much stuck with Texas or Florida kids that are still talented, but usually have not been offered a scholarship, from an SEC, ACC, or Big 12 school. Even if you win, the level of recruits is not going to shift that much.

As a comparison, ISU for the most part has had good success in hoops, but we still struggle to pull premium talent. It slowly coming along we have had some decent classes, but if not for the transfer's, ISU hoops could have looked like ISU football.

Point being recruiting kids to Ames, is never going to be easy, no matter what the sport is.

Last edited:

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I dunno man. Hawk fan might be right. PR hasn't managed to beat KSU and imo we're going to lose to KU this. Maybe my expectations are too high. Maybe I need to forget about ISU going to bowl games...

ol, we will not lose to KU but cry on

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
Dude. Baylor sued A&M to slow down realignment because that's how worried they were that they were going to end up left out. Baylor was, if anything, even more screwed than we were if the Big XII fell apart.

And I already addressed the difference between our offense and Jackson. Jackson's situation could easily be compared to what Wally is facing this season. Under Jackson we got beat for a while as he rebuilt. But our individual athletes always were well prepared and overperformed and you could see them improving throughout the season. You know, kind of like our defense is this year. Which is why people aren't calling for Wally's head.

So KJ made changes, but you don't believe that CPR will?

And as far as Baylor's suit goes, that ensured that they had a place at the table in the future. 8 months later Iowa State was on the outside looking in again.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
If they are not a top player at their position and they want to play before their Jr season, they are more likely to play at Iowa State.

If they have had personal interactions with both coaching staffs and relate in some way better with CPR and Co.

If they have come to an ISU game and realize that even at 1-8 we have a nearly full stadium, while Baylor only fills their stadium for marquee games and has a tarp covering a huge section of seats that they cannot regularly fill.

Yeah a lot of kids are going to pick Baylor. There are also kids who will fall in love with all the flash at Baylor but end up transferring after a year or two because they were recruited over or never really had a chance to play and realize they were just a fallback option.

Kids go to a program for tons of different reasons. Not always the right ones either. I am hoping that in the next few years we can bring in an offensive system that is exciting and effective that will help offensive recruiting and wins overall. Until then we have to rely of kids choosing ISU for some of the other positive aspects.

But, again - are "not a top player at their position" players who wouldn't have even seen the field before their junior year elsewhere going to get us over the top? Are they going to get us consistently winning seasons in a Big XII conference with only three non-conference games?

I get what you're saying, but I also just don't think that it's going to happen that we're going to be stealing top players away from teams with more advantages without our fan base ponying up a lot more money.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
How many people honestly think we'll beat KU? KU has breaking their conf. losing streak to play for.

I'd give even odds against KU. No idea what the spread will be. I could see either team favored by 3-5 points.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Also, ISU didn't fire Chizik; he took a better job. McCarney was at ISU for 12 years. I don't really think ISU has history of running off head FB coaches.

Chizik took a job at a time that was incredibly beneficial, because a pretty huge portion of the fan base was calling for him to be gone. We were already pushing him out when he left. Yes, Danny Mac was here for 12 years - none of which counted in the end. And, again, MBB saw LE and Morgan both fired, McDermott was more than on the way before he took a step down. The same AD is over MBB (and other sports) as is over FB. It still exudes a culture of not really being with our most visible coaches during tough times.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Hey, can everybody who thinks Rhoads should be fired after this season please raise their hand? Just a quick post would be great

Because Angie can apparently see all of you, but I can't.

...The title of the thread in which you're posting is "Rhoads is a Man with No Pressure." That means that he should be under pressure.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
Chizik took a job at a time that was incredibly beneficial, because a pretty huge portion of the fan base was calling for him to be gone. We were already pushing him out when he left. Yes, Danny Mac was here for 12 years - none of which counted in the end. And, again, MBB saw LE and Morgan both fired, McDermott was more than on the way before he took a step down. The same AD is over MBB (and other sports) as is over FB. It still exudes a culture of not really being with our most visible coaches during tough times.

The problem with Iowa State coaches is that our AD gives them ridiculous contracts that we cannot afford to buy out of and we give these contacts to them usually before we see the type of success that deserves long term contracts. However, thats the nature of getting a "good" coach to Iowa State (Hoiberg/Rhoads have been good) you aren't going to get them here with measly 2-3 year deals.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
The problem with Iowa State coaches is that our AD gives them ridiculous contracts that we cannot afford to buy out of and we give these contacts to them usually before we see the type of success that deserves long term contracts. However, thats the nature of getting a "good" coach to Iowa State (Hoiberg/Rhoads have been good) you aren't going to get them here with measly 2-3 year deals.

I agree - that goes back to asking what the answer is? A lot of our issues could be overcome with deeper pockets by all of us, but that isn't happening. So, as much as we all want to ***** and blame Pollard and Rhoads and whomever else, we're contributing to this cluster****. We all can effect change. But it's just a whole lot easier to get on here and complain.

Reactions: GoSTATE71

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Position coaches, as a rule, are always on single year contracts. Fixing the Mess that is Messingham doesn't cost a dime.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Iowa State: 485-603-45, .448

.448x12 = 5.376 wins per 12 games.

Five wins in 12 games doesn't even require hitting Iowa State's historical average.

I'm not sure where that info is coming from. According to cyclones.com, through 2012, ISU has played 121 seasons with an all-time record of 505-602-46. Per season that is 4.18 wins. You can't base it off a 12 game schedule because the 12 game schedule didn't even start until 2006.

http://www.cyclones.com//pdf9/2335086.pdf?SPSID=48323&SPID=4653&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=10700