return of Bubu

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
We can hardly say that with certainty without seeing Long play. Due to his hand injury his time was/is limited. But carry on.

So, like I said, at this point. Thats better than anything we have. Healthy or not, Long's potential isn't giving us anything right now. Not a knock on the guy but he hasn't shown much so far. If a guy can't play, how can he be better than a guy who can?

TurbulentEddie

Nov 16, 2012
Madison, WI
We can hardly say that with certainty without seeing Long play. Due to his hand injury his time was/is limited. But carry on.
Long turned the ball over more often than Lucious did when ISU was playing bad teams and his injury wasn't an issue. Historically, Bubu hasn't turned it over that often. That, to me at least, is the key stat.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
i'm witholding judgement on bubu's game until he plays big minutes in a meaningful game against good competition, someone like a UCONN or Kentucky.

TheAdmiral

Oct 1, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Here's a scenario me and my friend came up with. What if we redshirt Bubu this year. Let Naz get some minutes behind Lucious and have Clyburn continue to run the point at times. Then next year, red shirt either Naz or Monte Morris. Which ever one doesnt red shirt plays with Bubu and Maurice Jones.

Reactions: CyDude16

TheAdmiral

Oct 1, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Thats a shame. Well forget my suggestion then. But basically we should have people go accuse KU players of serious crimes, get them hung up in court, and then waste half a year of eligibility.

Cyke

Jun 22, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Yes, he has redshirted and no, I would think the chances of getting another year for being in trouble with the law remote at best.

he technically isnt in legal trouble though. wrongfully accused or guilty and lucky, it doesnt matter. there are no charges against him. I can see him possibly getting another year if he tried. the true question is, why would we try? We have so many guards coming in. we need the scholarship.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Even if they could redshirt him, I don't think that would be the best idea. We'll have Clayton that year along with Jones, if eligible, Monte and Naz. That's already a crowded backcourt without Bubu.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
he technically isnt in legal trouble though. wrongfully accused or guilty and lucky, it doesnt matter. there are no charges against him. I can see him possibly getting another year if he tried. the true question is, why would we try? We have so many guards coming in. we need the scholarship.

Isn't in legal trouble but was in legal trouble. The NCAA is about three things: Money, money and their image (because it affects how much money they can make). What do you think they will be thinking about their image when a request comes across their desk for another year for a player who was accused of rape. Right or wrong, I'm certain that will be a no brainer for them.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Here's a scenario me and my friend came up with. What if we redshirt Bubu this year. Let Naz get some minutes behind Lucious and have Clyburn continue to run the point at times. Then next year, red shirt either Naz or Monte Morris. Which ever one doesnt red shirt plays with Bubu and Maurice Jones.

He cannot redshirt. It would be a long shot to get him a redshirt due to legal issues. He would have to sit out the rest of the year not knowing if he would even get it. If Naz was good enough to play this year he would be seeing PT.

stevefrench

Aug 7, 2011
wow. just got off of work and checked on this thread. wasnt expecting as much feedback. nallen really hit in on the noggin. bubu is a quality bench player and thats something to be excited about. as for stevefrench, im just confused. you referenced bubu's one wild shot against uconn (which went in with the shot clock expiring)... bubu is far from a turnover machine and never takes bad shots. smart basketball player that plays good defense. go clones

bubu's career turnover to assist ratio is almost 1-1

TurbulentEddie

Nov 16, 2012
Madison, WI
bubu's career turnover to assist ratio is almost 1-1
Let's ignore assists, because the more important thing is just that the ball doesn't get turned over when the PG has the ball, whether or not he makes a nice pass for an easy bucket.

TO Rate (turnovers per 100 possessions used):
Palo 2010-2011: 19.3
Palo 2011-2012: 25.2
Lucious 2012-2013: 31.0
Long 2012-2013: 44.3

Bonus note: Naz Long's minutes have come against crappy teams.

Edit: Almost the same story if you look at a TO per 40 min basis:
Palo 2010-2011: 2.04
Palo 2011-2012: 3.17
Lucious 2012-2013: 4.88
Long 2012-2013: 5.19

I'm cool with Bubu bringing the ball up.

Last edited:

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Even if they could redshirt him, I don't think that would be the best idea. We'll have Clayton that year along with Jones, if eligible, Monte and Naz. That's already a crowded backcourt without Bubu.

Exactly. Bubu is on track to be done playing at the end of the 2013-14 season. Clay Custer is on track to start playing at the beginning of the 2014-15 season. In other words Clay Custer is Bubu's replacement.