REPORT: Pac-12 talking with Apple about TV rights

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I cant help but think these digital deals are shortsighted.

Sure, the money may be competitive, but you lose something not being on a channel that can be flipped to easily, and not being on a channel that nearly every bar can pick up.

Same situation for ESPN+ games for the big 12, when before almost all of those found their way onto some cable network. How much exposure is the conference losing because casual fans don't get the games?

The PAC-12 has its own issues for sure that may make them desperate enough to go this route, but not sure it'd be a good deal for others.

Reactions: aauummm

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Only a matter of time. Blum and I discussed this a few weeks ago on the pod. These companies are thriving right now while Disney's and FOX's are getting killed financially.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2020/04/20/Media/Pac12-digital-rights.aspx
P12 Presidents would love for Apple or another FAANG to buy out PACN from them and provide immediate entry into the CFB and CBB production space. Larry Scott may not approve but given the cash starved nature of P12 Athletic Departments, they will eventually overrule Scott or finally fire him. And if Apple or another FAANG does buy PACN, they will likely engage the B12 as a partner to expand their primary footprint, especially given that the ACC and SEC are (or will be) both married to Disney/ESPN for all of their FB rights and the B10 is primarily married to FOX.

Reactions: brentblum

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006

Sure, the money may be competitive, but you lose something not being on a channel that can be flipped to easily, and not being on a channel that nearly every bar can pick up.

Same situation for ESPN+ games for the big 12, when before almost all of those found their way onto some cable network. How much exposure is the conference losing because casual fans don't get the games?

The PAC-12 has its own issues for sure that may make them desperate enough to go this route, but not sure it'd be a good deal for others.

If Apple or another FAANG get into live premium CFB/CBB production, they will likely buy PACN to provide them immediate entry, especially given PACN is based in the Bay Area where all or most of the FAANGs have corporate offices. If that happens and they secure the P12 (and possibly B12) media rights, they can sublicense a GOTW to an OTA provider to maximize exposure for the conference(s). Need to keep in mind that CBS will likely want to replace their SEC GOTW. Instead of CBS/CBSSN footing the bill for those rights, they may be better off working with a FAANG to fill the SEC GOTW void.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Can we get the Big XII on Amazon?. Yeah probably not since we sold out to the evil mouse house. Oh well.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Can we get the Big XII on Amazon?. Yeah probably not since we sold out to the evil mouse house. Oh well.
I don't believe the ESPN+ deal extends beyond the end date of the existing B12 deals with ESPN & Fox. The ESPN+ deal was cut when Fox dropped the B12 CCG and as part of the deal for ESPN to pick up those dropped CCGs, the B12 agreed to move some of their games to the ESPN+ platform.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

Might be bad for the B12 in the short term, I'd love it if somebody like Amazon picked it up and I just had one source for it. I'd just love it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron