Report: OU & Texas reach out to join SEC

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think if the Pac 12 expanded to 16 with four Big 12 teams, you HAVE to go to pods. All the non-California schools want access to California, so you couldn't go with a clean East/West split.

NW Pod
Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State

California Pod
Stanford, Cal, USC, UCLA

Mountain Pod
Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State

Midwest Pod
Whichever Big 12 teams

You play the three teams in your pod every year, preserving rivalries, and two against each other pod (one home, one away). This gets you to 9 conference games, and guarantees a road game and a home game against each region, rotated so that you can face every other team home and away within a span of four years. Also ensures each team plays a game within the state of California every year. It also ensures all California schools play each other every year, which was a sticking point when the league went to 12.

I like the general idea, but think it's preferable to play everyone in your pod every year, and two in each other pod (alternating years, so you play everyone at least once every two years).

xr4ticlone

Oct 1, 2006
Texas
Here's a question. Does a successful lawsuit against ESPN mean that they'd be restricted from paying ou/ut & prohibit them from leaving?

I know a forced marriage isn't a great option. BUT it'd be really fun to have them stuck here & miserable at this point. :cool: It's not like they'd tank their programs...they'd rather die. They can ***** all the way to Ames, Manhattan, Stillwater, & Lubbock about their plight...which would only make it funnier.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Here's a question. Does a successful lawsuit against ESPN mean that they'd be restricted from paying ou/ut & prohibit them from leaving?

I know a forced marriage isn't a great option. BUT it'd be really fun to have them stuck here & miserable at this point. :cool: It's not like they'd tank their programs...they'd rather die. They can ***** all the way to Ames, Manhattan, Stillwater, & Lubbock about their plight...which would only make it funnier.

It means a larger buyout. We'll want to move on just as badly as they do.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
I wonder exactly WHY they tried to do it. I just don't understand how they thought it would actually work. Just like I understand WHY some loser guy might try to ask a supermodel out on a date.

But yes, I agree, not time to panic. If anything, such a move shows that ESPN was acting out of absolute panic, incredible stupidity or both.
Why did ESPN try it? They are trying to save money because they made bad business decisions prior to streaming becoming more prevalent. They made a bold move with the SEC, have built them up to be their cash cow, and the only thing they can do now is get the remaining 8 a home in the only conference they have that kind of pull in, the AAC. They can't go to the Big 10 or Pac 12 and tell them to pick up any team. Fox pretty much owns those leagues. The ACC can't and won't take the 8, so that leaves the AAC. It's the only card ESPN has left, it's a bad one, and they were still arrogant enough to play it.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I think if the Pac 12 expanded to 16 with four Big 12 teams, you HAVE to go to pods. All the non-California schools want access to California, so you couldn't go with a clean East/West split.

NW Pod
Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State

California Pod
Stanford, Cal, USC, UCLA

Mountain Pod
Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State

Midwest Pod
Whichever Big 12 teams

You play the three teams in your pod every year, preserving rivalries, and two against each other pod (one home, one away). This gets you to 9 conference games, and guarantees a road game and a home game against each region, rotated so that you can face every other team home and away within a span of four years. Also ensures each team plays a game within the state of California every year. It also ensures all California schools play each other every year, which was a sticking point when the league went to 12.

I like this general set up although I like the idea of pod pairing to form divisions.

E.G. in Year 1 the NW and California pods form a division and Mountain/Midwest is the opposite; in Year 2, it's NW/Mountain and California/Midwest; in Year 3, NW/Midwest and California/Mountain. You play your division (7 games) plus 2 of the 8 in the other division. And division winners square off in the CCG. You can also set up the 2 of 8 opposite division games such that one of them is always a California school (which would guarantee at least one game in California 2/3 years and two games there 1/3 years).

I just personally prefer to keep schedules as similar as possible when they determine who makes a CCG, which also is likely to determine who makes the 12-team playoff down the line. No one should luck into it with a super soft schedule like 2015 Iowa.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I like this general set up although I like the idea of pod pairing to form divisions.

E.G. in Year 1 the NW and California pods form a division and Mountain/Midwest is the opposite; in Year 2, it's NW/Mountain and California/Midwest; in Year 3, NW/Midwest and California/Mountain. You play your division (7 games) plus 2 of the 8 in the other division. And division winners square off in the CCG. You can also set up the 2 of 8 opposite division games such that one of them is always a California school (which would guarantee at least one game in California 2/3 years and two games there 1/3 years).

I just personally prefer to keep schedules as similar as possible when they determine who makes a CCG, which also is likely to determine who makes the 12-team playoff down the line. No one should luck into it with a super soft schedule like 2015 Iowa.

I wouldn't care as long as ISU came down here and kicked the Devils ass once in a while!

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
It means a larger buyout. We'll want to move on just as badly as they do.

...and I believe a significantly larger buyout, as in full contract. If the digging gets deep and ESPN is found to have colluded with OU/Tex and SEC me thinks the entire remainder of the contract could be up for grabs as a settlement. I believe $1.6Billion. Who knows if there could be more for 'damages to the institution' based on things ESPN personalities have said on Twitter etc about the other schools not having value etc. That is damaging to each schools brand.

I am CLEARLY no attorney and have NO legal training but that is something I thought of.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
The legal aspect of this is fascinating and it's hard to not get the popcorn out and sit back and watch. IMO, ESPN/SEC/AAC could be ******. And I will LOL at it because a TAMU schill leaked it to the press.

And also **** ESPN and **** the SEC. Lol @ AAC

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
I wonder exactly WHY they tried to do it. I just don't understand how they thought it would actually work. Just like I understand WHY some loser guy might try to ask a supermodel out on a date.

But yes, I agree, not time to panic. If anything, such a move shows that ESPN was acting out of absolute panic, incredible stupidity or both.

the future of college football is the super brand conference. None of the rest of the schools outside of that small conglomerate matter.

they didn’t consider any blowback because they have created a media reality that no one cares about the rest. They will accept the scraps their offered because they know that’s all they deserve.

it’s trended this way for years, this was the big play to set the rest of the wheels in motion. It’s why people talking about conference affiliation are totally off base

Reactions: khardbored
D

Deleted member 51515

In my view, with the landscape of college athletics changing, conference affiliation matters exponentially more going forward. My opinion is that both ISU and UI are on the outside looking in. The best chance for one of them to remain relevant is for the other to take a back seat. Even then, it is hard for me believe either school will be relevant on the national stage 15 years from now.

Hawk fans who are taking joy in what is happening to ISU are naive to think otherwise. What is best for the state of Iowa would be for both teams to be nationally relevant. With that said, it seems clear to me that JP and other Big 12 conference schools sought indications of interest from other conferences and were politely told "not now".

Digging in until 2025 will end badly. Breaking away within 1 year will end badly. The remaining 8 will hold out as long as they can to make UT/OU pay as much as possible, but JP seems to understand they are ending up in the MAC no matter what. You might as well seek as much in damages as you can in the process. UI will face a similar fate by 2035 is my guess.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
In my view, with the landscape of college athletics changing, conference affiliation matters exponentially more going forward. My opinion is that both ISU and UI are on the outside looking in. The best chance for one of them to remain relevant is for the other to take a back seat. Even then, it is hard for me believe either school will be relevant on the national stage 15 years from now.

Hawk fans who are taking joy in what is happening to ISU are naive to think otherwise. What is best for the state of Iowa would be for both teams to be nationally relevant. With that said, it seems clear to me that JP and other Big 12 conference schools sought indications of interest from other conferences and were politely told "not now".

Digging in until 2025 will end badly. Breaking away within 1 year will end badly. The remaining 8 will hold out as long as they can to make UT/OU pay as much as possible, but JP seems to understand they are ending up in the MAC no matter what. You might as well seek as much in damages as you can in the process. UI will face a similar fate by 2035 is my guess.
JFC we’re not going to be in the MAC, shut the **** up.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

Your only saving grace in this **** post is your understanding that Iowa will ultimately share a similar fate to ISU. Most tavern hoks don’t even have that much basis in reality.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

No.

D

Deleted member 51515

Time will tell. It is not my intent to trigger such volatile emotions from some of you. It is just a view. No more no less. My view is likely more objective than most on this forum. With that said, time will prove me right or it will prove me wrong. I want ISU and Iowa to remain nationally relevant. Neither school is in a strong position over the next 2-15 years.

I wish everyone a good day!

• Dumb
Reactions: Cyched

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Time will tell. It is not my intent to trigger such volatile emotions from some of you. It is just a view. No more no less. My view is likely more objective than most on this forum. With that said, time will prove me right or it will prove me wrong. I want ISU and Iowa to remain nationally relevant. Neither school is in a strong position over the next 2-15 years.

Saying we’re going to the MAC is absolutely not objective. Our floor is a bastardized version of the Big 12.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

Most in here believes we are far from in a good position at all. But to speak with certainty that ISU is destined for the MAC is not a good take.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron