REPORT: No Big 12 expansion...this year at least

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Since the MAC plays a lot of their nationally televised games during the week nights, they get more viewers just because the casual fan wants to watch college football on a Tues or Wed night. I think the MAC is the only show during those nights on ESPN/2. However, if any of those teams were to join a P5 conference and play their games on Saturday, their ratings would plummet.

I'm curious how many people have watched our Thursday night games.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I'm curious how many people have watched our Thursday night games.
We haven't had a Thursday game since 2013.
But in 2013:
Thursday vs Tulsa - 244K on FS1. (2nd highest of 3 games)
Thursday Vs Texas 2.4 Million on ESPN. (Highest of 3 games)

2012:
Friday vs WVU - 2.8 Million on ABC. (3rd highest of 8 games)

Last edited:

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Sports Media Watch. With the world of what we call the Internet and a simple google search do you think I just made all that up? You say teams that are never on tv? Like who? Step outside of our state for a second. A lot of games are regional and even though they may not be P5 they still have games on tv..

http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013...ball-tv-ratings-2013-regular-season-final-sec

Looking at the data. When you only have 4 or 5 games that are rated it will bring your average up, since the bad match ups are not on TV. When a team like NIU plays in a bowl game it really bumps their average since not many games are rated, same as when they play a P5 school. Yes there are regional games, but they are not rated and I doubt they get huge viewership.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
But it's all about the money, and the BIG 12 is third in conference revenue, ahead of the PAC 12. Also, isn't it only a couple years until the BIG 12 is back at the TV negotiation table?

Regarding NIU. I grew up maybe 30 minutes from NIU. Grew up in St. Charles. I never went to an NIU game, nobody, in my 18 years of living there did anyone care about NIU. Nobody cares as about NIU. If nobody really cares about Northwestern, no one is going to care about NIU. NIU only makes sense from a cable subscription angle, which is an dwindling market. I think the real money made is in advertising, and I believe an online network is the way to go to capture as much of that ad money as possible.
I agree with SCN. I live right next door to St. Charles (in Warrenville) and the only reason we've ever gone to an NIU game is because our daughter was invited to play with the band there. Nobody here cares about NIU.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
NIU brings Chicago like LIU brings NYC.

No one cares about NIU. And I really hope this is the last post about them. Because they will not be considered.

I lived in Chicago for 15 years and have been to NYC many times. Rutgers doesn't have any more fan presence in NYC than niu does in Chicago. They are both probably very stupid long run additions. Rutgers was dead last sagarin in hoops and second to last in football this year among P5, they are a worse AD than NIU.

Last edited:

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Look I'm just passing along what other writers scenerios are and what's is name said give me a scenario where Isu is left out(so I did) ..and a lot have written with ISU being left out and even if just one is writing that it's one too many for me...We are so skewed because we love ISU. Of course nobody wants this to happen..accept maybe iowa fans..but reality is that if others are writing these scenerios it's not impossible...expansion is only about one thing...$$ and TV revenue..

But WTS..I'm actually stepping back off the ledge and beginning to feel a little better about where the big 12 is given a record revenue year in 2015..If TX and OU remain happy the all is good. And right now Tx is making more money than most and OU prob made $38mil+ more than any big ten school..

A lot of what you read from other "writers" might also be skewed because a lot of them are idiots and just make sh@@ up.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Where is that info from. I call BS. How can teams that are never on TV or hidden draw more views than teams that are on every week? What is the total season viewership of the teams. The teams ISU plays is going to bring their average up over some of those schools that play no body week in week out.

Because NIU plays on Tuesday nights on ESPN. People will tune in just to watch the half time show and listen to the announcers talk about the upcoming weekend games. Iowa State is going up against the weekly SEC game on CBS, or Notre Dame (NBC), or the national ABC game, etc. etc..